6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

passive regen

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 01:42 PM
FoxBraap
Cross-Country
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
And this thread goes to show why Ford eliminated the DPF screens for the owner. Unnecessary worrying over nothing. Just drive like normal.
I figured the big thing is If they all came off the dealer lot with the ability to do a OCR there would be some owners burning their garage walls or paint off of vehicles next to them in a driveway or parking lot.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-22-2021, 02:04 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Received 300 Likes on 209 Posts
really only monitor it to compare whats going on based on my driving and if i need to adjust my "use" . frankly it has been used very light since new and i only have 4800 miles so far, with just over 800 miles of heavy load trailer towing according to the instrument panel

last night i ran out to the pizza place to pick up a pizza, its 24 miles round trip at 65 mph once i am out of my neighborhood to the main state hwy. additionally its right at 4 miles total at 25mph in the Hood, from my house to the state hwy
left at 75 % returned at 85%.. idled at pizza place for around 4 minutes with ac on , so pretty sure the heat was enough at 65, and she cooled way down in the neighborhood trek
yes we live in the STICKS . more cows than people

i figure it will do a commanded regen this week on the way to town. then the long trip should get it cleaned out, as it will be loaded down and running at least 76 the entire 600 plus miles (not including rest area breaks)
will fill up at QT, and see if it changes mpg . then bucc ees in alabama for return run.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,627 Likes on 742 Posts
I think you are worrying about it too much. When I bought my 2011 back in August 2010. Yes I watched the Active Regen like a hawk. I rarely even look at it now

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 01:48 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
well i say now it was 100% fuel from murhphys
I left around 6 am on Tuesday with about 1/2 tank, for mobile al. stopped to fill up at Quick trip, added just over 1/2 tank of fuel and QT has bio in the fuel
got on highway and ran 75 to 80 continuous for over 200 miles, stopped at rest area and got back in and ran 65 to 75 the next 3 hrs, then back up to 75 to 80 the next 2 hrs. dpf stayed at 80 % the entire way until i stopped at an alabama rest area. one back up on highway after a few minutes stop, it started to drop fast, like 5% every ten or so minutes until 20%,
i did few miles of light traffic and it stayed at 20%

next morning i put in over about 7/8s of a tank, and i filled it right to the lip as i was only getting 20 mpg, vice last run of 23 and wanted to make it home without getting fuel
got on highway and ran 70-75 for 2 hrs, stopped at rest area long enough to evac bladder, dpf stayed at 20%
then ran another 3 hrs at 75 or more , then all the sudden it started counting down to 0% on dpf and stayed there until i got above alexandria where the Outside temps dropped from mid 70s to 41..yep freaking 41
then it started climbing back up slowly and by time i got home about 3 hrs later it was up to 45%.
this morning ran 20 miles to doctor and boom it dropped to 0% . from a truck commanded regen.
over all avg for the just over 1300 mile round trip was 20.1 , which was down from the 22 last trip. this was using math vs miles . dash read 21 with a high of 22.
I really like this truck on long runs, except it gets really light out back at around 1/8 of tank of fuel remaining

Old 11-04-2021, 02:12 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,064 Likes on 818 Posts
I had forscan in to monitor dpf info

from 20% thru 105% no passive regen during an hour trip.

the last few minutes of the trip I had to floor it to make a light and I guess the back pressure from doing that triggered an active regen.

within 60 seconds the regen took the dpf status from 105 to low twenty’s.

not getting any passive regens since my last pcm programming…but now I get this super fast regen that almost takes no time at all.

going forward I’m going to monitor exhuast temps as well and will be doing a cool down to make sure my temps are low before shutting off.

concerned about cracking dpf honey combs.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,698 Likes on 4,876 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I had forscan in to monitor dpf info

from 20% thru 105% no passive regen during an hour trip.

the last few minutes of the trip I had to floor it to make a light and I guess the back pressure from doing that triggered an active regen.

within 60 seconds the regen took the dpf status from 105 to low twenty’s.

not getting any passive regens since my last pcm programming…but now I get this super fast regen that almost takes no time at all.

going forward I’m going to monitor exhuast temps as well and will be doing a cool down to make sure my temps are low before shutting off.

concerned about cracking dpf honey combs.
You guys with the newer trucks are fortunate to be able to turn off the auto-regen. I wish I had the option to do that...

Anyway... What's nice about my regens and the fact that I do them on a 65 mph expressway is that the DPF has time to cool down at speed before I get home after an active regen. But I believe you brought up a good point Fritz about allowing the DPF to cool down before allowing the truck to sit. You could have something there for sure.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:24 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Overkill2
You guys with the newer trucks are fortunate to be able to turn off the auto-regen. I wish I had the option to do that...

Anyway... What's nice about my regens and the fact that I do them on a 65 mph expressway is that the DPF has time to cool down at speed before I get home after an active regen. But I believe you brought up a good point Fritz about allowing the DPF to cool down before allowing the truck to sit. You could have something there for sure.
at 65 mph in my case will not do a passive regen, just not enough heat.
if i run sustained 77 or more it USUALLY do them.
and at 77 and above is where i get best mpg. i think the truck is not working hard enough at lower speeds, so i drive faster
i did notice my tail pipe is CLEAN clean clean and shiny, so the scr and dpf are doing their jobs. I also noticed on alot of OTR trucks i watched this trip, many had clean stacks as well

Old 11-06-2021, 08:13 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,698 Likes on 4,876 Posts
Originally Posted by robert sloane
at 65 mph in my case will not do a passive regen, just not enough heat.
if i run sustained 77 or more it USUALLY do them.
and at 77 and above is where i get best mpg. i think the truck is not working hard enough at lower speeds, so i drive faster
i did notice my tail pipe is CLEAN clean clean and shiny, so the scr and dpf are doing their jobs. I also noticed on alot of OTR trucks i watched this trip, many had clean stacks as well
I had passive regening happening today at just over 60 mph. I set the cruise and drove but I do climb when I go home on the expressway. I am now paying more at the pump so I'm trying to get slightly more mileage out of the truck by slowing down some. Plus winter fuel is here or will be here as it's now getting in the 20s and 30s now at night. As long as EGT4 is at least 500 deg, she regens when on the expressway.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:48 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
had some fun with live logging in forscan
drove 68 to 70 for 26 or so miles
really funny egt temps
when i could stay right at 70 for a few miles (5 or so) the temps seemed to go what i would think is normal
higher temps at egt 11 and lower out at the last egt 14 see 1st pic

i took snap shots . 2nd pic
egt 11 which is at the end of the downpipe was 551F
egt 12 which is near the dosing injection for def was 554F, yup hotter
egt 13 which is at the entrance to the DPF was 505F, so i think the def injection was cooling the temps ??
egt 14 at end of dfp and near transition to last leg of the tail pipe was 530F so is the dpf building heat? in other screen shots the value was higher than the dpf egt 13
dpf level was reading 55% on dash, but you see the pressure was low in the intake side to the dpf 0.4 . this fluctuated between .01 and .07 that i saw as i drove and had an eyeball to glance over at computer

at a stop sign i left with a 3/4 throttle and glanced at egt 11..never went over 600F, i cant believe how much cooler this engine runs compared to the 6.0 and 7.3 . my 7.3 i could have went past 1200 in a blink

anyway i had a free time and no passenger