1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Towing with a 64 F100?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 08:45 AM
Kesselrun
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing with a 64 F100?

I was going to put this in the towing forum but I figured that I would get better real world information here. My question is how much can I safely tow with my 64 F100? I'm looking to be able to tow my Legends race car in my 7,500 GVW enclosed trailer with electric brakes. I will not be near the max capacity of the trailer, probably near 6,000lbs realistically. Here is the important info about the truck that is currently being built--
8ft bed 2wd
5,000lb GVWR
3.89 rear end completely rebuilt
.060 over 292 Y-block ,4bbl, headers--plenty of HP and torque to get it moving
Transmission-- undecided
Power front disc brake conversion with trailer brakes-- no problem stopping it
All new-- leaf springs front and back, bushings,kingpins etc...
I figure that if I can safely get it moving and pull it as well as being able to safely stop it shouldn't be a problem, my only concern is that maybe the frame isn't strong enough to handle it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 01-06-2023, 10:55 AM
MikeyLawless
Tuned
Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
People towed stuff with these trucks in the past. With the proper hitch, it is do-able. It will need to be a stout hitch integrated into the frame for certain.
You WILL need trailer brakes. You will probably need a load equalizer, and maybe overload springs in the back. One of the key concerns to the tongue weight. The rear axle of the truck can only handle so much.

Keep in mind it's not just your neck on the line. If you lose control, it could hurt others too

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2023, 11:43 AM
Greaser007
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 189 Posts
Hmm, I would venture to say you may have a change of mind once your pickup wrestles with 6.000 lbs of trailer.

But with safe driving manners, you could tow safely.
Once you hit a long uphill grade, you will be holding up traffic behind you on a conventional highway (not a 4-lane expressway)..

Old 01-06-2023, 06:57 PM
53deere
Fleet Mechanic
Received 283 Likes on 198 Posts
I think a lot depends on the terrain, how fast you want to go, and how far. Will need a good frame mounted receiver hitch and equalizer hitch would help.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:15 PM
fivestarmmd
More Turbo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Its going to be sketchy, a 38-3900# tow vehicle with 60-7000# load.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:39 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyLawless
People towed stuff with these trucks in the past. With the proper hitch, it is do-able. It will need to be a stout hitch integrated into the frame for certain.
You WILL need trailer brakes. You will probably need a load equalizer, and maybe overload springs in the back. One of the key concerns to the tongue weight. The rear axle of the truck can only handle so much.

Keep in mind it's not just your neck on the line. If you lose control, it could hurt others too
If he is using a weight distributing hitch he would not need any over load springs as the hitch assy. moves the weight off the rear to the front of the truck.

Originally Posted by fivestarmmd
Its going to be sketchy, a 38-3900# tow vehicle with 60-7000# load.
So what would you use?
Look at every trailer truck running down the roads what dose the tractor weigh to the weight in the trailer?
Also look at any travel trailer / 5th wheel weight and the weight if what is pulling them.
There is no way you will ever get a tow car / truck to weigh more that the trailer.

This is my 02 Durango (360 efi / atuo / 3.92 rear gear built to pull this trailer) pulling my drag car (3500 lb yes it is heavy) and trailer guessing of 2000 lb and I needed a weight distributing hitch and the soft rear springs sagged even with an empty trailer. If you look there is also a rear axle on the front of the trailer so that added to the total weight.

I built my 81 F100 flare side, 300 six, NP435 (granny first gear) 2.75 gear 9" rear, and have a Advance Adapter over drive so can split all the gears if need be, as a back up to pull this trailer & car.
They use the 300 six in much larger & heavier trucks so it will get the job done just not really fast.
Both the Durango & the F100 are set up with electric trailer brakes so stopping is not an issue.
I am sure I will need the WD hitch on the F100 because of the soft rear springs.

I think with a WD hitch he will be fine to use the truck to pull that trailer.
Dave ----

Old 01-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Kesselrun
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info FuzzFace, I hadn't considered a WD hitch but that definitely is a good idea. The 64 won't be my primary tow vehicle, I have an 03 Chevy 2500 for that. I'm building my 64 to use it, I don't see any sense in fixing up an old truck just to have it look pretty on Sunday drives.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:49 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
The Durango is the primary puller but if if I had to get something say 50 to 100 miles away I would think of using the F100.
Funny thing when I went to pick up my F100 and a prats truck the Durango was in the shop so had to rent a truck to pull the trailer.
That is when I told my self the F100 would be a back up.

