1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expy experience/recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 07:54 PM
perezhr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expy experience/recommendation

Found this website today and its awsome. I currently do not own an Expy (have another ford truck, however). I need a big SUV and I like the Expy a lot. I can get x-plan pricing which makes it more affordable than others like the Sequoia, etc. I want to know how you like your Expys, particularly the late model (03 and 04). Would you buy another one? any maintenance issues/problems? I'm looking at the 2x2 5.4L Eddy Bower. Any options you consider a must? I would really appreciate you input. Thank you kindly for your response.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:37 PM
TB61
Junior User
Expy Experience

Depends on who you ask: you either love it, hate it, or have a love-hate relationship with it. Please read all posts, both positive and negative from this website. Check www.flatratetech.com; and Edmunds.com under Ford, Expedition, ownership experience. Especially the A/C and vibration problems that seem more prevalent and problematic than anything else. The time and frustration you will spend to rectify these issues with the dealer or dealers will surely dampen any enthusiasm you had about the reasons you bought in the first place. There is just not enough room here to give you all the info you need to make a wise consumer choice. After you drive off into the sunset, you shouldn't want to see that dealership again until your next scheduled maintenance - not the very next day or week sitting in the service lounge. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:56 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
How do you intend to use the vehicle?

Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 PM
perezhr
New User
Originally posted by PaulC
How do you intend to use the vehicle?
Very little towing. It will be my wife's vehicle to carry all the kids around. No off road stuff. I live in Florida so no snow or 4WD needed.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:07 PM
southprk
Senior User
I must say I love my expy. I can't give you many details about the 03 and 04, but I can tell you that most of the posts you'll find here are about problems with their expy, due to the nature of the forum. Most people don't spend the time to post the good things about their truck, just the bad.

Otherwise, I'd look into the cost of the 4 wheel LLS, while you may not need 4wd the LLS is worth it in my opinion, makes it ride so nice.

Personally I like the 97-02 body style, and most seem to have less problems, but there's nothing like a new vehicle. From reading the posts on here, I'd say definately drive the expy for 30 minutes, using AC, at all speeds, cornering while accellerating, etc, etc.

I'd also recommend getting the towing package, even if you're not going to tow. It includes a transmission cooler which WILL make a long term difference. It seems like most of the people drive the car for 5 minutes and buy it, but most of their problems could have been noticed on the initial test drive if they drove it longer.

Some people like the sequoia, I personally don't like the "spoiler?" on the back, the design just looks UFO to me. Most would say the motor in the expy is a little under-powered, even the 5.4 even though it has the most towing capacity. I would say it was underpowered even if it went 0-60 in 5.0 so I'm not a good judge.

The only option I REALLY wish I had was a sunroof, next would be heated seats (which wouldn't do anything in florida).

Old 10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
I agree about the towing package. An additional bonus is that the hitch bolts onto the rear of the frame, reinforcing same. Another suggestion is the limited-slip differential for extra traction potential, particularly if your towing includes launching a boat. Option cost is about $750 combined.

Old 10-30-2003, 09:17 AM
southprk
Senior User
Another advantage of the 4wd is in those rain storms. I don't like to stereotype but I'd say it's fair to say men know more about cars than women, on average. I don't know much about your wife, but I had this experience in the rain:

I had turned A4wd on (it's on full time I think on the '99-'04) and forgot I turned it off. I went around a rainy corner, and was just playing around so I stepped on the gas - what a fish tail! I'd say I'm an above average driver on handling out of control vehicles, so I was fine, but this motor really has a LOT of low end torque that's easy to overuse, especially on hard pavement in the rain.

Everytime I've been to Florida for more than 5 days it's rained one of them. Not to say I'm an expert on climate, but with X-Plan it may be worth it long term. I understand Advance-Trac is supposed to help with this, I don't know much about that though.

In addition to all of that, life changes, and people are forced to move so you may need it in the future! Also you'll probably add more to the resale value (or reduce less) than you initially pay for the 4wd.

Let us know what ya get!!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 12:02 PM
fishrising
Junior User
I have nothing to say but good things about my Expy...(except for a vibration at 75mph, which occured after my first tire rotation).

1. Don't let the dealer know you have xplan pricing, until you have the one picked out you plan on buying. You can get the actual xplan pricing of any vehicle in stock at any Ford dealer off the web after you get registered, including VINs. Try to haggle lower than what you know the xplan price to be.

Why? In New England, it seems that non-xplan people were getting 03 Expys this summer for xplan pricing or better. So, you may get a better price than xplan if you haggle enough.

2. Power fold rear seats...I love mine!

3. You can get heated/cooled front leather seats if you buy an Eddie Bauer.

4. Next time I would buy the DVD system. No kids yet, but it still would be fun. Plus, I intend to have this suv when the kids do come along.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
nickalbu
Senior User
I love my 03, I have all the probles the others have, but I think you will get that with any new vihicle.

I had an 2000 4x4 which did not have a 2wd switch. It was always in awd.

When I got my 03 which does have a 2xd mode I could not beleive how wild it was in the rain.

I recommend the 4wd just for the stability in the rain especially for a girl!

Old 10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
perezhr
New User
I appreciate all of your inputs. You certainly pointed out a few things I had not considered. Regarding the problems I should look for during the initial test drive, other than the vibration problem I've been reading about, Is there anything else? I test drove an 04 Expy a couple of weeks ago and noticed lots of steering vibration/shaking during braking. Obviously this truck had either a bad brake pad or rotor. Anything else that that is a "known" common problem on new Expys?

Last edited by perezhr; 10-30-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
southprk
Senior User
I agree with nick.. Unless you plan to coast around every corner get 4wd, I would imagine it will save you atleast a couple insurance deductibles!

Old 10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
I had an 2000 4x4 which did not have a 2wd switch. It was always in awd.
Are you sure your 2000 didn't have A4WD? I wasn't aware that the 2000 Expy's had AWD.

Old 10-31-2003, 08:18 AM
nickalbu
Senior User
I thought A4WD and AWD were the same. I could guess that one has all 4 weels engaged all the time and the other works like a limited slip, applying power to the wheel that's not spinning when needed.

Anyway - my point was that it did not have 2WD.

Old 10-31-2003, 01:56 PM
mm7759
Junior User
My $.02. I had a 2000 EB. Had no problems with it, and really liked it a lot. Even up until we signed the papers on the 03, I was unsure about the looks of the 2000 vs 03. I liked the fact the 2000 was unique, whereas the 03 is an overgrown Explorer. The ride and handling of the 03 is night and day different. Much more car like. The big selling point for me was the fold flat rear seats. I started having back problems, and was worried I'd have problems removing the rear seat from my 2000 every time we went camping. I have been pretty lucky with the 03 so far. I have a few rattles, but I haven't had any of the other problems others are experiencing. If I do....I haven't noticed!

Old 10-31-2003, 02:34 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
If you going to buy one, go for a 04, hopefully they have most of the bugs worked out.

If you buy a Ford bug shield, it alters the air to where it hits the windshield, sounds like your in a rainstorm on clear day when driving 65mph.

I really like ours, if they could fix it, I would keep it, but apparently
they can't !

Quick Reply: Expy experience/recommendation