1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Brake lights not working???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:31 PM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights not working???

Hello, Ive read alot of previous posts about the brake light wiring going thru the T_signal in the column. Does it go thru the headlight switch at all? I am sure that my brake lights worked a week ago but recently found out that they arnt lighting up now. turnsignals and taillamps are working. there is power to the brake switch and the other wire has a good ground to the lights. and I checked the switch with an ohmmeter and the switch is working. so if there is power to the switch and the switch is working where would the most likely spot for failure be. the reason I wonder about the headlight switch is that about a week ago I took out the HDLIGHT switch to clean it and the coil wire on the back of the white part was all fubar'd. so I just ripped the whole coil out and ran a wire from post to post in the switch to light up my dash lights. cant dim them but oh well. could there have been something in the switch to do with the brake lights?? or do I need to dig into the column and check it out. its a 66 F250
Thanks for any info

Old 11-02-2003, 04:05 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Did you check the bulbs yet? There are two filaments in your bulbs, one for taillight and one for brake light. On of those two also doubles as the turn signal I believe.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 AM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
ya both filaments are good. for some reason its not sending the power from the switch to the lights. an im not sure where the wires go after the switch. and I really hate to cut into and destroy the harness just to see where they go.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:31 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
According to the diagrams I use the brake lights does go through a "light" switch. I'm assuming it's the headlight switch.

From the headlight switch the brown wire goes through the main disconnect on the firewall, through a 3 wire disconnect, and out to the bubs. This wire should be a ground and has a high chance of being your culprit.

From the stoplight switch the red wire goes to the turn signal flasher and from the flasher to the fuse panel.

From the stoplight switch the red-black wire goes to the turn signal switch through a 6 wire disconnect.

From the turn signal switch you have a green wire and a yellow-black wire that go through a small 2 wire disconnect switch, to the main disconnect at the firewall, through another 3 wire disconnect, and out to the bulbs.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 PM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
doh!!

ok im really a visual person. hahaha. schematics in typed version really lose. ok so what are you talking about when you say 3,6 wire disconnect. do you mean male female connection? I think im gonna have to get me a schematics for this truck. I really didnt think that the wiring would be this indepth for a 66. I noticed that toward the rear of the truck someone at some time has put in splices for a trailer hookup. and then cut the wires off. so I have 3 dead end pigtales.. when I bent them back up under the bed about an hour later my lights were working again. so im thinking that maybe I have a short in that area. but needless to say I need a new HD switch also. thanks for the reply. but I would like to know what you mean by disconnect. thanks
Shane

Old 11-03-2003, 04:24 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
By disconnects I'm referring to the male-female connectors sorry.
I can email you a scanned image of the circuit if you want.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:55 AM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
that would be great. I figured thats what you meant but wanted to make sure. if you would email me that scan I would really appreciate it.
thanks,
Shane

Last edited by Rosati; 11-03-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:38 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
You've got mail from my yahoo addy. Subject = Wiring Diagram for the lights

Old 11-03-2003, 06:29 PM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
ZombieSlayer

Thanks man, thats gonna help alot. Ive already traced down a couple of problems. thanks it is a big help
Shane

Old 11-03-2003, 10:50 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
No problem