1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

DRW to SRW Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:19 AM
dnkensinger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRW to SRW Conversion

This may be a topic that has been covered but I can only find a couple of threads that barely touch on it...

In my what seems like eternal search for a 2WD SRW Crew Cab, all I'm really finding are ones that will require a lot of work to resurrect or duallies. What is involved in changing the setup from DRW to SRW, doing it correctly, without cobbing anything together.

My main questions are:

-What's behind the rear "fenders"? Are they just attached with screws or rivets, so only holes, or is part of the bed actually cut out behind them? If that's the case, is my only option a donor bed, and will the bed from an F-250 work? This also raises a question about filler necks...

-What rear axles can I use that will bolt right in with minimal modifications, and what would those modifications be?

-What must be done to the front end, if anything?

If it's important to take into consideration, I'd want to end up with something like the American Racing Outlaw wheels all around.

Thanks for any input!!

Old 08-29-2021, 11:57 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,127 Likes on 1,811 Posts
Well the bed sides are cut open for the dual wheels to fit so either would need a new bed or re-side that bed.
You would need to deal with the gas fill on top of the bed sides.

Cant help on the rest but here's a bump
Dave ----

Old 08-29-2021, 04:14 PM
aaa2231
5th Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Been a long time since I've worked on a drw truck. Do you mean axle shafts or the whole differential? I think the only thing you would have to change is the wheel studs, maybe the brake drums.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:18 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I think the axles are different as are the wheel bolt pattern no?
That is why you cant just go swapping SRW wheels on a DRW truck IIRC.
Dave ----

Old 08-29-2021, 05:33 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
A SRW axle will bolt in onto those leaf springs and let you run SRW wheels. On the front you need to get the SRW front hubs and rotors and of course the wheels. That's it. Your best option would be to get another SRW truck, something more common and easier to find. You could then get the complete bed and rear axle from it, and also the front brake pieces you need to change it to SRW.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 PM
dnkensinger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
A SRW axle will bolt in onto those leaf springs and let you run SRW wheels. On the front you need to get the SRW front hubs and rotors and of course the wheels. That's it. Your best option would be to get another SRW truck, something more common and easier to find. You could then get the complete bed and rear axle from it, and also the front brake pieces you need to change it to SRW.
I am assuming so long as both the DRW and SRW trucks are Cab/Pickup trucks, this would hold true.

Stupid question, but are all the beds across the spectrum for 80-86 virtually the same? So if I ended up with a parts truck F-250, I could use the axle, bed and front hubs on the DRW truck?

Any one style axle I should be looking for? I'm thinking a 3:55 is my best bet for all around driving...

Old 08-29-2021, 05:55 PM
aaa2231
5th Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow shows you how much I know! This all makes sense now, not an easy swap. Look harder for that srw crew cab!

Old 08-30-2021, 03:23 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by dnkensinger
I am assuming so long as both the DRW and SRW trucks are Cab/Pickup trucks, this would hold true.

Stupid question, but are all the beds across the spectrum for 80-86 virtually the same? So if I ended up with a parts truck F-250, I could use the axle, bed and front hubs on the DRW truck?

Any one style axle I should be looking for? I'm thinking a 3:55 is my best bet for all around driving...
3.55 is harder to find, and good for ocassional hauling. 4.10's are better for a lot of heavy hauling and seem to be easier to find. I would stick with the latest truck you can find, I like the Ford Sterling rearends since the brakes are easier to work on. The earlier trucks came with the Dana rearends which are good units, but they put the drums behind the axle. So you have to pull the axles to work on the brakes..

Old 07-22-2023, 04:18 PM
Klenahan
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question about this, does this mean if i have an f150 SRW and found a DRW f350 that I want the engine, trans, and frame for, it's just swapping my front hubs and rear axel then bed and cab? The 350 is missing the bed and cab is shot with no title. Would this then give me the 350 gvwr or since it has 150 parts it would be the 150's? Thanks!

Old 07-22-2023, 05:39 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by Klenahan
Quick question about this, does this mean if i have an f150 SRW and found a DRW f350 that I want the engine, trans, and frame for, it's just swapping my front hubs and rear axel then bed and cab? The 350 is missing the bed and cab is shot with no title. Would this then give me the 350 gvwr or since it has 150 parts it would be the 150's? Thanks!
I read it several times and not sure exactly what you want to do, but the f150 axles are different. The bearings are smaller, they only have 5 lugs versus the 8 lug f250/350. While the f150 rear axle will bolt in, you would only have f150 capacity. Not sure about the front axle. but if it did fit, you would be only f150 capacity, same as the rear, smaller bearings, 5 lug rims. The body parts will swap. The engine/trans will swap with the correct motor/frame brackets.

You may have a problem with the title. It's illegal to swap vin tags. The VIN has a number or letter in it that designates if it's a f150 or a f250 or a f350.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:47 PM
Klenahan
Cross-Country
I read it several times and not sure exactly what you want to do, but the f150 axles are different. The bearings are smaller, they only have 5 lugs versus the 8 lug f250/350. While the f150 rear axle will bolt in, you would only have f150 capacity. Not sure about the front axle. but if it did fit, you would be only f150 capacity, same as the rear, smaller bearings, 5 lug rims. The body parts will swap. The engine/trans will swap with the correct motor/frame brackets.

