Modular V10 (6.8l)  

F 53 Triton V10 HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Teresa Welsh Leist
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F 53 Triton V10 HELP please

Hello all! Hopefully I can get more help here than the Ford garage could do!
We have a 2008 F 53 Chassis with a Triton V10 ((Motorhome))
We were driving down the road and the engine just shut off, no warnings or lights came on, just shut off. We were able to pull off the road, however when we tried to start, nothing....not even trying to engage just nothing. Called out repair mechanic, they could find nothing either. Called another mobile RV repair, he didn't find anything either.
SO, had to call a tow truck to take us to a Ford Dealer.
They were able to test it and it came back that the battery was bad. So, new battery, numbers were low (12-13 range) so decided it was also the alternator. New alternator. Started up, numbers were great! So off we went! Got to our destination, drove to dump, started perfectly, drove around to get water and BOOM ~ nothing, would not even turn over!! Waited about 15 minutes and finally it started. Got parked. NOW what in the heck is making our RV motor do this??? When you turn the key to start you get absolutely nothing....no sounds.
the whole motor home did not die, only the engine....steps worked fine, as did 12v lights; all dash lights worked; just would not turn over and start. they jumped over the starter and it would not start, it turned over but would not start.
We just purchased an OBDII scanner, put it on and absolutely no codes came up, now we are really stumped.

We cleaned ALL of the connections to anything with the battery;
ANY assistance that we can try is MOST WELCOME!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, just trying to clarify some information. New Alternator, new battery, and things were fine. It died again while moving, and (will or won't?) turn over, and won't start?

If it's only turning over, sounds like you're not getting ignition, which would cause it to die like it's doing. Maybe your spark harness is grounding out somewhere? I would think if it was a fuel issue you'd have some sputtering before it died.

Just a thought without more info. Any history information on the vehicle? Storage conditions, mileage etc? Is it possible where you live a rodent may have chewed any wiring?

Not sure if the computer would get a code from a sudden hard ground on the ignition system. I could be wrong. (I'm not an expert!)

Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Teresa Welsh Leist
New User
New alternator, new battery and yes everything was fine until we reached our destination about 150 miles, we stopped, shut it off and tried starting and nothing. it does not turn over, no engaging or anything.

we have lived in it since June with no other problems with traveling. traveled to texas and back to florida with no issues.
no sputtering, chugging or anything, just died with absolutely no warnings. all of the dash lights still worked, just engine stopped.

we have 29000 miles on it. one of the "mechanics" who came out did try jumping over the starter and it turned over just would not start.

it will not turn over and will not start, we are going to change the ignition module on wednesday as it had to be ordered. was told by yet another ford tech that it could be 40 other things! I guess it is just trial and error at this point unless someone can offer something else that we can try.

Thanks all!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Twice you’ve said nothing happens when you turn the key.

And twice you’ve said it turns over but doesn’t start.

Those two two statements are mutually exclusive. They can’t both be true.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely sounds like something in the ignition system, a relay or something maybe. Or maybe an issue with the Anti-Theft system, assuming there is one. Sounds a lot like an immobilizer.

Engine will turn over in some form or another but won't start. There's something limiting fuel or spark or both. 29k on the clock everything should be in pristine condition. If it has an immobilizer/anti-theft system and they haven't checked it, have them check that.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Teresa Welsh Leist
New User
Well, I think what I said was in my first post that the mechanic jumped over the starter and it turned over but would not start

we do not have an anti theft system/immobilizer

Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Jumping the starter" is not a term that is commonly used. It might mean that the man jump started the vehicle or it might mean that he jumpered around the ignition system. Lets assume he jump started the motor home and it cranked but would not start. In that case other tests need to be done. The mechanic will next check for fuel pressure. That will determine if you have a fuel issue or an electrical issue. From your description of the motor home running until it was turned off, your problem is slightly more likely to be in the electrical system.

You have a new battery, and a new alternator. The motor home charging system tested good once both parts were changed. Then you drove 150 miles. It is possible that there is a short in your electrical system or a problem with your charging system that did not show up at the time the alternator was changed. You may still have a problem in your charging system. Your battery and alternator need to be retested.

