2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Caster

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 04:18 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts
Caster

I don’t like these results

2021 truck with a 2” BDS level (lower spacer)

Used the 2.5° caster shims that came with the bds kit

was hoping for caster of 4° give or take when I got it back

they said it’s all they could do….so with a 2” level and 2.5° shims does that sound like BS?

what has to be done to get a little more caster?

pic for reference/entertainment

Old 07-07-2021, 05:09 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,181 Posts
Isn't there a caster adjustment bushing at the upper ball joint? Seems like I recall one when I did the ball joints on my 2012. I can see how most alignment shops would be reluctant to access that adjustment and feed you a line of bs.

I wouldn't think you would lose all the factory caster with a 2" bump, are you sure they installed the shims?

Old 07-07-2021, 05:23 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
Isn't there a caster adjustment bushing at the upper ball joint? Seems like I recall one when I did the ball joints on my 2012. I can see how most alignment shops would be reluctant to access that adjustment and feed you a line of bs.

I wouldn't think you would lose all the factory caster with a 2" bump, are you sure they installed the shims?
I installed the level myself and put in the shims.

removed cotter pin/castle nut….got the factory shims out and put in some 2.5° shims that came with the bds kit.

im pissed because of what I’ve ready about having the right caster on these super duties. So not happy I’m that low at the moment.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
In fact when you look at the numbers I wonder what they did at all. Nothing really changed?

Old 07-07-2021, 05:58 PM
WldDwg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same results on my 2017 and Carli 2.5 castor bushings. Although I was closer to 2.9 degrees. Call Dave at One Up Off road and get there 2.5" drop arm brackets. I'm now at 5.8 L and 6.0R with 0 degree bushing. Rides and drives much better.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:07 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WldDwg
I had the same results on my 2017 and Carli 2.5 castor bushings. Although I was closer to 2.9 degrees. Call Dave at One Up Off road and get there 2.5" drop arm brackets. I'm now at 5.8 L and 6.0R with 0 degree bushing. Rides and drives much better.
how low does that make them hang? Pics?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:08 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
In fact when you look at the numbers I wonder what they did at all. Nothing really changed?
Looks like all they did was even out your toe settings, which is nice but... The caster didn't change. They clearly made no attempt to alter the setting. You know the amount of work it is to get to the caster bushing, pretty sure you have to remove the wheels to do it. They just did a basic "set the toe" alignment which is typically the only adjustment ever made on these trucks, that and the drag link to center the steering wheel. These are easily done on the rack, wheels on. The tech may not even know how to do the caster on a Dana axle...

Good Luck

Old 07-07-2021, 06:12 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like all they did was even out your toe settings, which is nice but... The caster didn't change. They clearly made no attempt to alter the setting. You know the amount of work it is to get to the caster bushing, pretty sure you have to remove the wheels to do it. They just did a basic "set the toe" alignment which is typically the only adjustment ever made on these trucks, that and the drag link to center the steering wheel. These are easily done on the rack, wheels on. The tech may not even know how to do the caster on a Dana axle...

Good Luck
before I start adding drop brackets and other fixes I want a proper adjustment of the caster how my truck sits to see if I can get to an acceptable number.

the truck doesn’t drive horribly (unloaded) on my trip home but who knows loaded how it’ll do down the line with more front end wear and tear.

I feel like more caster is in order so hopefully a tech that knows what he’s doing can get me a little better….

antone know of any food places to take thing thing for a proper alignment around Md/Dc/Va?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
before I start adding drop brackets and other fixes I want a proper adjustment of the caster how my truck sits to see if I can get to an acceptable number.

the truck doesn’t drive horribly (unloaded) on my trip home but who knows loaded how it’ll do down the line with more front end wear and tear.

I feel like more caster is in order so hopefully a tech that knows what he’s doing can get me a little better….

antone know of any food places to take thing thing for a proper alignment around Md/Dc/Va?
The drop brackets should get you to the appropriate amount of caster. I’d order the UOU brackets and remove the bushings and see where that gets you.

I’m doing research on the same topic right now because I want to level my new 2021. I’m looking at the ReadyLift 2.5” level with the track bar relocation bracket. One thing is it seems like most of the levels (regardless of brand) don’t address caster. I personally was close to being sold on the bushings until I came across the drop brackets. From the research I’ve done, it seems like the UOU drop brackets not only correct for the level but also add what should have come from the factory.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:08 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Properly adjusted caster bushings should fix the problem without drop brackets that probably reduce clearance under the arms.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Properly adjusted caster bushings should fix the problem without drop brackets that probably reduce clearance under the arms.
that’s my concern (the reduced clearance from how low they’ll hang)

so if I can get closer to 4° I’d probably go without brackets.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:23 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,113 Likes on 1,591 Posts
Are you sure you installed the caster shims facing the right direction?

Old 07-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
i can certainly check

they had an arrow on them indicating which direction to face them but mistakes do happen 😬

I’ll check and report back

Old 07-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L

bottom of pic = front of truck FYI

Old 07-07-2021, 07:47 PM
WldDwg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how low does that make them hang? Pics?

They do drop the rear of the bracket but not as low as the axle attachment. So I really don’t think you loose clearance. You will hit your axle before the drop bracket becomes a problem. Supper easy to install. And takes the bow out of your springs.

Quick Reply: Caster