2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford may offer only 1 cab style in the future

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 01:50 PM
Grass Lake Ron
Cargo Master
Received 1,005 Likes on 603 Posts
Ford may offer only 1 cab style in the future

Ford may offer only 1 cab configuration in the future:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-hints-at-simplification-of-its-f-series-range-one-cab-configuration-to-rule-them-all-183422.html

Old 03-08-2022, 02:23 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,382 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally Posted by Grass Lake Ron
Ford may offer only 1 cab configuration in the future:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/f...ll-183422.html
Unfortunately it makes sense not just from streamlining the production planning and cost aspects, CAFE penalizes short wheelbase trucks so it’s easier eliminating single and super cabs, and shift the burden of longer wheel base for customer to handle.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:33 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,053 Likes on 1,550 Posts
Interesting but.... The writer early on says, "Ford hinted at dropping cab configurations and options complexity from the F-Series trucks....", then towards the end goes on to say, "Of course, this does not mean per se that Ford will cut on cab and body options for their hugely popular F-Series lineup...".

Old 03-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Falcon67
Mountain Pass
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
If asked, I'd tell Ford that it doesn't matter to me that 90% of the trucks sold here get 4x4, I don't want anything to do with it. Have zero use for that option and the added height and complexity to the driveline. So hope they don;t get too carried away with that idea. 4 door vs extend cab - I can see that. The 93 F-350 extend cab is a pain in the azz to put stuff in the back seat. But there are a gazillion uses for two door utility trucks, so I'd not be too keen on cutting that out of the line either.

The following 2 users liked this post by Falcon67:
Old 03-08-2022, 02:40 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
Interesting but.... The writer early on says, "Ford hinted at dropping cab configurations and options complexity from the F-Series trucks....", then towards the end goes on to say, "Of course, this does not mean per se that Ford will cut on cab and body options for their hugely popular F-Series lineup...".
the CAFE clock is ticking for non full electric or plug in f150s, ford may decide to cut their losses early and retreat from the low margin ICE single cab long bed fleet business, Ram already did away with single cabs on their 5th gen 1500.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:45 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon67
If asked, I'd tell Ford that it doesn't matter to me that 90% of the trucks sold here get 4x4, I don't want anything to do with it. Have zero use for that option and the added height and complexity to the driveline. ...
I don't know what the strategy is, but it used to be the highest trim package you could get with 4x2 was King Ranch. I am of the same opinion as you. No use whatsoever for 4x4. Now, the highest package you can get 2WD is Lariat. It's not that the option is outrageously priced, but it really is a pro-con option for many. I wanted none of the cons. If I was to replace my truck, it would be a lower trim level just to avoid the 4x4.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:59 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by C12H24
I don't know what the strategy is.
the strategy is always profit. You know what’s bad for profit? People buying one 2wd truck every 15 years since the driveline is much cheaper to maintain and keep the truck going with cheaper repair. What’s better? People with 4wd who either spend money on repairing the transfer case, front drive shafts, front differentials, etc or decide to upgrade at a shorter interval. So you want that feature only KR/Platinum/Limited has? You gotta buy it with 4wd. Over time 2wd will be offered only on XL for fleets.

the ICE business is going to have to carry its weight and pay for near term EV expansion so they gotta squeeze as much as they can out of us before ICE trucks are gone for good.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:03 PM
Bowtienomore
Senior User
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Goldilocks

Originally Posted by twobelugas
Unfortunately it makes sense not just from streamlining the production planning and cost aspects, CAFE penalizes short wheelbase trucks so it’s easier eliminating single and super cabs, and shift the burden of longer wheel base for customer to handle.
CAFE penalizes shorter "Light-duty" pickups. HD's should be unaffected by the standards. Ford is the only place to actually get an HD extended cab. Ram dropped them and GM won't fill customer orders for them. That's how I ended up with an SD. It would be a shame to have the light-duty (you really should have bought an SUV or minivan) folks dictate cab/bed configurations. What's next, 5.5ft beds on Super Duties? I personally advocate changing the CAFE or relevant standards to evaluate bed length. Higher CAFE standards for beds shorter than 8 feet would encourage customers to get the SUV/Minivan's they actually need. Then we could enjoy a choice of cab configurations that suits our needs/preferences in the HD market. I couldn't make do with a single cab and don't have any need for a crew. My current SC is just right.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-08-2022, 03:04 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bowtienomore
CAFE penalizes shorter "Light-duty" pickups. HD's should be unaffected by the standards. Ford is the only place to actually get an HD extended cab. Ram dropped them and GM won't fill customer orders for them. That's how I ended up with an SD. It would be a shame to have the light-duty (you really should have bought an SUV or minivan) folks dictate cab/bed configurations. What's next, 5.5ft beds on Super Duties? I personally advocate changing the CAFE or relevant standards to evaluate bed length. Higher CAFE standards for beds shorter than 8 feet would encourage customers to get the SUV/Minivan's they actually need. Then we could enjoy a choice of cab configurations that suits our needs/preferences in the HD market. I couldn't make do with a single cab and don't have any need for a crew. My current SC is just right.
now that SD and F150 share cabs, what do you think happens to SDs cab choice if F150 drops one?

Old 03-08-2022, 03:07 PM
Bowtienomore
Senior User
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by twobelugas
now that SD and F150 share cabs, what do you think happens to SDs cab choice if F150 drops one?
Exactly what you think... and that will suck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bowtienomore:
Old 03-08-2022, 03:09 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bowtienomore
Exactly what you think... and that will suck.
Yep

those who want an honest single cab truck better get them soon.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:21 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 936 Likes on 737 Posts
A cab between the size of a super cab and crew cab would work for most everyone.

Regular cab works for fleets.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:50 PM
PetrolPiglet
Cross-Country
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
The regular cab is quite a bit larger and has storage space behind the seats than trucks from the 90s and 2000s that required you to sit straight up and might have enough space behind the seats to store the jack

Old 03-08-2022, 04:10 PM
Grass Lake Ron
Cargo Master
Received 1,005 Likes on 603 Posts
All in all it makes me even happier for mine parked outside. I just can stand 4 door, short bed trucks. I couldn't imagine pulling a goose neck or 5th wheel with a shorter bed. I just can't believe that shoehorning people into fewer choices is better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grass Lake Ron:
Old 03-08-2022, 04:21 PM
DJFriar
New User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Am I the only who finds the logic the Ford rep used completely illogical? "We were surprised that we got so many orders for this configuration" when it was the only one offered. Also, it was a pre-order with no commitment. It would be totally different if they came out and said "in 2021, 97% of all SD orders where the CCSB 4x4, so we are focusing on that model"; then yeah, I'd be annoyed but it would at least make more sense. But totally different market (EV vs ICE), using only pre-order counts; seems totally the wrong number set to use.

That said, I do fully support the concept of make it all retail build to order and lower the dealer inventory. The same effect is happening there, I know many people who bought what was on the lot and not what they actually wanted. If Ford does move to a mostly all custom order method, I bet the configurations chosen would spread out considerably.

Quick Reply: Ford may offer only 1 cab style in the future