2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2022 6.7 Power Stroke and CP4 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 09:30 PM
cmb456
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 6.7 Power Stroke and CP4 Issue

Does the 2022 6.7 Power Stroke engine still have the CP4 high pressure fuel pump issue ? In other words does it still cause fuel contamination.

Thanks.

Top Answer

10-24-2021, 05:39 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,787 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by cmb456
Thanks for the responses.
So, basically a disaster prevention kit still has to be installed on the 2022 6.7 engines.

Any idea why Ford doesn’t just use a better fuel pump ? Or does Ford just figure that owners will fix this issue themselves ?
1. *MOST* 6.7 PSD’s never have an issue as long as the owner/operator puts clean fuel in, and does not add the wrong fuel or contaminants to the fuel.
2. One would find it necessary to ask FoMoCo about the *why* because any answer here is just speculation on anyone’s part.

Ignorance on the part of the owner/operator is a large part of the issues. Do NOT use alcohol based additives. Keep proper fuel for the temperatures in the vehicle. ( Allowing the fuel to gel up in cold weather = pump is running dry). Do NOT add DEF to fuel tank. Things like that.
Some folks can’t sleep nights because they are too worried about the things they have read on the internet. These failures can and do happen; but IMHO they get way overblown on the ‘net. With all that; maybe diesel is just not for everybody.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Does the 2022 6.7 Power Stroke engine still have the CP4 high pressure fuel pump issue ? In other words does it still cause fuel contamination.

Thanks.
Yes, 2022 does have the CP4…….No, it does not cause fuel contamination; but fuel contamination has a very highn probability of damaging the CP4 and related components.

The following 3 users liked this post by Desert Don:
Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
I think it’s the other way around. Fuel contamination causes CP4 failures.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sport45:
Old 10-22-2021, 11:05 PM
bent-1
More Turbo
Received 167 Likes on 107 Posts
We had a fuel pump bypass installed on our fleet of 6.7’s. When the pump grenades, it protects the rail & injectors.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:13 AM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by bent-1
We had a fuel pump bypass installed on our fleet of 6.7’s. When the pump grenades, it protects the rail & injectors.
Did you ever have to find out how effective the disaster prevention kits were?

Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 AM
cmb456
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, basically a disaster prevention kit still has to be installed on the 2022 6.7 engines.

Any idea why Ford doesn’t just use a better fuel pump ? Or does Ford just figure that owners will fix this issue themselves ?

Old 10-24-2021, 05:39 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver

1. *MOST* 6.7 PSD’s never have an issue as long as the owner/operator puts clean fuel in, and does not add the wrong fuel or contaminants to the fuel.
2. One would find it necessary to ask FoMoCo about the *why* because any answer here is just speculation on anyone’s part.

Ignorance on the part of the owner/operator is a large part of the issues. Do NOT use alcohol based additives. Keep proper fuel for the temperatures in the vehicle. ( Allowing the fuel to gel up in cold weather = pump is running dry). Do NOT add DEF to fuel tank. Things like that.
Some folks can’t sleep nights because they are too worried about the things they have read on the internet. These failures can and do happen; but IMHO they get way overblown on the ‘net. With all that; maybe diesel is just not for everybody.

The following 11 users liked this post by Desert Don:
94yj, allendks45, BillyE, bobv60, chadstickpoindexter, mcmurm, Patriot1, scraprat, SUPERTRUCKERS, Texaswilliam, Tom and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-24-2021, 06:37 AM
Sanspy
Junior User
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Don

I agree. There are many trucks on the road with many miles with no issues. I would also add change the fuel filters at the manufacturer recommended intervals.

In unfamiliar areas use fuel stations with high fuel turnover. Paying a few more cent per gallon is worth it for piece of mind.

Lastly, should a driver realize they made a mistake at the pump before they leave. Don’t start the engine, don’t even cycle the key into accessory mode. Pull the fuse for then fuel pump and call for a tow. Pulling the fuse will prevent the pump from priming the system and sending any contaminates into the pump.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sanspy:
Old 10-24-2021, 01:27 PM
NeverboughtanFseries
More Turbo
Received 321 Likes on 180 Posts

