2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Hitch 3"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 06:24 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Hitch 3"

What are you guys doing for hitches? $300-$400 for a new hitch isn't going to work for me... Are there any decent alternatives or am I just going to have to suck it up? I have a 2.5" shank for my big stuff that I'm not going to upgrade. I'll just use the factory adapter that came with the truck. I need a dropped w/ a 2" & 2 5/16" ball for the rest of my everyday towing.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Unless you like bent hitch pins or deformation of the hitch pin holes buy a 3" shank hitch.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:53 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Unless you like bent hitch pins or deformation of the hitch pin holes buy a 3" shank hitch.
I hear you, but this is mainly for lighter duty stuff. My utility/motorcycle trailer etc. All my big stuff, 32' Sea Ray, enclosed car trailer etc go on my Fastway E2 hitch.
I came across this and suspect it's about the best I'm going to do for the money.

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-27-2021, 07:07 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
I will be picking up a new Anderson WDH when my truck comes in so I can just get it with a 3 inch shank, however it will come with a 2 5/16” ball. If I need to tow anything with this size ball that will work fine, if not though I will need to come up with something else. I really don’t want to use reducers, so may look at the B&W Dual ball receiver with 3 inch shank… and yeah, it’s a little over $300. The good thing is, we really only tow our camper!

Old 08-27-2021, 07:17 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
I will be picking up a new Anderson WDH when my truck comes in so I can just get it with a 3 inch shank, however it will come with a 2 5/16” ball. If I need to tow anything with this size ball that will work fine, if not though I will need to come up with something else. I really don’t want to use reducers, so may look at the B&W Dual ball receiver with 3 inch shank… and yeah, it’s a little over $300. The good thing is, we really only tow our camper!
If I were buying a new WDH or needed it for the heavy stuff I agree. I'd go with the 3" and suck it up.
You can't really tow anything with the wdh unless you have the bars hooked up.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:22 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,150 Likes on 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
I tow my toy hauler all the time without the WDH configured. It's only between the storage lot and home, which is no more than 15 miles. I can tow my ATV trailer with my WDH (no bars of course).

With regard to your hitch issue, get a 3" shank. The setup is easier and it's less noisy with a 3" shank.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-27-2021, 08:34 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I tow my toy hauler all the time without the WDH configured. It's only between the storage lot and home, which is no more than 15 miles. I can tow my ATV trailer with my WDH (no bars of course).

With regard to your hitch issue, get a 3" shank. The setup is easier and it's less noisy with a 3" shank.
I don't know what brand your WDH is, but with the E2 the ball assembly can tilt rearward if you aren't using the bars. It's not strong as just a regular hitch.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:43 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,150 Likes on 2,857 Posts
I don't know what brand your WDH is, but with the E2 the ball assembly can tilt rearward if you aren't using the bars. It's not strong as just a regular hitch.
I have the Andersen 3".

Old 08-27-2021, 10:01 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Make it simple.
I personally bought a Rhino adjustable. 3” shaft, light to carry, rated for 20K I believe. I have 5 trailers, and I use it on every one. Higher on the deck over flat, lower for the boat, and full 7” drop for the low hauler motorcycle trailer.
It goes from 7” drop to 2” rise.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:08 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by George C
Make it simple.
I personally bought a Rhino adjustable. 3” shaft, light to carry, rated for 20K I believe. I have 5 trailers, and I use it on every one. Higher on the deck over flat, lower for the boat, and full 7” drop for the low hauler motorcycle trailer.
It goes from 7” drop to 2” rise.

Nice looking hitch, but it just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. It might be rated for 20k, but I would be pretty hesitant to tow my car trailer w/ my 69 Camaro in it or my 30' Sea Ray. I'm sure it's fine, so don't get me wrong. I just don't like something hinged like that for towing.
I don't mind having one separate hitch for my HD towing and another for everything else. Noise isn't an issue for me either. I keep enough weight on my tongue to keep the rattles away.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:22 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
If I were buying a new WDH or needed it for the heavy stuff I agree. I'd go with the 3" and suck it up.
The Anderson WDH doesn’t use bars. And it can be used as a regular hitch, as long as the ball is the correct size.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:40 AM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 378 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
The Anderson WDH doesn’t use bars. And it can be used as a regular hitch, as long as the ball is the correct size.
My son in law has this setup and loves it.....

Old 08-27-2021, 10:52 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 321 Posts
I have been running a reducer on my PW since I bought it, granted it is only 2.5-2". I regularly pull 5k lbs on weekends in the summer, and have pulled around 8k with it for long stretches. My FIL has a '19 F450 that we run sleeves in whenever we pull anything with it, and we have pulled a LOT with it.

We have yet to bend a pin in either application.

So my question becomes - how hard are you guys that are bending pins backing into things? Or how hard are you taking off that you're bending pins that are rated to over 50KSI? I'm not trying to judge here, you guys can all drive your trucks how you want, I'm just confused as to how bent receiver pins has become an issue when I have years of experience towing light AND heavy, and have NEVER bent one.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:54 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by MKrenn
My son in law has this setup and loves it.....
I have been wanting one for a while but am holding out until I get my new truck (should be built 9/7!) I’ve seen so many good reviews on these, especially when paired with medium/smaller trailers and these SD’s. I’m just waiting for my truck to get built so I can get all the appropriate measurements and then will place the order. I love that I will be able to get the correct size shank, and as mentioned, will work well as a regular hitch, assuming the ball size is correct.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:59 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 99powerstrokedF250
I have been running a reducer on my PW since I bought it, granted it is only 2.5-2". I regularly pull 5k lbs on weekends in the summer, and have pulled around 8k with it for long stretches. My FIL has a '19 F450 that we run sleeves in whenever we pull anything with it, and we have pulled a LOT with it.

We have yet to bend a pin in either application.

So my question becomes - how hard are you guys that are bending pins backing into things? Or how hard are you taking off that you're bending pins that are rated to over 50KSI? I'm not trying to judge here, you guys can all drive your trucks how you want, I'm just confused as to how bent receiver pins has become an issue when I have years of experience towing light AND heavy, and have NEVER bent one.
I haven’t seen broken hitch pins, but have seen a few pics of the hitch pin hole wallowing out, particularly when using the reducing sleeves. I haven’t had this happen as I have rarely needed to use reducers, but the few times I have I can see how with time it could happen based on how sloppy the reducers made it. Wing that I plan to tow often I imagine the correct size shank makes more sense.

Quick Reply: Hitch 3"