2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 5.4 whats that sound (video here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:30 PM
Geoff240ti
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 5.4 whats that sound (video here)

Warmed up for 5 minutes this 2007 expedition knocks as heard here:
https://youtu.be/lj7ez_r_hRg

225,000 miles on it. Doesn't seem to do it when it revs. A family friend was told it needs a new engine, but it really doesn't seem that bad. Silent upon cold starts.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:58 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No expert here but it sounds like the valve train parts. The clatter sounds like excessive valve lash and the knock sounds like the cam phasers.
I would check the oil pressure at idle while all this noise is going on. If oil pressure is too low your valve train parts will not last long.

Does it idle smooth? Does the noise come from the passenger side of the engine or is it both sides.

Even if the noise goes away at higher rpms this is a serious problem.
Check out Makuloco on youtube. He has good videos diagnosing and repairing this kind of noise in the Ford 5.4 3 valve engine.
Good luck,
Richard

Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 PM
Geoff240ti
Freshman User
Thank you Richard!!

I've watched many Makuloco videos in the past, but nothing recently. I had wondered if this was typical cam phaser noises or more serious. We were basically given this 07 expedition max for free, and for the mileage it's in fantastic shape.

But now I'm trying to determine if it's worth fixing or just letting go. I will start with getting it up to operating temp and check oil pressure, appreciate the suggestion. I know Makuloco recommends only ford reman engines now. I doubt it's worth a motor, but if I can do some top end work and get some miles that is worth it. Ive read countless things on a whole motor is smarter than top end work.

To be continued!

Originally Posted by gwcloud
No expert here but it sounds like the valve train parts. The clatter sounds like excessive valve lash and the knock sounds like the cam phasers.
I would check the oil pressure at idle while all this noise is going on. If oil pressure is too low your valve train parts will not last long.

Does it idle smooth? Does the noise come from the passenger side of the engine or is it both sides.

Even if the noise goes away at higher rpms this is a serious problem.
Check out Makuloco on youtube. He has good videos diagnosing and repairing this kind of noise in the Ford 5.4 3 valve engine.
Good luck,
Richard

Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
If you get a compression check along with checking the oil pressure that would tell you more about the engine.

Makuloco has a video where he explains that too low oil pressure starves the passenger side cam bearings. If my memory serves me he says that the oil pressure should be over 10 - 15 lbs at hot idle.
He also has a complete timing chain and related parts replacemant job video (a 2 part video). Very worth watching before you decide.

I recently watched a Makuloco video where he dissassembled a rebuilt Jasper engine that had 100,000 mles on it. There was evidence of lots of short cuts that were taken during the rebuild. I agree that a Ford built engine is a better choice.

If the problem does need the timing chain system replacement you still could wind up with a pretty good Expedition for the money being as your initial cost was low.

Oh, and do you know that the instrument panel oil pressure gauge does not indicate the actual pressure? You will need to temporarily install a real pressure gauge.

Richard

Old 07-23-2021, 07:00 PM
Geoff240ti
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gwcloud
If you get a compression check along with checking the oil pressure that would tell you more about the engine.

Makuloco has a video where he explains that too low oil pressure starves the passenger side cam bearings. If my memory serves me he says that the oil pressure should be over 10 - 15 lbs at hot idle.
He also has a complete timing chain and related parts replacemant job video (a 2 part video). Very worth watching before you decide.

I recently watched a Makuloco video where he dissassembled a rebuilt Jasper engine that had 100,000 mles on it. There was evidence of lots of short cuts that were taken during the rebuild. I agree that a Ford built engine is a better choice.

If the problem does need the timing chain system replacement you still could wind up with a pretty good Expedition for the money being as your initial cost was low.

Oh, and do you know that the instrument panel oil pressure gauge does not indicate the actual pressure? You will need to temporarily install a real pressure gauge.

Richard
Very good to know about oil pressure guage..just yesterday we warmed it right up and went on a good drive. This time the engine was silent after the drive? Oil pressure was closer on the high side of the guage and I thought that was a great sign until now! It was spewing coolant from the inlet heater hose T yesterday post drive so I had to shut it down until I get that part in.

The expedition was almost free. So I'm willing to do some work, last project I swapped a frame and cab on a 2014 silverado so a timing job can't be that bad especially with Makuloco guidance! I did watch that Jasper engine teardown.. would never go that route after seeing that!

Next is getting a proper guage on there. I take it a OBDII reading isn't accurate either?

Old 07-24-2021, 11:59 AM
gwcloud
Tuned
I don't know if an OBDll reading is accurate. I don't know how it gets its signal.
The instrument panel 'gauge' is a switch and only indicates whether there is a minimum amount of oil pressure or not. That's why the gauge never moves when you raise the rpm. The voltage gauge is the same type of 'indcator'.

I installed an electric oil pressure gauge on my Navigator. I installed the pressure sensor at the oil filter housing. That's where the instrument panel gauge gets its go-no go signal.
I wanted to keep track of my oil pressure at idle. On this engine the timing chain tensioners have a gasket that fails and will cause low idle oil pressure.

There are upgraded tensioners and gaskets. The upgraded tensioners have a ratchet feature.

Your last drive sounds like good news as far as the engine goes. With accurate analysis and repairs you may be able to get a lot more miles out of the Expedition.
Richard

Old 07-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Newnavowner
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a timing job with new roller followers, lash adjusters and melling high volume oil pump and get another 150k out of that engine.