North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

July Aug Sep BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:26 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning fellas... been awhile since I've checked in. Been stupid busy with work. Did get a last minute chance to haul *** to TN for a couple days weekend before last, so we took "The big b****" as I've named it and made the trip. The truck was almost as big as the tiny home we stayed in!

Old 08-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Just outta curiosity. Any NC fte'rs anygood with a chainsaw and climbing that might be willing to come help drop some trees. They kinda need to come down in sections. Taken out all the ones i can myself. But got some bigger ones that are to close things i need to avoid and unpredictable for me to try and drop em.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:01 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
Just outta curiosity. Any NC fte'rs anygood with a chainsaw and climbing that might be willing to come help drop some trees. They kinda need to come down in sections. Taken out all the ones i can myself. But got some bigger ones that are to close things i need to avoid and unpredictable for me to try and drop em.
I am definitely NOT the tree climbing type. Hell I am not even a ladder climbing type

Old 09-27-2021, 06:48 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,182 Likes on 1,854 Posts
My pickup came through in a clutch.
At 2am I went to turn on the head lights of the DD for work and only running lights came on got high beams no low beams.
Needing to get to work by 3am the pickup was put into service and preformed great.
I picked up new bulbs but when I got home from work at 3pm I was not up to fussing with it.
Here's hoping it's just the 2 bulbs and nothing more as I am not up to messing with it at this time.
Dave ----

Old 09-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Dave I hope it's the 2 bulbs, or maybe the low beam relay which would also be an easy fix. I had some electrical problems as well, I drove my Mustang to a car show in Wilson on Saturday. About 45 miles each way. Leaving the show I thought the engine turned over kinda slow, but it still fired right up. I thought maybe I had left a door slightly open and the interior light had been on for hours so I didn't pay it any mind. Then I stopped for gas in Kenly, which was about 15 miles of driving. Again, after filling up, the engine was still cranking slow. So when I got home I checked battery voltage and it was 11.7 - not fully charged! I started the engine and checked voltage, it was only 11.75. So the charging system was not doing it's job. I went and got a new voltage regulator, and when I went to wire it up I realized it had been wired wrong all this time - at least 20 years. I didn't have any of the leads connected to ground so there is no way it was ever doing it's job in the first place (at least I don't think so?). I figured the alternator as well, this was the one in the car when I bought it back in 1992, so it was probably replaced some time in the 80's. Or even possibly the original from 1966 although I can't imagine that would still be working 55 years later. I went to Autozone and got a new one, reman unit. They had it in stock, they give you a 65 amp replacement now. I think the original one would have been 38 amps. But since the design is the same from 1965 up through the early 80's it seems easier that they just stock one to replace them instead of multiple different amp ratings. ANYWAY. When I took the old one out, I realized I had wired it up wrong as well. There was nothing connected to "stator", I had that one connected to ground. If I understand this correctly, it means that for 20+ years the car has been running on the just the BAT lead from the alternator with no help from a voltage regulator or the stator side. So now I just finished, new alternator new voltage regulator, new belt. I also ordered a new connector from O'Reilly's so now I will never have to worry about which lead goes where, the connector will keep that in order. On idle I have 12.3 volts and if you rev it a little it goes to 14.1

The ground or F wire should go to the bottom lead, but instead I had it going to the firewall. The white wire should be for stator, but I had to F on the voltage regulator and F on the alternator. Essentially killing one side of the alternator output!

Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Wife had a medical thing that needed my help so I took the day off from work.
After we got home and settled in I got on the Durango's lights.
I tested them again before replacing them and they both worked?
I replaced them anyway as you have to pull the whole light assy. to change the bulbs.
Being they were out I also sanded the lenses with 600 & 2000 grit wet paper and then polished to get rid of the yellow, normal with plastic lens.
Topped up the fluids and should be good for another 260+K miles

John
Good thing you only did local show if it was not charging
Good to hear you got it charging now, is the water level good in the battery?
Dont want you to cook it now that it is charging.

On my pick up the stator from the ALT goes to the choke to help heat it up and pull off.
Other wise it is not hooked to anything.
Now it could be wired like you did on the the Mustang, and if it is charging I would leave it.
Now we can go to farther shows and not need a 2nd battery

When you were on a roll with re-wiring the charging system you should have looked into the rear lights not working right
Dave ----

Old 09-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
I think the rear lights issue has something to do with the blinker wiring in the column :/
The alternator was charging, but less than 12. If it was not charging at all no way I could have made it there and back and still have 11.7 left. But you are right that it was working, maybe I am opening up a can of worms by fixing everything! I know what I did many years ago, the wire was white so I put it on the alternator connector that had a white insulating ring. But from looking at multiple diagrams, that one is FLD and this is basically ground - the black wire goes there!
Now I want to come by your house and let you smell something. Maybe tomorrow early afternoon when you get home from work.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:29 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Where did all the north caroliners go. Its october and no new thread yet??? Thought when i wasnt seeing any new posts thats where yall went. But yall must be hiding.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Work has got me working 1 weekend day and if not working hitting the car shows that are now opening up.
It also helps not being so hot now to enjoy the shows.
Dave ----

Old 10-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Work has got me working 1 weekend day and if not working hitting the car shows that are now opening up.
It also helps not being so hot now to enjoy the shows.
Dave ----
im pretty much beat personally. Even my days off im not really off because i bought a house in july. Been working on it slowly mainly because i only have my days off to work on it.

btw. Anyone got a nice running dependable car/suv theyre not using that youd be willing to part with for less than 1000. Fiance' going to be moving in with me and trying to get her something reliable to learn to drive in. But dont wanna break the bank for a learning car. Can get her something newer later after shes got some exp under her belt. Not in a hurry to get it. Shes moving in with me sometime in december. Was thinking valentines day thing since im getting her something else thats expensive for christmas.