1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustability in 2000 7.3L F-250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:21 AM
AlannaS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch adjustability in 2000 7.3L F-250?

I have a 2000 7.3L F-250 with a 6 speed standard transmission that I have had since 2002. It was on its original clutch until about a month ago. The clutch pedal used to be stiff and would engage very quickly as soon as I started lifting my foot off of it, making starting on hills easy. The clutch got replaced and now the pedal feel is much softer, and doesn't engage until my foot is halfway off, making it much harder to start on hills. I have to pull my foot halfway off the clutch before taking my foot off the brake and risk stalling it, if I'm on a steep hill. I recently moved and am using a new mechanic, and I don't think he works on a lot of standard transmissions. I have asked around and gotten mixed information on whether or not the grab of the clutch is adjustable. Current mechanic says there's nothing he can adjust. Is there any way to improve this issue? Towing a trailer uphill has gotten almost impossible if I have to stop and start, even from low gear.
Any info appreciated.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:35 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 333 Likes on 302 Posts
There is no adjustment on hydraulic clutches.
When you replaced the clutch did you replace the pressure plate and the slave cylinder also?
You said it's releasing about halfway up, that's about the correct position, Your clutch should start to release about 1/3 of the way off the floor and be fully engaged by the halfway point but all clutches are not the same. Also if you had a heavy duty clutch in originally but it was replaced with a lighter clutch that may also be the reason it's engaging later.
Did the mechanic open the hydraulic system and maybe introduce some air and didn't get it all bled out?
Could it be that you have have a weak MC and some of the fluid is bypassing the seals? If your truck has high miles, this could be a possibility. My son and I replaced the clutch on our 95 F250, and the clutch was very soft after replacement, After 2 weeks of messing with it we removed the MC and found fluid leaking where the rod pushes at the back of the MC.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:55 AM
AlannaS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no adjustment on hydraulic clutches.
When you replaced the clutch did you replace the pressure plate and the slave cylinder also?
The pressure plate was replaced but I don't think the slave cylinder was.

You said it's releasing about halfway up, that's about the correct position, Your clutch should start to release about 1/3 of the way off the floor and be fully engaged by the halfway point but all clutches are not the same. Also if you had a heavy duty clutch in originally but it was replaced with a lighter clutch that may also be the reason it's engaging later.
The HD clutch vs lighter clutch is basically what it feels like. I suppose if that's the issue I'm screwed, because I don't want to have to replace it again.

Did the mechanic open the hydraulic system and maybe introduce some air and didn't get it all bled out?
Possible. I can ask.

Could it be that you have have a weak MC and some of the fluid is bypassing the seals? If your truck has high miles, this could be a possibility. My son and I replaced the clutch on our 95 F250, and the clutch was very soft after replacement, After 2 weeks of messing with it we removed the MC and found fluid leaking where the rod pushes at the back of the MC.
I suppose this is possible, too. The truck is back at the mechanic because it's been grinding when I shift into 3rd since they replaced the clutch and refurbished the transmission, so it's back in the shop and I can ask them to take a look.

Thanks for the input!