I hear you on the good looking Sunday truck.
I use mine to / from work a lot, 40 miles each way and to haul the weekly trash to the dump.
I do take the truck to cars & coffee shows and club shows but not for any prize just to show it off.
Dave ----

Old 01-08-2023, 08:00 AM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts
I actually have real world knowledge of towing with a 64 and 292. I have a 64 292 4 speed 1/2ton SWB 2wd with 410 gears limited slip. When it was my daily driver I towed a snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds on it all the time in the mountains. It had no problem doing it. I wouldn't do it today though. Back then people were less in a hurry and there was way less traffic on the roads. You will be in the way. 3000 lbs max maybe, 7000 lbs. No way in HE double toothpicks. Get yourself a newer more capable tow vehicle.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:22 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I say as long as you are not a jack azz and drive to the left blocking traffic and doing the speed limit then go for it.
Big rigs are set to a top speed of 60 to 65 MPH by the Co. they drive for.
I am lucky that my Co. sets the top to 70 (newer drivers) to 75 MPH and if going out west to 80 MPH.
The speed limit here is 70 MPH so the 60 - 65 is slower and again if they stay to the right is not a big deal.

BTW the school busses here are set to 45 MPH top speed and they are on the same 65 to 70 MPH speed limit roads as the rest of us.

IIRC travel trailer tires are rated for the top speed of 60 MPH and if they did that do you think they would be holding up traffic?
Uhaul trailers are limit to think 45 MPH not that anyone does that.

I am sure he will be ok with a WD hitch setup, electric brakes and can maintain a good safe speed and let the speeders fly by as they wish.
Again it will not be the main tow rig just something different to show up with.
Dave ----

Old 01-08-2023, 12:30 PM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
I did a little research. In 1978 which is as far back as I could find ratings for towing with an F150, the towing capacity with a trailer equipped with brakes was 3968 pounds. I would imagine the 64 would be even less. If you were towing 6000 pounds you would be well in excess of GCWR. Which could subject you at the very least to fines. And God forbid you have a wreck and hurt someone the lawyers would eat you for lunch. As stated earlier get a newer vehicle that is rated to tow that kind of weight. I use a 1 ton and tow a 10K GVWR trailer with my 64 in it and am pushing the max GCWR with it. But it is your choice.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:44 AM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
So what would you use?
Look at every trailer truck running down the roads what dose the tractor weigh to the weight in the trailer?
Also look at any travel trailer / 5th wheel weight and the weight if what is pulling them.
There is no way you will ever get a tow car / truck to weigh more that the trailer.

Every semi on the road was built to handle 80K lbs. A 64 F100 was not built to handle towing a 6-7K pound trailer. Look at the frame on a 64 compared to a frame alone on an any 1/2 ton pickup built today. Huge difference. He says he has a 3/4 ton pickup. Don't know why he is even thinking about towing with a 60 year old pickup. Can it be done? Yes. Can you tow a 2000 pound trailer with a Harley? I am sure you could but would it be safe for everyone else on the road? Life is full of choices. Good and bad. To me this would be a bad choice. I will continue to drive my old pretty truck on Sundays and any other day of the week I want to and I will leave the work for my 1 ton and be safe doing what it was built to do.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:40 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
Not trying to argue here but am curious what are the concerns with towing 7k behind an F100? I've never driven or looked at an F100. I've done a fair amount of towing with my '65 F250 and know where my comfort zone is there. Based on that I'd probably limit the F100 towing to 7k or less. One benefit of sorts to these older trucks is their stock engines didn't make enough power to hurt their trannies or rear ends.

And I'd apply the same strategy I would to any truck of any age. Safety check all brake and suspension parts, take it easy at first and stay within my comfort zone...keep the speed down, stay close to home, etc. For instance, I doubt I'd feel too at ease with 7.5K behind a new ranger, 14k behind a new F150 or 22K behind a new F250 which are their respective max ratings with proper configuration.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:36 PM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
A 64 F100 2wd styleside weighs approx 3600 lbs. This chart says 7000 lbs truck and trailer. That is 3400 for a trailer assuming no one is in the truck. Factor in driver and fuel and maybe another passenger and that brings the trailer weight closer to 3000 lbs. or less. Here is a quote from a 25 year member on here. "Boss, We all have a right to be stoopid if we choose to be".

Old 01-10-2023, 07:50 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Kesselrun
Thanks for the info FuzzFace, I hadn't considered a WD hitch but that definitely is a good idea. The 64 won't be my primary tow vehicle, I have an 03 Chevy 2500 for that. I'm building my 64 to use it, I don't see any sense in fixing up an old truck just to have it look pretty on Sunday drives.
One detail that hasn't been mentioned is the trailer profile. An enclosed trailer will catch some wind...natural and man made (i.e. by passing semi trucks). For that consider an anti sway bar on the WD hitch.

Other detail not mentioned is the OP needs to get actual weight of the whole shebang. That might help answer any questions.

My guess is after a trip or two towing with the F100, you'll find the 2500 more relaxing particularly in terms of more quiet, more comfortable seat, etc. Probably end up reserving the F100 as a backup. Our '65F250 pulled our camper for a few years until we got a 2002 3/4 ton. Never getting rid of the '65 but the family uses the newer truck for vacations...quieter, A/C, extended cab so we can all ride together, larger tank for longer range.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 64 F100?