Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle wont come out of park

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 01:36 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle wont come out of park

So i have a 94 F150 with a straight 6 automatic trans my issue is quite the pickle as the truck doesnt shift out of park. It oddly enough shifts when my foot isnt on the brake truck can be on, off, battery disconnected still shifts when my foot isnt on the brake. With the battery connected the brake locks the shifter with it disconnected it doesnt. Brake lights dont work hazzards dont work and the ABS light is flashing. Replaced the stoplight switch, fuse is good might replace for the fun of it, has power at both the fuse and the switch. Im genuinly at a loss and can use some insight any ideas help

Old 10-06-2022, 02:17 PM
llama
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the brake lights do not function it will not shift with
the battery connected.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-06-2022, 02:35 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 621 Likes on 497 Posts
From your symptoms, it sounds like your brake light switch has failed.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:55 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by sandymane
From your symptoms, it sounds like your brake light switch has failed.
do you really think it failed right out the box? I just replaced it i think there is something else at fault here

Old 10-06-2022, 03:02 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
The failure symptoms are consistent with brake light switch. It is not rare for a new part now days to be bad out of the box. What brand part did you install? If you think it is good it might be a wiring issue in that area. Here is how to confirm the switch is at fault.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...ke-lights3.htm

Old 10-06-2022, 03:07 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
The failure symptoms are consistent with brake light switch. It is not rare for a new part now days to be bad out of the box. What brand part did you install? If you think it is good it might be a wiring issue in that area.
its a duralast part which from my experience dont usually go bad out the box but the weird part is when i start the truck the ABS light comes on and when i press the brake it turns off for 3 seconds then flashes 12 times so im of the opinion it works just there is an error somewhere if i unplug the 15A fuse its the same issue nothing changes

Old 10-06-2022, 03:12 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
12 flashes of the ABS light indicate your brake fluid level switch is grounded when you press the brake.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:26 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Duralast parts do not have a good reputation for parts on this forum. We all try to buy Motorcraft parts when we can. But again, any part is a real crap shoot these days.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:47 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
There was a recall on the brake level switch for your year and other years. To this date Ford will still fix this problem with a new switch. It has been a known fire hazard and several on the forum have lost their trucks to this problem. If yours has already been repaired you should have a tag on the master cylinder, if it hasn't been removed.

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/for...ion-is-a-fuse/

Old 10-06-2022, 04:16 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
There was a recall on the brake level switch for your year and other years. To this date Ford will still fix this problem with a new switch. It has been a known fire hazard and several on the forum have lost their trucks to this problem. If yours has already been repaired you should have a tag on the master cylinder, if it hasn't been removed.

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/for...ion-is-a-fuse/
Will any ford dealership take it in or is it something i need to take the master-cylinder off and ship it in? And on top of that is it free? Im a bit short on cash and i need this going asap the truck is driveable the pedal seems a bit weak but its driveable just have to get it out of park

Old 10-06-2022, 04:28 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Any Ford Dealership will replace it. It is no charge. I would think you would have take it In. As I recall I bought mine on Amazon and did I myself but it was a long time ago. Call the dealership with the recall number and see what they say. They may let you replace it yourself. So you don't have the tag on yours?

Old 10-06-2022, 04:38 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
The dealership should be able to tell you if that recall was done to your truck.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:25 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
Any Ford Dealership will replace it. It is no charge. I would think you would have take it In. As I recall I bought mine on Amazon and did I myself but it was a long time ago. Call the dealership with the recall number and see what they say. They may let you replace it yourself. So you don't have the tag on yours?
no tag and i entered my vin on the site and it says all recalls were done to the truck i might just give them a call and see if they can do anything

Old 10-06-2022, 05:48 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Here are RABS codes in case you get a different number of flashes.
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/280857

See if you get the 12 code again or something else. If not I would go back to testing the switch.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:06 PM
LeArab
5th Wheeling
Here are RABS codes in case you get a different number of flashes.
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/280857

See if you get the 12 code again or something else. If not I would go back to testing the switch.
Thanks for the link its very helpful however i see it says it shouldnt flash 16 times but now it does after i cleaned the contacts for the brake level sensor im no longer getting the 12 and the truck now shifts but only if i hit the hazzard switch and dont touch the brake this is very unusual if i may be honest the bulbs work its just not activating when you press the brake

Quick Reply: Vehicle wont come out of park