1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2023 Central PA Mountain Truckstock: reserve sites starting Nov. 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 803 Likes on 395 Posts
hey I now have a working horn!! Nothing can stop me now.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:28 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,527 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
That's funny because I was just looking at my calendar and looking at all the things I need to do in the coming days and noticed that in 4 weeks I'm going to be in Pennsylvania!
Woo-hoo!

I am sprucing up my truck for the Vintage Truck photo shoot on Sept 18. Then I need to get stuff together like sleeping bag, clean clothes, soap, towel, firewood, FTE TS Banner, etc for Truckstock.

This week I repainted part of my front bumper. I say repainted because I painted it like 3 weeks ago. There was a scrape or scuff on the right side that I couldn't clean up. I just painted that side and it blended in well. I took the rear bumper off. It was an NOS bumper. My body guy painted around 2000. It has some scuffs and chips. Seeing if I can clean it up, use touch up paint or does it need repainted. Also trying to shine up the shiny parts of my mirror arms.

See the scuff.

Can you see the repaint line?

Advice needed here. Touch up the chips or repaint? A rattle can paint job won't look as nice.

How do I get that scuff mark off the bumper?

And one more thing , looks like I need to wash the spare tire!

Old 09-07-2023, 02:47 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 888 Likes on 433 Posts
Oh boy--washing your spare tire. That's setting a pretty high bar there, Abe. LOL. Being really "ready" for a Truckstock might be a little different from what I was thinking. I'm bound to have some splattered bugs on my windshield and grill--maybe some dust some dust on the spare too. I'll even have a little rust showing here and there.

Jim

Old 09-07-2023, 07:24 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,172 Likes on 839 Posts
I'll have some bugs along with scratches and nicks and rust bubbles. My F-2 is far from perfect but I'm making it's own history, it's going to be original a second time.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:35 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,548 Likes on 1,452 Posts
If you have some light rubbing compound and a soft rag you can try polishing it and see what comes out. That would also help shine up and blend in the repair on the front bumper. This, unfortunately, looks to be rubbed to bare metal, right below the tire, and will need to be painted if that's the case.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:46 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,172 Likes on 839 Posts
A can of Rust-Oleum black primer/paint will make it look new. Think of your truck like a super model, none of them look as good in real life without makeup and air brushing

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Bob Ingram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 680 Likes on 324 Posts
My truck earns every scrape, scratch, dirt, bugs, etc, it’s all staying. Just a quick wash, change the oil with quality free range Dino oil, check all the fluids, load up my tools, sleeping bag and pillow, a clean pair of shorts and a toothbrush.

Ive been driving her almost daily, especially since my Ram 1500 is in the body shop. The lady who backed into me in a parking lot didn’t see me, A crew cab pickup roughly the size of my first house stopped directly behind her, how can you not see that? The good news is her insurance is paying all but the $500, which they’re billing her for, so $0 to me.

Bessie has been performing perfectly.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
If you have some light rubbing compound and a soft rag you can try polishing it and see what comes out. That would also help shine up and blend in the repair on the front bumper. This, unfortunately, looks to be rubbed to bare metal, right below the tire, and will need to be painted if that's the case.

thanks, Wayne. I'll try that. It is not scraped through to bare metal. Its more like a scuff. I have an old tire hanging in the back of my garage that I back into. I think it's from that. There are some chips that I'll touch up. I have a can of Rusteoleum gloss black.

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
A can of Rust-Oleum black primer/paint will make it look new. Think of your truck like a super model, none of them look as good in real life without makeup and air brushig
Bob, that's what I used on my front bumper. The rear was painted with automotive paint from a paint gun by my body man. It looks deep and glossy. A rattle can spray won't be of that quality.

That's a good analogy about the model. I'm hoping the flaws Old Betsy has won't be noticed on some of the closeup shots that Vintage Truck usually has in their truck pictures.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Bob Ingram
My truck earns every scrape, scratch, dirt, bugs, etc, it’s all staying. Just a quick wash, change the oil with quality free range Dino oil, check all the fluids, load up my tools, sleeping bag and pillow, a clean pair of shorts and a toothbrush.

Ive been driving her almost daily, especially since my Ram 1500 is in the body shop. The lady who backed into me in a parking lot didn’t see me, A crew cab pickup roughly the size of my first house stopped directly behind her, how can you not see that? The good news is her insurance is paying all but the $500, which they’re billing her for, so $0 to me.

Bessie has been performing perfectly.
Bob, good thing she's paying for it all.

Again, I'm not sprucing my truck up for Truckstock. I have a photoshoot on September 18 with Vintage truck. I wouldn't be worrying about these flaws for driving dirt mountain roads. LOL

Old 09-07-2023, 02:36 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 562 Likes on 270 Posts
Rats, I started to go to my brothers house to get his mail and a block from my house it started again. Loss of power, change in the exhaust note and missing. I thought we had it fixed.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:06 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by pintoplumber
Rats, I started to go to my brothers house to get his mail and a block from my house it started again. Loss of power, change in the exhaust note and missing. I thought we had it fixed.
Shoot! I hope you get it figured out.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:14 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 160 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by pintoplumber
Is it possible that a wire on the new switch has come loose or a frayed wire ?

Old 09-08-2023, 03:32 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 892 Likes on 501 Posts
Run a hot wire directly to the coil from the battery. Drive it and see if it acts up. If it still acts up its ignition, coil, distributor

if it runs fine then you know the problem is in the truck wiring, new switch etc

Old 09-08-2023, 03:58 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 562 Likes on 270 Posts
One at a time, I’ve replaced plugs,points,condenser,rotor,distributor cap,coil,plug wires,ignition switch. I have a 1957 and up distributor with the 13 tooth gear on it. I’m going to check wiring connections and replace the distributor tomorrow. Harry Hutten has been after me to replace the distributor for a while now.

Old 09-09-2023, 12:21 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I'm hijacking my own thread but...

I took my rear bumper to the Marconi Brothers, the garage that usually works on my truck. They do some painting occasionally. I asked how much to repaint my bumper. The nephew said $225-250 depending on price of paint, hardener, and reducer, etc. He asked when so I need it. Next week
Nope. Can't do it.

Then Steve Marconi got out the buffer and it must have been light rubbing compound, then some wax to shine it up. Much better. He wanted money. So I bought him a case of frosty beverages.

Quick Reply: 2023 Central PA Mountain Truckstock: reserve sites starting Nov. 5