Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e4od on 460 freshly rebuilt no forward gears when installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 01:59 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
e4od on 460 freshly rebuilt no forward gears when installed

hey pretty new here. been reading about my problem cant find anything that has worked. this is on one of my 91 f250's with the 460 7.5L. the e4od trans was freshly rebuilt i installed. have done a couple and turned out good on some 7.3 powerstrokes. the trans was going out when i bought from a good buddy of mine had no overdrive. i continued to drive lost 3rd then after 3rd it started slipping alot then quit altogether. fluid was black and smelled burnt and awful. had it rebuilt now i have reverse which is hesitant you have to press gas pedal to make it stay engaged. i put new torque converter in it well remanufactured. i have put new mlps switch and updated plug on it. i tested 12+ at solenoid pack hot. ive read a fella named marks post about the feeds bolts under valve body plate being loose causing no pressure build up.. my trans man says he knows for sure he tightened those.. should i still check that? or does anyone have some input on where to look next? all hekp would be super appreciated ive been doing alot to this truck its been down for a while and othet than the trans its a super nice truck. and was very strong when i got it. thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-15-2022, 03:37 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Received 444 Likes on 391 Posts
did you clean the radiator cooler

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by AuroraGirl
did you clean the radiator cooler
yes i did.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:40 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,095 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel S Brock
i have reverse which is hesitant you have to press gas pedal to make it stay engaged.
You only have reverse with increased rpms and no forward gears in any of the drive positions? To rule out the obvious…you checked the fluid level?

Old 05-15-2022, 06:44 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
You only have reverse with increased rpms and no forward gears in any of the drive positions? To rule out the obvious…you checked the fluid level?
edit: correct on the no forward gears and increased rpms in reverse. also want to say i didnt have reverse before i pulled it. it does pull hard and strong in reverse when i get it to engage. yes sir right at top of hatch mark. my trans man wants me to pull it again hes baffled. first he wanted me to pull valve bodies and take them and let him go over them after i got it in. so i did he didnt find anything wrong of course.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:16 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
How about a press gauge and see what you have?

The following 2 users liked this post by Briansshop:
Old 05-15-2022, 07:38 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

hows the linkage

Old 05-15-2022, 07:48 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Briansshop
How about a press gauge and see what you have?
fill me in on how to do that i havent done that. does it just hook in where coolerlines are?

Old 05-15-2022, 07:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
No. There is a pressure test port on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front of the trans, just above the pan rail. It has a black hex head plug in it from the factory.

The thread is a 1/8" NPT. Get a gauge that reads up to 350 PSI.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:21 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
No. There is a pressure test port on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front of the trans, just above the pan rail. It has a black hex head plug in it from the factory.

The thread is a 1/8" NPT. Get a gauge that reads up to 350 PSI.
will do. i will update when i get this done. ive talked to a couple people in person that is suppose to know alot about transmissions and no one has said anything about testing pressure not even the fella that built it.. i personally had no idea.. seems pretty simple. mark every time i see your post you sound like a manual. thats pretty awesome. i read a post of yours from i believe 2011 the other day about feed bolts being loose and not having pressure.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:34 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
should i use this same thread to ask about my other e4od on my 2wd 460? it was rebuilt by the same guy as this truck we are talking about lasted maybe 6 months trans started slipping thought i could have been low on fluid.. it wasnt. drained the fluid slam full of big metal shavings didnt get new torque converter because he said looks like its been put in not too long before you got it said he would flush it and should be good. what its doing now- crank the truck pulls in every gear but slips will shift into every gear slips in all keep in mind. trucks pulls for maybe 10 minutes also whining but whining gets worse when u put it in drive or reverse. when it gets warmed up trans quits pulling altogether no whining in drive or 1 and 2nd only in park and neutral whining when it quits pulling. the drive and reverse no longer whine when the transmission quits pulling. i have drained the fluid 5 times and pretty big metal shavings every time. but less each time of course. any advice on this? new trans man? lol

Old 05-16-2022, 07:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Something is very wrong inside this trans. It isn't going to last much longer.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:50 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Something is very wrong inside this trans. It isn't going to last much longer.
yea. i think im going go be on the lookout for a new fella to build my trans for me.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:56 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Daniel S Brock
yea. i think im going go be on the lookout for a new fella to build my trans for me.
if you have original trans cooler lines, whne you install the new trans either replace your radiator or just clean the cooling loop. realize those shavings probably wore the cooler down a bit... but anyway, then upgrade to the 4r100 cooler lines because your e4od while it may not have died from that , it would help to have better flow which is a ford TSB fix for the diesel trucks (Presumably a 460 also)

Old 05-22-2022, 09:06 PM
Daniel S Brock
5th Wheeling
trans is fixed i took valve bodies down removed plate wrong amount of check ***** and in wrong spots and one feed bolt loose. it pulls good now

Quick Reply: e4od on 460 freshly rebuilt no forward gears when installed