7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

Crank shaft seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:50 PM
bowsniper
Mountain Pass
Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
I have the same issue at 25k miles. Not too happy.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:31 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bowsniper
I have the same issue at 25k miles. Not too happy.
A slight inconvenience is all. It's covered by warranty not the end of the world.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-2021, 11:45 AM
JayCarver
Laughing Gas
Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
A slight inconvenience is all. It's covered by warranty not the end of the world.
Yep pretty much. I just got mine fixed last week, it's been leaking since August. Funny part is I've had 6 GM 3500s since 2008 and not one leaked a single drop of oil, first ford leaks in the first 3 months HAHA.

I like this Ford much better thou and has been great otherwise so I'm not upset about it.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:14 PM
Chuck_Finley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front cover replacement

I have a 2021 F350 with a front seal that started leaking. Replaced by dealership. 4 days later it was leaking again. Took it back to dealer. They said the seal walked out of the front cover. The put another new seal in. Test drove it. The seal walked out again! Now they are going to replace the front cover! Needless to say I am not happy!!!! Anyone else getting a new front cover? What a terrible problem this is!

Old 01-24-2022, 03:35 PM
bowsniper
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by scraprat
The dealers in Phoenix are all backed up and want to keep my truck for 3 weeks to replace the seal.

A SLIGHT INCONVENIENCE IS ALL!

Old 01-24-2022, 05:16 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
The dealers in Phoenix are all backed up and want to keep my truck for 3 weeks to replace the seal.

A SLIGHT INCONVENIENCE IS ALL!
Why do they need to keep it? It's not rockets science. They order part, part comes in, they notify you parts in and make appointment for 1st thing in the morning as soon as possible, sit and wait for it or drop it off. I sat for 3 hours and waited, brought the tablet/ earbuds and watched a movie. Yes, slight inconvenience.

I drove the truck the entire time while waiting for part/ appointment.

The following 2 users liked this post by scraprat:
Old 01-24-2022, 07:40 PM
bowsniper
Mountain Pass
The dealers are so backed up with work, you need to leave your truck there to keep it in the cue. I have called three dealers and get the same answer. Seems crazy stupid, but that is what's happening in Phoenix.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:17 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,091 Likes on 993 Posts
Hopefully this does not turn into some kind of a debacle like the old leaking F250 axle was
After 6 or 7 seal redesigns the fix was a new special bearing and a slinger 5 or 8 years later
And the GM's with the leaking rear mains (they started putting foam in there)
So damn glad I do not work as a Ford tech any longer
I think this will be an easy fix for them and the seals are pretty easy for a good tech to replace
You pull the belt off and remove the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) and the seal is right there

Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM
kshoop1958
More Turbo
Received 338 Likes on 200 Posts
I've been watching this thread since Scraprat started it, wondering if it would turn into a chronic problem. So far it doesn't seem like very many people are reporting trouble, at least here on this thread. I'm happy to report I haven't had the issue on my truck, but admittedly I'm only at 5,000 miles. I wonder if there is some way to see how many vehicles have been affected?

From my perspective (46 years building heavy coil processing machinery) I don't get too excited though. If Ford (or any company) sold the same product for 25 years it would probably be almost (but not quite) bulletproof. But we consumers don't want 25 year old technology, do we? We want more power, better mileage, cooler technology, and while you're at it, please make it unbreakable. So engineers are given the task of creating bigger, better, cooler and unbreakable; but they also have one hand tied behind their backs. Why? Because the product also has be affordable and profitable. I used to joke that my company could build a perfect slitting line, if money wasn't an issue. Unfortunately I never sold one to the US government, my customers were all stingy!

Run tests all you want, new products are going to have new problems no matter who built it. The real test, in my humble opinion, is what the OEM does about it when those inevitable problems appear. Do they admit their mistake and make it right? Or do they get squirrely and look at their shoes? Problems don't make me run, but a squirrely response sure does. It seems to me that Ford is trying to make this problem right, but they are also having supply chain and labor issues like everyone else. In that case, Ford depends on their dealers to provide honest, up front information. I agree, if a dealer told me to drop my truck off for three weeks or I'd lose my place in line, I would not be happy. I would (as politely as I could muster) tell him that's a terrible way of doing business and likely the last he would ever see from me.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM
Cragtor
Trailering
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Allllllll right I was holding off on this until it happened to me. 30k Miles sure enough front main seal. Eta 3 weeks to get fixed, same story in Reno NV that there is in Phoenix looks like. Honestly. Not mad. Not even upset really. Its a first year made in Dec2019 it was bound to happen and if this is the worst there is. it is what it is. Anyways I'm only doing this so more people know what to expect if/when it happens. Now all this said the truck is still drivable. In my case it was 1-5 drips a day. so I mean I used to have a 1991 dodge and if it wasn't leaking I was worried.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:33 PM
JayCarver
Laughing Gas
The dealers are so backed up with work, you need to leave your truck there to keep it in the cue. I have called three dealers and get the same answer. Seems crazy stupid, but that is what's happening in Phoenix.
I really feel for guys that have to put up with dealers like this, no wonder dealers get a bad name.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayCarver:
Old 01-27-2022, 04:45 PM
Cragtor
Trailering
True, but I mean in my case 8 tech called in sick last 2-3 weeks, then have to quarantine for two weeks. Dealers I don't think want to be this far behind. its just life right now. I work retail and we are having the same problem.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:48 PM
JayCarver
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Cragtor
True, but I mean in my case 8 tech called in sick last 2-3 weeks, then have to quarantine for two weeks. Dealers I don't think want to be this far behind. its just life right now. I work retail and we are having the same problem.
That is all true but I was refering to the dealers that want you to leave it with them for weeks rather than make a appointment for a 3hr fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayCarver:
Old 01-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Cragtor
Trailering
Originally Posted by JayCarver
That is all true but I was refering to the dealers that want you to leave it with them for weeks rather than make a appointment for a 3hr fix.

Yep same here, they said leave it or lose your spot. we get to it when we get to it. I was like......Dang welp I'm stuck. Wife and I stuck sharing a car till its done I guess.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:15 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JayCarver
I really feel for guys that have to put up with dealers like this, no wonder dealers get a bad name.
When I was originally trying to order my '21' truck last year after I got to Phoenix area with the 5th wheel for the winter, 2 different dealers and both just played games. I dare say Phoenix dealers just sux.

Quick Reply: Crank shaft seal leak