You may have a problem with the title. It's illegal to swap vin tags. The VIN has a number or letter in it that designates if it's a f150 or a f250 or a f350.
yea so the f350 has no title or bed and the cab is shot. My f150 has rust, but has title and bed. I wanted to know if I could put the cab, bed, and rear axle in the f350. Both are 2wd to make it a srw f350. Is the axel a limiting point? I always thought it was more frame strength and suspension. Aside matching the lug pattern, I can't imagine I'd have ti swap the front hubs right? As far as the engine and trans, it's the same engine and I plan on using the f350 trans
I have title for my f150 cab, I always thought the vin went with the cab right? Not the frame?

Old 07-23-2023, 05:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Klenahan
yea so the f350 has no title or bed and the cab is shot. My f150 has rust, but has title and bed. I wanted to know if I could put the cab, bed, and rear axle in the f350. Both are 2wd to make it a srw f350. Is the axel a limiting point? I always thought it was more frame strength and suspension. Aside matching the lug pattern, I can't imagine I'd have ti swap the front hubs right? As far as the engine and trans, it's the same engine and I plan on using the f350 trans
I have title for my f150 cab, I always thought the vin went with the cab right? Not the frame?
The cab & bed will fit the 350 frame if it is a pickup frame and not a CC frame.

As for the 150 axle bolting to the 350 springs I am not sure but think it may BUT .........
The wheel bolt pattern of the now 150 rear axle will not fit the front 350 hubs.

Then you said something about GVWR.
If you do the 150 cab / bed swap on to the 350 frame / running gear the truck should have the GVWR of the 350 BUT ......
if you are pulled over for a weight issue and they check the door sticker it will have the GVWR of the 150 and that is what they go by.
They dont care the 150 body is sitting on a 350 frame / running gear the sticker said 150 GVWR and you get a ticket and not a good one

In the end why the 150 rear axle with the cab / bed in to the 350 frame?
What is it you are looking for as an out come?
The higher GVWR of the 350? If so you cant use the 150 axle in the 350 frame and have the 350 GVWR as the 150 axle cant handle it.

BTW if you do the 150 cab / bed swap on to the 350 note if you go to sell and someone looks at the VIN's they will not match the body & frame.
What might help is if you can get a BOS for the 350 even with out a title you have proof you bought the 350 and did not steal it when sh** hits the fan.
Just my .02
Dave ----

Old 07-23-2023, 06:33 AM
Klenahan
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
The cab & bed will fit the 350 frame if it is a pickup frame and not a CC frame.

As for the 150 axle bolting to the 350 springs I am not sure but think it may BUT .........
The wheel bolt pattern of the now 150 rear axle will not fit the front 350 hubs.

Then you said something about GVWR.
If you do the 150 cab / bed swap on to the 350 frame / running gear the truck should have the GVWR of the 350 BUT ......
if you are pulled over for a weight issue and they check the door sticker it will have the GVWR of the 150 and that is what they go by.
They dont care the 150 body is sitting on a 350 frame / running gear the sticker said 150 GVWR and you get a ticket and not a good one

In the end why the 150 rear axle with the cab / bed in to the 350 frame?
What is it you are looking for as an out come?
The higher GVWR of the 350? If so you cant use the 150 axle in the 350 frame and have the 350 GVWR as the 150 axle cant handle it.

BTW if you do the 150 cab / bed swap on to the 350 note if you go to sell and someone looks at the VIN's they will not match the body & frame.
What might help is if you can get a BOS for the 350 even with out a title you have proof you bought the 350 and did not steal it when sh** hits the fan.
Just my .02
Dave ----
so my reasoning for using my 150 axle would be so I can use the 150 bed without having to go out and find another srw 8 lug axle. As for weight, I wasn't planning to tow anything crazy, probably just a camper, pontoon boat, and heaviest thing might be another truck. The 350 would come with a bill of sale too. But the more I think about it the more I think it would be better to just find a different trans and rear gear to put in my current setup. I had found this for sale local for a decent price and thought it might be worth it but it's starting to sound like more of a headache than I thought.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:43 AM
Franklin2
Your path on this one if you wanted to pursue it, would be to complete your plan, use the f150 cab and title, axles, etc., and have a f150. It will look like a f150, and have the capacity of a f150 and the title would say it's a f150. It would just have a f350 frame which no one would be able to really tell, it's just a little bit thicker. No f250/350 duties, though everyone overloads their f150 anyway.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:45 AM
Klenahan
Cross-Country
Your path on this one if you wanted to pursue it, would be to complete your plan, use the f150 cab and title, axles, etc., and have a f150. It will look like a f150, and have the capacity of a f150 and the title would say it's a f150. It would just have a f350 frame which no one would be able to really tell, it's just a little bit thicker. No f250/350 duties, though everyone overloads their f150 anyway.
gotcha, sounds like more of a hassle than its worth at that point, thanks!

Quick Reply: DRW to SRW Conversion