2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE FOG Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 07:05 PM
number9xd
More Turbo
Received 419 Likes on 232 Posts
Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE FOG Review

Link to the discussion thread on these here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-the-usa.html

Link to the kit I purchased – White Pro SAE Fog (no backlight) https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...uper-duty.html

Been thinking of getting a set of these lights for a while and decided to pull the trigger during the Memorial Day discount.

WOW is all I can say. They BLOW the stock fog lights out of the water. I can’t imagine how much brighter the Max version would be, but I am perfectly satisfied with the Pro’s.

I didn’t really plan on writing up a box-opening type review but once into the install decided to take some pics along the way as the included instructions seem to be for an F-150 vs the F-250/350. They mention removing the fender liner and other things that you don’t need to do on our trucks. It wasn’t hard to figure out, but what the heck, I had my phone handy so snapped some pics to hopefully help others out.
Note – this is just the way I did it, not the “official” way.

You’ll need to remove the fender gap filler / liner if you have them on your truck.

Next you’ll need to remove the bumper support bracket. (4) 15mm bolts.

Pop the 2 push pins out that hold the wiring to the fog light bracket.
Remove the (4) 10mm bolts and the bracket / fog light assembly pulls right out.

I found it much easier to take the bracket / fog light assembly to the workbench where I could sit and work on getting the light separated from the bracket. It’s not hard, I was just worried bout breaking the tabs that hold the light in. I didn’t take any pics of this step, but when you have it in your hands, it’s self explanatory. First completely remove the aiming adjustment screw and spring. Then pry the tabs up one at a time to remove the fog light.

Once the OEM light is removed, you can reinstall the fog light bracket to the truck.

(yeah, this pic is of the driver side, I forgot to take pic on passenger side)

Applied some dielectric grease to the pigtail and attached it to the light.

From the front of the bumper, feed the pigtail thru the bumper and fog light bracket, and press the SS3 light into the bumper until the tabs snap into place on the fog light bracket. Insert the wiring push pins into the bracket and connect the fog light pigtail the the OEM plug.
** Polarity of the plug does matter. Turn the fog lights on and make sure the light powers ON. If it don’t, unplug the pigtail and turn it 180* and plug it back in and check it again. Much easier to do now than at the end.

Reinstall the bumper support bracket and fender gap filler / liner (if you have them).
Go to the other side and do it all over again.

I’ve not aimed mine per the instructions – 25’ from a wall yet, I just set them level about 6' away from the garage door. Honestly unless cars start flashing me, I probably won’t move them. Haven’t got flashed yet and I LOVE the way the lights perform.

I took before / after pics in the same locations to show the difference of OEM fogs vs the SS3 Pros. These pics are ONLY the fog lights burning.

OEM Fogs

SS3 Pro's

OEM Fogs

SS3 Pro's

These lights could almost run in place of the low beams, they are that good. I used to always want my lights on High beam, but after driving with these SS3 Pro Fogs on with the Low beam, switching to High beam is meh. I am DEFINITELY looking forward to getting hold of Forsan to enable Bambi mode and be able to run these SS3 Pro’s in combination with the high beams.

The following 4 users liked this post by number9xd:
Old 06-06-2022, 10:29 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 388 Likes on 259 Posts
these lights are legit. nice writeup. I want to run 2 pairs in my 17 bumper with the back light option

Old 06-07-2022, 09:03 AM
Diode Dynamics
SPONSOR
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Awesome review!

We're happy to hear you're loving our SS3 Pro LED fog light kit!

Old 06-07-2022, 11:43 AM
jdnariz
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Awesome review!

We're happy to hear you're loving our SS3 Pro LED fog light kit!

What about those of use that have factory LED fog lights?

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 02:59 PM
number9xd
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jdnariz
See Post #93 in this thread by member Squirrel13. He can probably tell you the parts he had to buy.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-usa-7.html

Old 06-07-2022, 03:00 PM
iConnect
Mountain Pass
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
I did the same install during the weekend. The only difference is that I did not take down the fog light assembly and instead I worked the existing lights out from below. Not easy, and if I had to do it again I’ll do your way.

I agree with your considerations, these lights are SO much better than the originals that it’s almost embarrassing… They do exactly what I was looking for, give me a better view of the near area, I will enable Bambi mode and should be done. Very happy from that point.

On the other side, I can’t accept that Diode Dinamics sent it with instructions for an F-150, and when I sent them a message on Facebook they answered “it’s the same thing”, which it actually isn’t. What’s even more annoying is that I purchased the “backlight” version, and there are no instructions whatsoever about how to make it work. The back of the lights has four pins, and in the box I found an harness with the four pins on one side, which on the other side has the two pins for the OEM connection and a four feet wire. No idea and no explanation whether that wire is supposed to be connected to something and in which case to where. I ended up zip-tying it on one side, and while the lights work I don’t have the amber background I paid extra for. I sent an email to Diode Dinamics this Sunday, yesterday they answered with some detail (I missed the email this morning, my bad…) and I will now try to make it work.

Product is good.

Last edited by iConnect; 06-07-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by number9xd
Link to the discussion thread on these here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-the-usa.html

Link to the kit I purchased – White Pro SAE Fog (no backlight) https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-le...uper-duty.html

Been thinking of getting a set of these lights for a while and decided to pull the trigger during the Memorial Day discount.

WOW is all I can say. They BLOW the stock fog lights out of the water. I can’t imagine how much brighter the Max version would be, but I am perfectly satisfied with the Pro’s.

