Question about GCVW Rating and enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM
B-737
More Turbo
Received 209 Likes on 119 Posts
Question Question about GCVW Rating and enforcement

So I'm in a discussion on another forum about GCVW rating...
Non-commerical towing, and under 26,000lbs combine...

My understanding is the GVW + Trailer rating cannot exceed GCVW rating...
If you exceed this value, you are in violation and could be cited.

The other position being argued is "show me where it says this". They are saying if you are under 26,000 pounds, and private, GCVW Rating is irrelevant.

I am not buying that!

Old 05-11-2022, 12:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Registration and axle ratings, plus your drivers license.

Some states even private may put you in non cdl class A drivers license.

What your state allows is good with every other state

Old 05-12-2022, 05:00 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,776 Likes on 1,344 Posts
Since you are not commercial, anything you would need to adhere to would be for New Jersey only (where your location says you are from). Don't listen to someone from Texas, or Montana, or me from Virginia. You need to find the rules and regulations for your state for your class of drivers license.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:04 AM
B-737
More Turbo
its difficult to find for the state of NJ. But after speaking with a CDL driver, I think I'm learning that Gross Combine Vehicle Weight from the manufacture is "just a suggestion" and isn't really enforced by DOT, or citable, since it's not even on door jamb. Kind of like what Senix said, it comes down to the weight on the axles and GVR of truck and trailer. (additionally being above / below 26k and for hire or not)

Old 05-12-2022, 08:00 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,087 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by B-737
So I'm in a discussion on another forum about GCVW rating...
Non-commerical towing, and under 26,000lbs combine...

My understanding is the GVW + Trailer rating cannot exceed GCVW rating...
If you exceed this value, you are in violation and could be cited.

The other position being argued is "show me where it says this". They are saying if you are under 26,000 pounds, and private, GCVW Rating is irrelevant.

I am not buying that!
Simply stated, what is printed on the legal build sticker of your truck and trailer is the weight you are legally bound by. Add the GVWR of your truck and trailer and that will be the GCVWR that is legally enforced for your combination.

I have personally never seen or heard of the "Manufacturers GCVWR" being legally enforced during a weight check. On that note I would still adhere to the "Manufacturers GCVWR" just out of safety.

I tow daily in the Northeast and travel through most states quite regularly including Jersey. The DOT up here does their job by the book for the most part and I have seen them inspecting unsafe loads on private use operators quite regularly. During June-Sept I pass by at least one half ton truck per week with a fifth wheel or machine in tow that the State police have pulled over for an inspection. Private use operators are not exempt from following weight and safety laws, they just get more chances because commercial is the main focus.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:21 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
Simply stated, what is printed on the legal build sticker of your truck and trailer is the weight you are legally bound by. Add the GVWR of your truck and trailer and that will be the GCVWR that is legally enforced for your combination.

I have personally never seen or heard of the "Manufacturers GCVWR" being legally enforced during a weight check. On that note I would still adhere to the "Manufacturers GCVWR" just out of safety.

I tow daily in the Northeast and travel through most states quite regularly including Jersey. The DOT up here does their job by the book for the most part and I have seen them inspecting unsafe loads on private use operators quite regularly. During June-Sept I pass by at least one half ton truck per week with a fifth wheel or machine in tow that the State police have pulled over for an inspection. Private use operators are not exempt from following weight and safety laws, they just get more chances because commercial is the main focus.
X2 right here
Also if you are in a accident your fault or not if you are over any of the ratings of truck / trailer / axles and tires someone will come after you for $$$$$$$
If you are under all the ratings for truck / trailer / axles and tires it would be 1 less thing they can come after you on.
Are brake shoes / pads safe thickness good and in adjustment?
How long have you been driving this combo, driving this day, how much rest you had before you started driving that day. etc.
You may not be under CDL rules but they can look into all that and push for you not following safe practice.

Why give them something for them to hang you with?
Dave ----

ps yes talking as a CDL hazmat holder and wish DOT would pull over more privet / non CDL trucks & trailers.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:31 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Angry

As far as Gross COMBINATION weight rating (How much trailer you can pull)……AFAIK there are no hard legal numbers on that. The enforcement will be on axle, tire, hitch ratings, etc., which are hard numbers and are printed on the rating stickers of the equipment.
These combination rating came about because the manufacturers agreed to a standardized tow test rating…….SAE J2807……so that the customer actually has something to go by when looking at the ratings of a given truck.

Who remembers the old chevy commercial on TV?

Who remembers the old Ford commercial?
Which both are clearly bullsheet.

. One also needs to look at licensing in their home state…….does the truck need to be licensed for the gross combination weight? Commercial tags are pretty standard in that respect. You need to be licensed for the total combination weight.
IDK aboout individual states when it comes to private / RV though when licensing. Do all states do the same way?

Old 05-13-2022, 07:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Doing the math:

My truck has a 14K GVW. Axles are 6K front and 9900 lbs for the rear.

Trailer has a 20K registration.

Truck comes in at 9200lbs fully loaded with passengers/tools/fuel. Front is 5700 lbs, rear is 3500 lbs = 9200 lbs.
So that means I have for the rear axle, which is the most important one, an available capacity of 6400 lbs that i can place on it.

So if my trailer is 20K gooseneck or 5th wheel then using a 20% formula that means I am adding 4K of trailer over the rear axle. So now the truck comes in at 7500 lbs.

So completely legal weight wise, registration wise. Only issue is drivers license wise due to a combined weight of 34,000 lbs.

Hope that helps some.

Disclaimer: some numbers rounded for ease of understanding.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:03 AM
B-737
More Turbo
This discussion is really helpful, esp for someone under 26k and noncommercial.
So I was totally wrong that GCVW rating published by ford was 'enforceable' as it's just a suggestion really. I can see from above that what's 'enforceable' is just what's on the door sticker...

As a result of my misunderstanding of gross combine vehicle weight (as published by ford) I foolishly, in error, derated a 15,000 pound trailer i ordered to 13,500..
My truck GVW 10,000 + 15,000 put me 'over' the 23,500 ford GCVW in the towing publication, so I had the trailer manufacture derate it to 13,500 to meet the 23,500 argh, now I see that was totally unnecessary.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,826 Posts
The thing is when you start talking what you are pulling, trailer type & load and with what type of truck, noncommercial or commercial I dont think DOT will care as you look more like commercial and will most likely be pulled in or over for a check up if all is on the up & up.
Dave ----