General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Remove name from credit cards

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
hawaiian_baby
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remove name from credit cards

it's funny how credit companies will not let you remove your name from an account if you're an authorized user.. my ex-husband put my name on all his credit accounts as an authorized user without my knowing (because you need no signature of the authorized user).. i never once used any of the cards and he has ran up the accounts.. now that i am trying to get a divorce i find out i am an authorized user on 5 accounts of his and he will not take my name off.. i tried calling the companies to remove my name with no luck.. this really pisses me off.. how can they let anyone put your name on an account without a signature.. that's just like saying i have the right to open credit card accounts and put your name (those reading, if i did have your info) on my account.. is there other alternatives to this.. how can i get my name off cause he's ruining my credit!!

Old 10-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Talk to your Lawyer.

Old 10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Re: Remove name from credit cards

I am NOT a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV.

~But~

I have very serious doubts that this is effecting YOUR credit.

I know for a fact that *the primary account holder* is the one ultimately responsible for the debt . . . in the state of Florida any way.

FWIW.

Old 10-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Remove name from credit cards

Originally posted by hawaiian_baby
it's funny how credit companies will not let you remove your name from an account if you're an authorized user.. my ex-husband put my name on all his credit accounts as an authorized user without my knowing (because you need no signature of the authorized user).. i never once used any of the cards and he has ran up the accounts.. now that i am trying to get a divorce i find out i am an authorized user on 5 accounts of his and he will not take my name off.. i tried calling the companies to remove my name with no luck.. this really pisses me off.. how can they let anyone put your name on an account without a signature.. that's just like saying i have the right to open credit card accounts and put your name (those reading, if i did have your info) on my account.. is there other alternatives to this.. how can i get my name off cause he's ruining my credit!!

States marital /property laws vary am sure , but in my state, until you have the divorce / seperation decree signed and in your hand, you are married and are still "one" and still liable financially. Get your lawyer, the decree, get to the bank card holders office, and tell them your situation asap. And get paperwork , got to have a big paper trail for these things, good luck

Last edited by Greg 79 f150; 10-30-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:47 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Oh Man, I neglected the "divorce" part.

Freaudulian slip - I assure you.

Get your name off ASAP !!

Old 10-30-2003, 07:00 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that if they don't have your signature, then you're in the clear.

If he just signed you up, then I don't see how you're responsible.

Like Eric said, though - talk to your lawyer.

XXL

Old 10-30-2003, 07:09 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Matt,

in the state of confusion, . . er, Florida, I am reasonably sure the date of filing is used by "the court" to assess TOTAL DEBT LOAD. Which is divided among the divorcees at a ratio to be determined by the judge *if* the couple does not reach an agreement regarding the division on their own.

. . but again, I am not closer to being a lawyer than you can get by telling degogatory jokes about them.

It may however be worth mentioning that I have felt the sting of the whip three times now in divorce court. So while I may not be a lawyer, I sure know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of one.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:13 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Here in Colorado you are responsible for the debt if your income was used in acquiring the card. I found this out after my divorce and Discover was after my ex for non payment. They would call and ask for her, then ask for current info such as phone number etc. I asked them at that time about the account and my responsibility for this debt since she got the card while we were married. I was told I had NO responsibility for this one as she had qualified for it using only her income, not mine. She is still in default of this debt and it has never shown up on my credit nor have I been contacted regarding my paying it off.

Now, as for joint debt, here in Colorado, once you file, for either a legal separation or divorce, the division of responsibilty for that debt is established at that time. This protects each spouse fom one of them going postal with a credit card and then nailing the other with the debt.

Now for the final advice, see your lawyer. (S)He is the only expert that can answer these questions with reasonable certainty! Never rely upon non legalezer's (like me) for the definative answer!