I didn’t really plan on writing up a box-opening type review but once into the install decided to take some pics along the way as the included instructions seem to be for an F-150 vs the F-250/350. They mention removing the fender liner and other things that you don’t need to do on our trucks. It wasn’t hard to figure out, but what the heck, I had my phone handy so snapped some pics to hopefully help others out.
Note – this is just the way I did it, not the “official” way.

You’ll need to remove the fender gap filler / liner if you have them on your truck.

Next you’ll need to remove the bumper support bracket. (4) 15mm bolts.

Pop the 2 push pins out that hold the wiring to the fog light bracket.
Remove the (4) 10mm bolts and the bracket / fog light assembly pulls right out.

I found it much easier to take the bracket / fog light assembly to the workbench where I could sit and work on getting the light separated from the bracket. It’s not hard, I was just worried bout breaking the tabs that hold the light in. I didn’t take any pics of this step, but when you have it in your hands, it’s self explanatory. First completely remove the aiming adjustment screw and spring. Then pry the tabs up one at a time to remove the fog light.

Once the OEM light is removed, you can reinstall the fog light bracket to the truck.

(yeah, this pic is of the driver side, I forgot to take pic on passenger side)

Applied some dielectric grease to the pigtail and attached it to the light.

From the front of the bumper, feed the pigtail thru the bumper and fog light bracket, and press the SS3 light into the bumper until the tabs snap into place on the fog light bracket. Insert the wiring push pins into the bracket and connect the fog light pigtail the the OEM plug.
** Polarity of the plug does matter. Turn the fog lights on and make sure the light powers ON. If it don’t, unplug the pigtail and turn it 180* and plug it back in and check it again. Much easier to do now than at the end.

Reinstall the bumper support bracket and fender gap filler / liner (if you have them).
Go to the other side and do it all over again.

I’ve not aimed mine per the instructions – 25’ from a wall yet, I just set them level about 6' away from the garage door. Honestly unless cars start flashing me, I probably won’t move them. Haven’t got flashed yet and I LOVE the way the lights perform.

I took before / after pics in the same locations to show the difference of OEM fogs vs the SS3 Pros. These pics are ONLY the fog lights burning.

OEM Fogs

SS3 Pro's

OEM Fogs

SS3 Pro's

These lights could almost run in place of the low beams, they are that good. I used to always want my lights on High beam, but after driving with these SS3 Pro Fogs on with the Low beam, switching to High beam is meh. I am DEFINITELY looking forward to getting hold of Forsan to enable Bambi mode and be able to run these SS3 Pro’s in combination with the high beams.
Glad you like them. They look nice. I got some baja designs lights after watching diode dynamics videos on you tube. I feel they are, well you tell me...

Old 06-08-2022, 07:33 AM
number9xd
More Turbo
Don't know, have any more details?

Is that picture ONLY the BD lights or are your headlights on too?
What BD lights are they?
What beam pattern are they? (fog, driving, spot, etc)
Where are they mounted?

Old 06-09-2022, 06:03 AM
number9xd
More Turbo
Originally Posted by number9xd
Don't know, have any more details?

Is that picture ONLY the BD lights or are your headlights on too?
What BD lights are they?
What beam pattern are they? (fog, driving, spot, etc)
Where are they mounted?
@Smoking Joe Can you provide some info to my questions above about your Baja Design lights? Very interested to learn more.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
To the front I have a dual switch 40" onyx6. The center banks of light are the combo lenses with amber rock guard filters. The outer banks are spot lenses in clear. Corners (ditch lights) are s2 pro with spot lenses and amber rock guard filters. Sides are s2 sport clear, one is wide beam, the other is work scene. I don't buy into the amber helping in fog or snow. I tested it. But the amber are easier on my eyes when I first wake up. The dual switch can opperate the center banks or outer banks together or independently. I have 2 onyx6 on the rear.

Diode dynamics chases the sae market. I do jot care about that. When I turn them on I want to bring the sun.

They are on my roof rack on the cap. Which creates a distinct cutoff where the high beams turn on. The headlights were on. If you look below the main beam pattern you will see a dim light. Those are the factory LEDs.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:16 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned

One onyx6 in the snow. This was when I decided to get the 40" bar.

The full bar in white 100 yards away through the woods in heavy fog.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-10-2022, 08:20 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Double post

Old 06-11-2022, 02:33 PM
number9xd
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Smoking Joe
To the front I have a dual switch 40" onyx6. The center banks of light are the combo lenses with amber rock guard filters. The outer banks are spot lenses in clear. Corners (ditch lights) are s2 pro with spot lenses and amber rock guard filters. Sides are s2 sport clear, one is wide beam, the other is work scene. I don't buy into the amber helping in fog or snow. I tested it. But the amber are easier on my eyes when I first wake up. The dual switch can opperate the center banks or outer banks together or independently. I have 2 onyx6 on the rear.

Diode dynamics chases the sae market. I do jot care about that. When I turn them on I want to bring the sun.

They are on my roof rack on the cap. Which creates a distinct cutoff where the high beams turn on. The headlights were on. If you look below the main beam pattern you will see a dim light. Those are the factory LEDs.
You got any pics? Like showing the truck with those lights on it? Not night pics, but just of the lights on the truck?

Old 06-11-2022, 07:40 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
I can't make up my mind if I want to try these or not. They look good tho.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:06 AM
knaffie
Mountain Pass
Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jdnariz
Anything aftermarket would be an improvement. You could hold a small LED flashlight out the window and get way more light output than the factory LED fog lights. Ford should be embarrassed of those.

These are a great option if you really want to step up the light output.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...50-super-duty/

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE FOG Review