Somebody troubleshot your problem and ordered an ignition module. Although an ignition module is common on many vehicles, I don't think this truck has an ignition module. I think it has 10 individual coils. I did a quick check on a parts store web site to check myself, and I think I am correct. So...I'm wondering what is going on with that troubleshooting issue. Something seems wrong here.

Your problem should not be hit or miss, but it will require a competent technician to troubleshoot. Ask around and find out who is the best electrical troubleshooter in the town you are in.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:00 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Teresa Welsh Leist
.... however when we tried to start, nothing
....not even trying to engage just nothing.
...nothing, would not even turn over!! Waited about 15 minutes and finally it started.
... When you turn the key to start you get absolutely nothing....no sounds.
...just would not turn over and start.

.... jumped over the starter and it would not start, it turned over but would not start.
Five times you indicated “nothing” which I interpret as no cranking and no clicking when turning the key.
One time you indicated “turned over but wouldn’t start” which I interpret as the engine cranking but not starting.

am I correct?

Old 03-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Teresa Welsh Leist
...we stopped, shut it off and tried starting and nothing.
... it does not turn over, no engaging or anything.

... one of the "mechanics" who came out did try jumping over the starter and it turned over just would not start.

...it will not turn over and will not start,
nothing, nothing, cranks but won’t start, cranks but won’t start.

Am am I the only one getting mixed messages here?

theresa I’m not trying to harass you.
Maybe im wrong and your story makes sense. Please clarify.

Are you having both symptoms (“nothing”, and “cranks but won’t start”)? Or just one?

nonehtless I suspect the ignition switch or a related component.
And I agree with the other guy- your engine has individual coil packs, not an ignition module.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
After reading your post think you might have a couple issues.

1) 12 or 13 vdc is not bad for a battery that is not being charged by an alternator. So your first issue is your mechanic that told you 12 or 13 vdc means you need a new battery.....and alternstor. If he load tested that' another story. This "kinda" tells me you are not dealing with a dead short type of issue.

2) if engine died without any charging lights on than I suspect fuel pump. But your motor will not crank so we need to determine what kills motor, and prevents cranking.

now.....most of the issues I deal with are caused by a mechanic who should not be working on stuff. IE sensor wires not reconnected after repair, battery clamps not tight, or junk refurbished parts put on that were bad when installed.

Cranking this motor over via starter jumping will not start it. There will be no power to injectors, coils, cps or crank sensors. All that did iS tell you the starter can work and battery has enough juice to crank motor. If key was in on position than a starter jump may work....I don't know.

I recommend a review of all the previous mechanics work. Alternator check, connections to it, and check his work on batteries and their cables. Check anything he could have touched and confirm all is ok.

ignition module!!!
run from this guy.

ignition relay!
guy might be ok.

ignition switch!
Guy might be ok.

My 1st go to fix is........ easiest first.

Make sure shift linkage and/or neutral safety switch is correct. If your pcm does not think transmission is in park or neutral the motor wI'll not crank.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Last summer we had a problem with our 12 E450 in a winnebago. Stopped for fuel and it would not start, got a hung starter when key released. When did start would only backfire and stumble to run. Shut down and it would start. While leaving I17 to I40 it died again, after 10 to 15 mins along the road it started, left it running at the KOA, got to parking NOTHING. Would motor over, no start, hung start again. Called for roadside, diagnosed as bad fuel pump!

Anyhow there is a start switch on the steering column that had gone bad (hung start) so maybe yours has gone out just the opposite. Not expensive around $30-40 as I recall. Spent $500 on new fuel pump and had same conditions, would motor over but not start, no codes nothing. Had the front of engine all pulled apart, even replaced TPS. Anyhow after another day of trying to figure out, the shop had a armored vehicle down for a transmission. The guy pulled the fuel pump relay (frame mounted), replaced mine and all was fine. Ford parts did not have, no auto stores had, so had to special order. Anyhow on net, and autozone they were $250 or better in cost, at Orielly and dealer less than $75. Not saying this is your problem but you do seem to have some similar issues but in reverse of mine. BTW did get a reading of bad battery, bad fuel cap, they were also R&R'd.