Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

400 HP Engine Build - Input Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 03:09 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
Received 385 Likes on 263 Posts
Yeah after market rods aren't available right now and would tack on an extra 2k to the budget. Beehives would also add an unacceptable amount to the budget given my modest power goals. Really trying to keep this reasonable.

There used to be a cryo outfit in town but seems to be out of business. Machine shop can shot-peen the rods for an additional 90 dollars. I think stock forged rods can handle the power I'm after, it's more a concern over the possibility of fatigue related failure given their mileage.

Added oil cooler and pickup tube to the list as, per this post from @cleatus12r , those parts cant be reliably cleaned after metal in oil https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post20267811

Originally Posted by Jamon Norton
From what I understood from swamps if you are building big boost if you add studs to virgin sealed heads( factory) then you are good to 60 lbs of boost but with fresh build I believe you might be on the threshold.
Is this a surface issue? I would assume if the heads and block were surfaced to be in specification for smoothness the gasket should hold up similar to factory?

Old 03-10-2022, 03:59 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts
‘Seasoned’ head gaskets are STUCK to the heads and seal better than virgin HG’s.

The rule of thumb has historically been +40psi of boost means headstuds are recommended.

You are not likely to see that. Especially with conservative tuning and driving.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2022, 06:23 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
By the way, anyone have experience with Irate Diesel's headstuds?

Our Head Stud material properties allow for far greater tensile strength compared to 8740 chromoly steel head studs. Threads are rolled after heat treatment for optimum fatigue strength. Our heavy-duty studs clamping strength prevents cylinder heads from lifting under extreme conditions. HD Head Studs have been rigorously lab-tested in the USA and are guaranteed strong!
Made overseas and tested here it seems. They're charging 299 for em which is similar to the "Tracktech" brand I've seen around. ARP studs are going for stupid money these days if you can find them, so I'd rather not go that route if I can.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:45 PM
idshred
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PriusLover
By the way, anyone have experience with Irate Diesel's headstuds?

Made overseas and tested here it seems. They're charging 299 for em which is similar to the "Tracktech" brand I've seen around. ARP studs are going for stupid money these days if you can find them, so I'd rather not go that route if I can.
it seems to me there are several places selling the same Headstuds for varying prices​​​​​. I looked around a lot this winter for Headstuds. I bought a set from swag performance off their website for $209. I just looked and they are still the same price. The description is identical to the one you just quoted from irate. I have seen the identical packaging on 4 or 5 websites all at different price points. My .02c is that we are probably getting taken to the cleaners by some vendors for the same head studs. I put mine in last week.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:46 AM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
Hah yeah the description is the same except the branding is different. Xotic is also using similar verbiage in their descriptions:

XOTIC 7200 material properties allow for far greater tensile strength compared to 8740 Chromoly steel head studs. Threads are rolled after heat treatment for optimum fatigue strength.
I'm guessing a lot of these places are sourcing them here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...054856160.html and slapping their name on the package.

You feel confident in the ones you got?

Old 03-11-2022, 05:43 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,005 Posts
You shouldnt need head studs with your goals. If you do want them only one name has a proven record of quality,ARP. A bit costly, and hard to find. Cncfab and Riffraff have a few in stock right now https://cncfab.us/i-30497569-arp-hea...-250-4201.html

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/arp-7-3l-headstud-kit/
I would also say if you are doing springs go with beehive springs and not cheap comp 910, you could source the parts + spacers in pic below and try and save money

Old 03-11-2022, 06:05 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 610 Likes on 397 Posts
Hah yeah the description is the same except the branding is different. Xotic is also using similar verbiage in their descriptions:

I'm guessing a lot of these places are sourcing them here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...054856160.html and slapping their name on the package.

You feel confident in the ones you got?
Alibaba? For reals? Stay far away from anything sold on that place.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:35 AM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
Received 693 Likes on 482 Posts
I just checked our warehouse and we have three sets of ARP.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:41 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 838 Likes on 477 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Alibaba? For reals? Stay as far away from anything sold on that place.
You can find some of the strangest **** for sale on alibaba.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:22 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ESwift
You shouldn't need head studs with your goals... I would also say if you are doing springs go with beehive springs and not cheap comp 910, you could source the parts + spacers in pic below and try and save money
I guess I can always put in studs later if the need arises. You don't think there'll be lift with hot tuning and the stated turbo/injector combo? What's your reasoning behind the beehive springs over the 910s?

Originally Posted by Bitterroot Diesel
I just checked our warehouse and we have three sets of ARP.
Is there a "desperate FTEr who needs injectors+studs package deal" discount? X D

Originally Posted by brokestroke
You can find some of the strangest **** for sale on alibaba.
Funny enough I've gotten a decent amount of espresso gear from there. Definitely less mission critical than an engine.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
Received 693 Likes on 482 Posts
No taxes or shipping charges

The following 3 users liked this post by Bitterroot Diesel:
Old 03-11-2022, 04:22 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,005 Posts
You shouldnt need head studs for 160/30 injectors. It is easiest done with engine out, but unless you feel you will go bigger then really no need.

Ask AA his opinion on comp 910 or even the melling lpop, he will use a term of “junk” use behives and an oem lpop

I wont go that far and say they are junk. I have zero issues with either on my zf6 truck. It ran 180/30 and a 364.5 then a 363 towing heavy in hot tunes otherwise a stock engine with 300k now.
I do feel the 910s opperate too close to bind with where they are normally shimmed. The beehive are a better design and offer some peace of mind, at least imo

Old 03-11-2022, 05:27 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
I don't forsee going bigger with injectors, but I do see VGT or ebooster in say 5+ years, depending on how charted that territory becomes. But that's a ways enough off that it's probably best to be frugal and use stock headbolts for now.

I have a lot of respect for AAs opinion, so if he thinks it's worth the extra money I'll take his word. Really curious why he isn't keen on the Melling...

Do the beehives require shims?

Old 03-11-2022, 05:33 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,002 Posts
I do see VGT
I shall do my best to get it sorted by the time you are ready to get one.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-11-2022, 05:57 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas

Quick Reply: 400 HP Engine Build - Input Needed