Bosche makes the fuel pump. They are probably at the pinnacle of engineering in that respect.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:24 AM
slownsy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have a look at the Ram recall on their fuel pump.
Frank.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:07 AM
HogWild2020
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I owned a custom ordered, brand new 2020 F250 Lariat Tremor with 6.7L Turbodiesel that I took deliver of in February 2020. It lasted 5 months and 7490 miles before the fuel pump detonated, stalling the truck while in motion and in the middle of Friday evening, 5-o'clock traffic. I barely managed to get the truck out of traffic without an accident. It took Ford 88 days to fix my truck, admittedly due to COVID. To those who think the problem is water in the fuel, I'm going to respectfully disagree. First, there's a water separator on the engine. Second, if it was water, I feel confident that Ford would not have covered my repair under warranty. Third, there's a reason both GM and Dodge have gone away from the Bosch CP4. Based on my reading of quite a bit of literature (including the class action complaint) and watching YouTube videos, the CP4 works fine when diesel fuel from Europe is used. Here in the US, the ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel seems to be the problem. I fully expect Ford will eventually go away from the CP4. When they do, I'll consider buying another one. I absolutely loved every single aspect of my F250 Tremor except one. Maybe I was just the unlucky one but I would definitely not operate a 6.7L diesel without using a fuel additive to provide lubricity. (Yep, that was an addition to my vocabulary as a result of my CP4 education.)

The following 3 users liked this post by HogWild2020:
Old 12-18-2021, 11:27 AM
CR250Bronco
Senior User
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
I personally know 2 people with CP4s that detonated (one Chevy, the other ford, unk years) this happened to. One let dealer take B/O truck and wrapped up the debt into another diesel truck (Ram, with CP3), the other sold the B/O truck to a friend (he told him), and bought a decked out GAS 250. I know other people who haven’t had any issues with their diesels (all under 80k tho). The problem is REAL. The question is what are the chances it happens to you? I couldn’t find that answer anywhere, manufacturer’s are not going to release that data. What made me go with a gas 250 is; *IF* it happened to me The repair bill, 10k+, is too much, keep in mind it can happen again if repaired… Ram went to CP4 for 20’ and 21’, Ram just announced a full recall on the CP4s and is going back to CP3 (possibly slightly modified). This sealed the deal for me to go gas. I want to go camping with the family in the middle of nowhere, just us. Last thing we need is to get stranded in limp mode, grenade the CP4, bo emissions sensor, not to mention submerging a red hot turbo in a mud/water. I dont NEED the diesel capability, although i do WANT it. The 7.3 is avg while diesel at 15.3, its really not that much of a difference for my use. I do think the vast majority of dieselers CP4 performs just fine for at least 150k. I do not think its as common as the internet can make it seem. But if it does happen to you, its very expensive.

Also, I think the CP4 and modern emissions system problems are eventually going to close the premium resell value enjoyed by diesels. There is a reason a lot of people are trading “up” and OUT of their diesel trucks as the warranty expires. Word is getting out about the high cost for repairs to diesels. I couldnt find a decent used gas hd in my search, plenty of diesels tho. Sure less gassers were sold, but i see gas closing the gap, especially with these new transmissions.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:15 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by HogWild2020
To those who think the problem is water in the fuel, I'm going to respectfully disagree. First, there's a water separator on the engine. Second, if it was water, I feel confident that Ford would not have covered my repair under warranty. Third, there's a reason both GM and Dodge have gone away from the Bosch CP4. Based on my reading of quite a bit of literature (including the class action complaint) and watching YouTube videos, the CP4 works fine when diesel fuel from Europe is used. Here in the US, the ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel seems to be the problem.
I have not found anyone who says that the ONLY way these pumps fail is from water in fuel. It is possible for them to fail, as in your case, without the sign of any fuel contamination. If Ford found any sign of fuel contamination(water,DEF,gas...) you would be telling a different story. As for the water separator, yes there is one but by others accounts it's questionable how effective it is in alerting the driver before it's too late. There is no doubt that fuel contamination can kill these pumps, the question I would have is, how often is it fuel contamination the cause vs. not.

I'm no expert, but if you dig a little deeper into the details of Euro diesel and US diesel you will find that our ultra low sulfur diesel has a higher max sulfur count than European diesel. You can verify, but I believe our standard is 15ppm and theirs 10ppm. So it's not that their diesel is a higher sulfur diesel, because it's not, but they do have lower lubricity standard value (lower is better). Here our max lubricity value is 520, Europe it's 460. Lower= better lubricity. I haven't yet looked into exactly how they increase the lubricity of their diesel compared to ours.

This is an old article but still relevant today. It doesn't include Europe but is an interesting read on the topic of lubricity in diesel.

TAKING THE MYSTERY OUT OF LUBRICITY | Fuel Oil News

Old 12-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Doug Savage
Tuned
Received 230 Likes on 116 Posts
Well crap …. It seems like there are a thousand things destined to go terribly wrong with my new, and very expensive, truck. I guess I’ve been spoiled by my Toyota Tundra reliability…..

so….. what is the best additive for lubricity? I’m using XPD All in One currently.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:51 PM
nc350
More Turbo
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
I've heard butter works well!

Quick Reply: 2022 6.7 Power Stroke and CP4 Issue