2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Moonroof, Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:20 AM
nickshu
Tuned
Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
I have had 3 F-series trucks w/ the panoramic roof. Zero issues w/ the roof on any of them.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 AM
adllewis42
Junior User
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Pros are the views, the added light, and the added resale value.
Cons are the potential for added maintenance (not sure how true this one is ... ) and if you leave the shade pulled back in the summer, it can turn the cabin into a greenhouse.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
The CONS here in Texas is the dang heat that big *** window up there lets in tons of heat. Like I said never have opened it rarely ever even open the little shade thing either. Wasnt a option then or I wouldn’t have got it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lamoon78:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:40 AM
RubenZ
More Turbo
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts
Well since your asking for opinions here's mine.

I think they are the most stupid and worthless add on to a vehicle. I don't understand the need for one. Like ok you can open and look at the sky !!! Oh no wait I live in South Texas and even now in Mid October its 98 degrees.... CLose it back up!!!! LOL

Seriously. Like others have said once the initial wow factor is over you pretty much leave it closed forever. If you live in an area with lots of hail storms its bad, if you park under trees that drop a lot of acorns, dead branches, etc you're always paranoid something will break glass. And did I say they just are worthless. Its not like anyone really ever sits in their truck and opens the moon roof to gaze at the stars. That's only in movies and commercials. I mean you have a truck bed for crying out loud, get out and go lay in the bed lol.

The following 4 users liked this post by RubenZ:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by RubenZ
Well since your asking for opinions here's mine.

I think they are the most stupid and worthless add on to a vehicle. I don't understand the need for one. Like ok you can open and look at the sky !!! Oh no wait I live in South Texas and even now in Mid October its 98 degrees.... CLose it back up!!!! LOL

Seriously. Like others have said once the initial wow factor is over you pretty much leave it closed forever. If you live in an area with lots of hail storms its bad, if you park under trees that drop a lot of acorns, dead branches, etc you're always paranoid something will break glass. And did I say they just are worthless. Its not like anyone really ever sits in their truck and opens the moon roof to gaze at the stars. That's only in movies and commercials. I mean you have a truck bed for crying out loud, get out and go lay in the bed lol.
Pretty much sums it up right here they are basically worthless IMHO.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 AM
redford
Received 1,597 Likes on 933 Posts
My take on it, it can't leak or fail if you don't have one to start with.

We have other vehicles with sun/moon/panoramic roofs. We don't use them.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:11 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I'm not fond of them. Had 'em in other vehicles and rarely opened any of them because I don't like the sun shining on me or my dashboard while driving. Those other vehicles with a sunroof were unibody construction car and SUV. Those allowed for a more robust structure to keep the hole in the roof from flexing much. With a pickup, the supporting structure only exists between the bed and the firewall ... not much.

Before ordering my 2017 KR, I read several posts here in FTE about the problems people were having with the sunroof. Those posts definitely swayed me away from such a non-essential option which I never liked much anyway. Used to have a 1980 Triumph Spitfire convertible ... wound up buying a removable hardtop for it.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:08 AM
HaoleBoy
Freshman User
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Use mine all the time. Ordered my F450 with carpet delete, leather seats and the moonroof. Nothing fancy, just a nice ranch truck/tow rig.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Blkdane
Mountain Pass
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
Had it on my 13 KR and ordered on my 21 KR. Use it all the time... would not be without it.

My 13 failed right before I sold it.....$2k repair... out of warranty oh well.....

Old 10-13-2021, 10:45 AM
BrokeDown56
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I was all about the moonroof because we love to sightsee with our Jeep top open. BUT.... We tend to keep our vehicles a pretty long time (10 years plus) and as someone said, it is one less thing to maintain/fix. In reality, we will mostly be using the truck for long distant travel while towing the RV. A moonroof is great for sightseeing in the mountains and we open it often when sightseeing. We rarely opened the Jeep top for highway driving. Especially when all you want to do is get where we are going. Lastly, we live in FL and seem to visit a lot of desert climates. The amount of heat coming through that window would not be ideal. When we ordered the F450, we did not order a moonroof.
-B

Old 10-13-2021, 10:49 AM
jriltex
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen brother! Had two trucks with them in and finally said no more. Replaced a cracked glass which no one can still explain why it happened...$2400. Also you loose so much head room for us taller guys. It is Lariats or Platinums from now on. Only two you can still eliminate it. And in Texas you usually never uncovered or opened it because it is too dang hot most of the time.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:02 AM
BrokeDown56
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jriltex
It is Lariats or Platinums from now on.
When I optioned up the Lariat, the price was very close to a Platinum. My sales guy (who has not been wrong yet) said: When we sell the truck, the options do not play a big part in the selling price. He said that a used Platinum will sell for more than a used Lariat no matter how many options the Lariat has. I think he is right on that....So, we went Platinum.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:22 AM
B-737
More Turbo
Received 209 Likes on 119 Posts
I ordered my platinum 2020 F150 without a pano-roof, because online horror stories, didnt want to "deal with it".

when I got the F250 it came with pano roof. I kept the shade shut all the time as the glare was crazy and very uncomfortable! It really felt like a total waste and I hated it. Then, I tinted the sunroof with 5%, which is pretty dark, now I keep the shade open all the time, I have grown to love the panoroof and enjoy the view! Im glad its in the truck, I've come to appreciate it. When i change the oil i put a thin film of grease on the seals and that's it.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:22 AM
jriltex
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BrokeDown56
When I optioned up the Lariat, the price was very close to a Platinum. My sales guy (who has not been wrong yet) said: When we sell the truck, the options do not play a big part in the selling price. He said that a used Platinum will sell for more than a used Lariat no matter how many options the Lariat has. I think he is right on that....So, we went Platinum.
Oh I agree. My Platty got me a better trade in comparatively when I flipped it. If I ordered again it would be a Platinum without the moon roof. It is just hard as heck to find a dealer ordered Platinum without a moon roof. Some dealers will, however, order stock Lariats without the moon roof. So if you shop dealer lots best bet is Lariat for no moon roof. Otherwise order the Platty and get it how you want.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:42 AM
Daddy454
Tuned
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
My 2011 had one when I bought it used.The wife was sold on it.It was cool sometimes,but seldom used.My '19 Lariat did not have one when I bought it new....it was NOT a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Moonroof, Pros and Cons