Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.9 performance build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4.9 performance build

I have a 1989 F150 4.9 5 speed truck. I am picking up a newer year model 4.9. I am wanting to rebuild it for a little more power and i may turbo it also depending on how comfortable I feel with the MegaSquirt. Does anyone have experience with either NA or turbo builds? I am looking to find out what parts will work for the applications i am looking at. Any information is welcomed. Thank you much!

Old 06-27-2021, 01:24 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,228 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Far more info at Fordsix.com

Been a member here forever, but that is all those guys do on that site. EFI engine is essentially max in stock form.

Too bad the OE EEC-IV is not able to be tuned on them.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:23 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Hit Man X

Been a member here forever, but that is all those guys do on that site. EFI engine is essentially max in stock form.

I will be using a stand alone MegaSquirt for the tuning. Thank you for the info on the link.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:26 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
I mean for more basic builds, be nice if the Bin file for the 4.9 was available to tune. Odd to me why not.

Be great for ported head, mild cam, header guys versus jumping to standalone. Are you going to use that MS PNP I have seen before that fits the 60 pin EEC-IV plug?

Old 06-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
I mean for more basic builds, be nice if the Bin file for the 4.9 was available to tune. Odd to me why not.

Be great for ported head, mild cam, header guys versus jumping to standalone. Are you going to use that MS PNP I have seen before that fits the 60 pin EEC-IV plug?
Not sure what the MS PNP is yet. I have contacted a distributor for MS and he has advised me on the parts needed. I am just starting to look into all the things needed for MS.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,019 Likes on 800 Posts
A 5.0 SD pcm could be substituted on a mild build, it's the same displacement but is tuned around 19lb injectors which are enough to support about 205hp on a six, and SD is batch fired so it doesn't care if there are 6 or 8 injectors. One of the members here has tuned some of these SD pcm's with a Moates or Quarterhorse as well.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Conanski
A 5.0 SD pcm could be substituted on a mild build, it's the same displacement but is tuned around 19lb injectors which are enough to support about 205hp on a six, and SD is batch fired so it doesn't care if there are 6 or 8 injectors. One of the members here has tuned some of these SD pcm's with a Moates or Quarterhorse as well.
What is SD? Anyone know what lbs injector would support a turbo safely? Is Moates and Quarterhorse tuning products? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 1,019 Likes on 800 Posts
SD stands for Speed Density, the EFI programming is based around engine manifold vacuum/vs RPM.
Injector sizing is based on the engines expected HP output so you need to have some idea of how much power it will make.
Yes the Moates Quarterhorse is a tuning module that plugs into the factory PCMs, there is another called the Tweecer as well. These interface with software on a laptop that allows full tuning of all engine parameters. This system is very capable but it is also very technical so it can be difficult for a non technical person to navigate.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:42 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Conanski

That was the idea that popped into my head too as batch fired and slightly bigger injectors. That is why I was curious if could not use that damned thing. No issues with the TFI dizzy?

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...d-mustang-5-0/ that is the PNP box I spoke of before.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:59 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
That was the idea that popped into my head too as batch fired and slightly bigger injectors. That is why I was curious if could not use that damned thing. No issues with the TFI dizzy?

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...d-mustang-5-0/ that is the PNP box I spoke of before.
This is the site I went through to get the MegaSquirt they recommended. They have a system that will come with everything I need to do this. It seems pretty strait forward and there are lots of places for information. The nice thing is having a donor motor selected and I am building an engine test stand. I am in no rush with it. Still not sure if I am boosting it for sure.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:46 PM
wwhite
Cargo Master
Received 365 Likes on 297 Posts
It is, lots of work getting A1C tuned for the six guys.
Check here: A1C - 80/90s EFI-SD4x Speed Density - EFIDynoTuning Forum
Need Quarter Horse, of course.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-27-2021, 08:48 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Keep us posted, the head is the obvious limiting factor on the 4.9.

Per the usual, we love photos.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wwhite
It is, lots of work getting A1C tuned for the six guys.
Check here: A1C - 80/90s EFI-SD4x Speed Density - EFIDynoTuning Forum
Need Quarter Horse, of course.

Double post apologies.

Awesome news! I am not trying to get 100hp more from my 4.9 I figure header, ported head, higher lift cam, and that is about it. Just a more efficient engine with a bit more ***.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:12 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Keep us posted, the head is the obvious limiting factor on the 4.9.

Per the usual, we love photos.
Photos will be a ways out. I pick up the motor during a family trip at the end of July. Then I have to tear it down and get it machined. I want to either port my head or get a performance one if i can find it.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:21 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Double post apologies.

Awesome news! I am not trying to get 100hp more from my 4.9 I figure header, ported head, higher lift cam, and that is about it. Just a more efficient engine with a bit more ***.
Pretty much what i want. If it gets a turbo I won't boost it to the moon.

Quick Reply: 4.9 performance build