Old 10-31-2003, 11:07 AM
hawaiian_baby
Freshman User
thanks for all the advice about talking to my lawyer, but i cannot afford one... and the legal aid here in hawaii sucks.. they always give me the run around.. i'd like to get the divorce as quick as possible.. i am not asking for anything from him (house, car, 401k, etc) and am willing to pay for half the bills -credit cards (even if i had no use).. but he refuses to give the divorce because the state wants him to pay a mere $150 child support (which he can afford - he's a certified mechanic) for his 4yo son..

we have jus one joint loan together which i did sign for, but the rest he jus added me as an authorized user with none of my income being used for credit.. the credit card companies say that because my name is on the account as an athorized user i am responsible for the debt.. and it does show on my credit report and has affected my credit because he never pays on time or overcharges..

this really sucks for us (men and women) who have spouses or ex-spouses who "abuse" our names!!

Old 10-31-2003, 12:58 PM
TommyLee
Senior User
My girlfriend had the same problem on an account that her mom had placed her as an Authorized user. It does affect her credit and they had to cancel the account altogether in order to remove her name. Credit card companies are not quick to help consumers in this situation. They are evil blood sucking companies and want to hook as many money making users as possible whether it is ethical or not. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Well, what you should do if he won't take your name off of his cards is to call the credit card companies back and tell them that you lost your card, could they please send you a new one and go to town with them. Just Kidding of course!!

I'd write to all of these credit card companies explaining that these are not your credit cards, you do not have any of these cards in your possession, have never charged on them, and until recently, did not even know that your name was on them. Send the letters "Return Receipt Requested" and be sure to keep a copy of the letters for your records.

So, why aren't you going after half of the assets?

Old 10-31-2003, 01:21 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
in texas...if you are an authorized user it doesn't mean you are responsible for the debt....you just can use the card for purchases. If they don't have your social security # then they CANNOT affect your credit...because only thru that can they report it on your credit bureau. If you are only an authorized user then contact your local credit bureau and dispute the stuff on your report that isn't yours. Being an authorized user should have no affect on your credit and should not make your financially liable for the debt.

also just as an FYI: when I worked in collections and dealt with bankruptcies and divorces and all, I found out many people think a divorce decree overrides a prior contract. In the state of Texas, at least, it does not. If you sign a financial contract (whether it is a credit card, installment loan, or whatever) your are legally and financially responsible for that regardless of what the divorce decree may say. If your spouse is given the debt in the decree and chooses not to pay, it can and will ruin your credit as well. You can and in the case of our institution will be sued just as he will because you both are responsible regardless of your marital relationship. Many are unaware of this and think that because a judge signed a divorce decree that everything changes. In most cases, the contract you signed for the debt preceeds the decree.

Old 10-31-2003, 06:44 PM
hawaiian_baby
Freshman User
carlene

i'll try and write to the credit card companies.. it may or may not help.. and i do not want half of the assests cause i want nothing from him.. just want the divorce.. 3 yrs of physical, mental, and emotional abuse was enough from him.. jus don't want anything but the divorce.. but because i was abused (have documents of this and witnesses) the judge may disregard anything we have agreed to on the decree and make him give me half of the assets and so forth.. either way, i'm in a win, win situation.. well if i can get him to sign the papers of course.. but i have no source of funds to hire a lawyer for myself, and still be able to support my son and I.. jus want the divorce!!

fisher

i'll also try calling the credit bureau here in HI.. and i know that here in HI even if he was to take responsibility for paying the debt, i would still be liable.. that's why i told him that if he wants to take the debt (which is only about $3000 from the time of seperation) he needs to remove my name from all accounts and submit a written statement from each institution before i sign the divorce decree.. so if he ends up putting my name back on the accounts i can go after him for credit card/identity fraud (already spoke with credit companies and credit bureaus.. because we are legally separated, he cannot put my name on any other accounts he opens, and/or if he removes my name he cannot put my name back on w/out having my consent..

Old 10-31-2003, 06:58 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User
Take one of his credit cards and find a lawyer that will accept it for payment. Charge the fees to him and get rid of the sorry guy all in one move.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:39 PM
hawaiian_baby
Freshman User

i would love to do that and would have probably done that already, but i had no access to the credit cards.. even the one with my name on it he took and never gave them to me.. one day yet he'll get what he deserves..

Quick Reply: Remove name from credit cards