cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
ranchero77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control

here is the deal. I have a 77 ranchero. I made a custom dash with all autometer gauges. the old brittle plastic instrument cluster is completely removed.
the cruise control no longer works now. I know about the sensor inline on the speedo cable so cruise engauges after 30mph.

my question is what wires do I need to use/connect /jump off the stock insrtument cluster connector to have cruise control again? I have ruled out only about 7 of about 12 wires. I am hoping for an easy fix. anybody done this?

Old 12-03-2003, 07:11 PM
LHO39
New User
On my 1985 E150 van the is nothing for the factory cruise that goes through the instrument panel. I don't know about yours. Here is a website with some info.

http://dalidesign.com/hbook/ccmain.html

Larry

Old 12-04-2003, 06:24 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
this is a good start. thanks LH039.
the amp may have been getting its 12volts from the instrament cluster harness which would explain why it stoped working immediatly after the change over.
the site has some electrical tests I will have to try as soon as I can. this will really narrow things down for me.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:08 PM
TheBobs
Junior User
Hey Ranchero77,

Can you elaborate on how you modified your guage panel to accept the standard mix of guages?

I would love to update to Nordskog digitals and would love to hear from you on what you did to prepare your dash.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-09-2003, 07:03 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
sure, no problem. I first started out by labeling where all the wires from the original dash cluster harness went. there were a few I never figured out which I guess is why I lost cruise control. hope to fix next chance I get now that I have more info.
I then made a poster board template and traced it out onto 14ga aluminum. before cutting it out I allowed for extra material in bending mounting tabs top and bottom. covered the new gauge face with 2" masking tape and began mapping in the gauge locations off some center lines and adjusting them till the spacing looked good. I went with autometer 3 1/2" in-dash speedo and tach with 2 5/8" for the rest. then using a hole saw made my cuts with it clamped to a piece of particle board.
I deburred all the edges and powder coated it black. ok, installation. because of the slight angle of the original dash face I had to make 3/8" shim like bezzles to slightly tilt the speedo and tach to get the right look. then I wired in all the gauge lights together so I only had two wires to hook up. this is where the labeling of the wires helps, like for the dimer wire from the old dash lights or fuel sender wire. the speedo was th last thing I hooked up. I disconected the cable at the speed sensor and put that short piece on the gauge. I almost forgot the turn signal lights. I cut out trialges about the same size as stock. I bent up a small box and brazed together with a divider to enclose and seperate the holes from light. put in rubber grommets to hold the lights and glued in the the piece of green film from the stock gauge cluster.
this was a fun project to do and you can be as creative as you want. I added a silver pin stripe around the outside egde to finish it off. hope that explains it for you. I have dash pic in my gallery.
Later

Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
TheBobs
Junior User
Thanks for the info. Someday I will install digital guages.

Steve