2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2022 super duty cup holder light install

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 08:21 AM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Received 626 Likes on 373 Posts
2022 SD and 22 F150 cup holder light installation

Ok guys instead of polluting the "what did you do to your 22 today thread" I figured id start a new thread showing the install due to the amount of questions/demand this has generated. So with that said here goes.

requirements: you must have AMBIENT LIGHTING from the factory(you can add ambient lighting but theres more to it than im going to cover in this thread).

you need these parts
HC3Z-14A318-C cup holder light ring qty 1
HC3Z-14A318-E wire assembly with LEDs

youll need to build a harness. I dont want to get in trouble by posting stuff but if you have been following the 22 thread youll notice I have made a solution. ill post more about that later.

step 1. open your console and grab the 2 corners of the silver piece. lift up it will pop loose.

now work your way to the front next to the dash, youre going to lift up and pull back at the same time this will release the front of the console.

if you have a push button start truck unhook this connector it goes to your key progammer/reader

now flip the console over and remove the 5 screws holding the cup holders together

remove the rubber band that applies tension to the cup holders be careful with this i dont think you can buy it separately.

youll need to bend these little arms(circled in red) down to make the cup holder have tension

on my cup holders i had to trim a little bit of plastic around the center screw to allow the light ring to fit properly. thats it for the light ring install now put it back together.

youre going to hook up your harness in the passenger footwell to the factory ambient light there.

hook up your lights to the light ring in the console, plug in your harness to them and youre good to go. reassemble the console. to test these youll have to have to turn your headlights on and have the truck on. if its not dark enough out you can try covering the ambient light sensor on the dash.

Ok if this violates forum rules please feel free to delete it mods. I started making harnesses to allow this mod to be plug and play. Due to parts constraints I am only able to make 9 so far. I am trying to source the connectors from elsewhere but they are scarce. these 6 pictured are already spoken for. But i am/will be making more.

Moderator Note:

Any discussion of, sharing contact info for, expressing interest in, or asking transactional questions about items members have for sale... is discouraged in the Tech Forums, but is encouraged in the Marketplace forum.

Please refer to this member's concurrent thread on FTE's Marketplace on this topic, the link for which can be found in the member's signature. This thread is for technical discussion about the proposed modification only.

The following 12 users liked this post by JHForman812:
Old 10-29-2021, 08:53 AM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 143 Posts
JHForman812 - beautiful work. Tesa tape for the win. I plan to try and make a PnP harness to sit between the 4x4 solenoid for the 2LO mod. Here are some harness I made for various things.

The following 5 users liked this post by Squirrel13:
Old 10-29-2021, 01:57 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
deleted...

Old 10-29-2021, 01:58 PM
ShadowDuty
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried to add these lights to the rearward cup holder of the center counsel. My truck has the ambient lights and these cup holder lights already but I thought it would look good to add them to the rear cup holder as well. Now that they have provided the ring light part numbers and harness number I may have to look more into doing this.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:05 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ShadowDuty
Just wondering if anyone has tried to add these lights to the rearward cup holder of the center counsel. My truck has the ambient lights and these cup holder lights already but I thought it would look good to add them to the rear cup holder as well. Now that they have provided the ring light part numbers and harness number I may have to look more into doing this.

I havent gotten that far yet. I have too many projects as it is. but i do know its been done.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:48 PM
KeystoneF350
Tuned
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts
Are the cupholder lights removed from all of the 2022 Super Dutys, or just certain trim levels? My 2020 Platinum has the cup holder lights and I pick up my 2022 Platinum in about 10 days so was just curious.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:49 PM
dpeters244
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight up removed in the 22 model year.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:54 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KeystoneF350
Are the cupholder lights removed from all of the 2022 Super Dutys, or just certain trim levels? My 2020 Platinum has the cup holder lights and I pick up my 2022 Platinum in about 10 days so was just curious.
Originally Posted by dpeters244
Straight up removed in the 22 model year.

apparently so. I dont know about the limited though.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:09 PM
dburby08
5th Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JHForman812
im throwing this out here as a feeler. If i cant locate more of the connectors that plug into our factory harness how many people are willing to trim the little ridges off the factory ambient light(not the truck harness) just the light side heres a picture. if these are trimmed i can get connectors that fit. I already have one sent to a member here.
I would be ok with trimming the ridges if you can't source the correct connectors.
My 22 F-450 Platinum is being delivered in couple weeks.
Please add me to your list for a harness.
Thanks
Daryl

Old 10-29-2021, 05:51 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JHForman812
im throwing this out here as a feeler. If i cant locate more of the connectors that plug into our factory harness how many people are willing to trim the little ridges off the factory ambient light(not the truck harness) just the light side heres a picture. if these are trimmed i can get connectors that fit. I already have one sent to a member here.
ok well I’m gonna quote myself here and say this trimming isn’t going to be needed. Thanks to @SomethingRandom for taking the time to check his truck today(I didn’t have my truck with me), he checked the color of the connector on the passenger side and it’s black, I can get the black connectors all day long so going forward the connection will be made on the passenger side. I verified my truck has the black connector here also.

Here’s a little write up on it..

access the glove box, unhook the latch as pictured

drop the glove box down

access the passenger side ambient light it’s the black connector in the picture. My harness going forward will plug in here

Old 10-29-2021, 08:48 PM
Buckeye71
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I installed ambiant lighting to my cup holders tonight. The harness works great and is very good quality. The hard part for me was getting the console to pop loose and fishing the wire through. I ended up using a coat hanger bent in a u shape and got it through. It might be easier to unbold the storage compartment in the front. Not sure as I didn’t try this. But it everything worked great and couldn’t recommend this more

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-29-2021, 09:22 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Buckeye71
I installed ambiant lighting to my cup holders tonight. The harness works great and is very good quality. The hard part for me was getting the console to pop loose and fishing the wire through. I ended up using a coat hanger bent in a u shape and got it through. It might be easier to unbold the storage compartment in the front. Not sure as I didn’t try this. But it everything worked great and couldn’t recommend this more
glad to hear it worked! And yes getting through the console isn’t the easiest! For those catching up on this, he was the first to ask me for help/build a harness and I’m glad it all worked out!
Here’s his cup holders working

Old 10-31-2021, 09:52 AM
SomethingRandom
Tuned
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob38jr
Please add me to the list for a harness also. Thanks

Any recommendations where best to order the Light Ring?
fairwayfordparts had the best otd price I could find. You can also use ford pass points to purchase

Old 10-31-2021, 10:23 AM
Rob38jr
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingRandom
fairwayfordparts had the best otd price I could find. You can also use ford pass points to purchase
Thanks. Do you get Ford Pass points when you purchase a new truck? My ‘22 Tremor is “In Transit” so I haven’t taken delivery yet. Hopefully in next week or 2.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:26 PM
FoxBraap
Cross-Country
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Is there a difference in the ability for the cup holder to hold liquids after this mod?
I even wonder how the previous years with the lights factory seal up.

It's pretty inevitable for little bits of coffee or something to spill into the bottom of cup holders. That huge pit in the bottom of the one cup holder in mine was 1/4 full of liquid crap.

Quick Reply: 2022 super duty cup holder light install