BINGO! Removing heater core from 87 E-150 with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:39 AM
doug023
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BINGO! Removing heater core from 87 E-150 with A/C

Well, I had a bunch of problems trying to remove the heater core from my 87 E-150 (with A/C) the other day, because Haynes apparently only refers to models without A/C (or whatever – they were definitely WAYYYY off). I spent HOURS without success the other day. I had searched this site, and posted in another thread, to no avail.

I did some research over the weekend, and boiled several resources down to a method that I just tried. Not only did it work very well, but also I was able to get the old heater core out in under an hour. I DO NOT know how this cross-references against other models and model years, but you may find this guide handy if you have a similar model/year that I do.

Heater Core removal:

1. Disconnect the vehicle’s battery.

2. Drain at least 1 gallon of coolant into a clean container. (I’m not gonna go into the hazards of coolants to your pets, children, environment, yourself, etc. Just keep in mind – it’s highly poisonous crap! Don’t drain it onto the ground!)

3. Remove the computer cover from under the passenger-side dashboard.

4. Remove computer bracket from under passenger dashboard. (If you’re very careful, you do not need to remove the computer altogether. You can let it hang from a cable tie or something.)

5. Remove the 3 wires from blower motor. (1 wire + 1 multi-wire connector at the resistor, and 1 ground wire)

6. Remove the blower motor cover. (Mine has 5 screws on the round face, and 2 screws on a flange hidden up under the dash)

7. Remove the vacuum line from the small vacuum motor to the right of the blower housing (vent actuator?). Also, remove the retaining washer that holds this vacuum motor’s arm to the vent-door linkage.

8. Unscrew the fuel pump reset switch from the sidewall. (I had to remove a piece of interior plastic trim to gain access to the reset switch) The switch can also hang in place, if you are very careful.

9. Remove the screws holding the blower motor case in place. (You do not need to remove the motor itself from its case.) The screws will be mostly around the perimeter of the case. In the process you will be removing one screw that holds a bracket that holds the blend door actuator cable in place. This screw is at the upper left hand corner of the blower housing. When the screws are all out, you can carefully pry the blower motor housing away. It will still be held in place by a sticky gasket.

10. Disconnect the cable from the top linkage of the blend door. Remove the blend door and its housing as a unit.

11. From the engine compartment, remove the 2 heater hoses from the heater core.

12. Back inside the vehicle, remove the 2 sheet-metal brackets that hold the heater core in place. One is at the top and one is at the bottom. Each bracket is held in place with only 1 screw. Remove the screw, gently begin to pry the bracket away from the screw hole, and then pull the bracket toward you.

13. The heater core can now be removed. Mine was held in place by a very gooey sealant. You will have to gently pry it toward the right until the hose stems are clear of their holes (into the engine bay), and then pull toward you.

14. If you had a core leak, then you will undoubtedly have to clean out the heater core box. Also, gently scrape away any remaining gasket material. Get it nice and clean – if you don’t you’ll still smell coolant after the replacement is in.

Installation is the reverse of the removal. Before starting the vehicle, remember to top off with coolant, and reconnect the battery.

Even though this seems like many steps, it actually only took me about 45 minutes to get the old core out. And I’m not a pro mechanic – just a shadetree schmuck trying to save a few bucks on a heater core replacement.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:06 PM
wolfen
Senior User
Welcome to FTE doug023,

Quite the lengthy discription you have here!
Congrats on having the nads to perform a task, utilizing your own creative skills!
We are one in the same, you + I!

Old 12-05-2003, 04:26 PM
geson
Freshman User
very good post and just as I was beginning the same chore on an 86 e-150....the methods you had to learn the hard way will greatly assist me...thanks

Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an old thread but..

Originally Posted by geson
very good post and just as I was beginning the same chore on an 86 e-150....the methods you had to learn the hard way will greatly assist me...thanks
I had to say this...thanks to the OP for posting this info.

I only wish this kind of info would be included in basic sticky..just in case some other elder gents are needing to work on some of the early 80's vintage vans.

I am now changing out the the heater core on my 83 E150 and was on this path to take it out having no other info..and after reading this..I'll continue my direction this OP took.

There is a lot of info RE: no a/c vans but for factory a/c vans..not so much...

UPDATE: Old heater core is out...and will be a warming heater again shortly.

Thanks again doug023, may this Christmas season find you and yours happy & healthy still..and well.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Great write-up to be sure!

You might also post this in the Vans forums---we could have it included in the tech folder there. I know someone else will find this very helpful.

Seems there's almost a special club for those of us who've changed E-Series van heater cores---they ain't easy, seem to get more difficult the later the year.

Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnSmith3524
II only wish this kind of info would be included in basic sticky..just in case some other elder gents are needing to work on some of the early 80's vintage vans.
Ya just have to ask.

I'm not the mod for this forum, but I've thrown this into the tech folder of the E-series van forum.

Thanks for the message J W.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks

Originally Posted by Tom
Ya just have to ask.

I'm not the mod for this forum, but I've thrown this into the tech folder of the E-series van forum.

Thanks for the message J W.
Thanks for doing this... wasn't sure how to get it done..but I'm sure others will benefit...Kudos...