2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Continental Terrain Contact A/T or Continental Terrain Contact H/T

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 08:04 AM
CBANKS
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Continental Terrain Contact A/T or Continental Terrain Contact H/T

I am looking to replace the tires on my 2020 F250 CCLB truck. I currently have Yokohama Geolander AT-X with only 35K miles on them and they have become so loud it is unbearable. They have been rotated every 10 miles and still have good tread left but trying to have a conversation from driver to passenger is tough. Front seat to rear seat conversations are impossible without dang near shouting.

I do about 1K miles per week and 99.8% is on hard pavement. Only on a few occasions,during hunting season, am I offroad and even at that where I hunt the mud and water is not terrible.

I have decided on the Continental tire but cant seem to decide between the A/T and the H/T. Both get fantastic reviews as far as noise is concerned.

My worry is that if I go with the H/T tires and I get in a situation where I need the extra grip of an A/T tire have I shot myself in the foot.

I also like the look of the A/T tire better but that is how I got in the current situation with the Geolanders. The H/T tire reviews gave it higher than average LIMITED offroad capabilities which would be my situation.

Snow and ice are not factored in to the equation as Eastern NC doesn't see that much of either.

I haven't talked to any of the tire stores yet to get their advice and wanted to start here.

If anyone has experience with either or both of these two Continentals then I would love to hear your thoughts.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:15 AM
nominion
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set of the Continental TerrainContact H/T tires on my GMC Yukon. They replaced a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Very comparable in all categories - very quiet, great wet and dry performance, great in moderate snow, and they seem to be wearing well at 10K miles. I’ve never used them off road other than in wet grass on hilly terrain or mildly muddy non-paved roads, but they were fine.

I have no direct experience with the A/T version, but I would expect similar performance. They do look better than the H/T version.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:55 AM
hansenlink
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
I have had the AT's and it is my go to tire and generally has the best ratings amongst competition. Have had zero issues and a wuiet tire as well.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
I would do the AT one. I was on the fence to and wanted a quiet AT tire for 2 of my trucks . I went with Continental sister company General Tire and their APT tire close to the cont. AT. Its been quiet and grips well , a little firmer ride over a Michelin stock tire.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-23-2021, 06:43 AM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the H/T was what I had as a stock tire on my last few F250s. They're smooth and quiet but the traction was not good in anything other than dry pavement. I got rid of them quick because they were pretty terrible in rain and snow. I know you said snow isn't a concern, but even wet pavement traction was very poor with the H/T's.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:26 AM
H4Racing
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugga
If I'm not mistaken, the H/T was what I had as a stock tire on my last few F250s. They're smooth and quiet but the traction was not good in anything other than dry pavement. I got rid of them quick because they were pretty terrible in rain and snow. I know you said snow isn't a concern, but even wet pavement traction was very poor with the H/T's.
OE is Continential Contitracs, and they suck. I have TerrainContact HT's on it now, and almost 10K in, they are a great tire. Quiet, great wet and dry traction, and are wearing very good. I've had them off-road a couple of times (nothing too wild) and was impressed. Deep mud would be a problem, but light offroading was just fine.

I went back and forth between the HT's, the AT's, and Michelin's, but Discount Tire had a decent deal on the HT"s, and I will definitely buy them again.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by H4Racing
OE is Continential Contitracs, and they suck. I have TerrainContact HT's on it now, and almost 10K in, they are a great tire. Quiet, great wet and dry traction, and are wearing very good. I've had them off-road a couple of times (nothing too wild) and was impressed. Deep mud would be a problem, but light offroading was just fine.

I went back and forth between the HT's, the AT's, and Michelin's, but Discount Tire had a decent deal on the HT"s, and I will definitely buy them again.
Gotcha. Disregard my post then and don't get Contitrac's!