1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F100 newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 F100 newbie needs help

Just bought a 1953 F100 off eBay (Item #2439085004).

I need help with a few things: can respond to skilborn(insert at sign here)wfubmc.edu if you wish

1. good manuals
2. general watch-out-fors
3. I'd like to get the top speed comfortable at 65, but not sure how practical this is. Current owner says 55 is about top end now without overrevving.
4. Owner says that it runs fine but doesn't stop (brakes no good).
5. Current owner says no rust except in cab corners.
6. Good vendors for parts?
7. Probably needs a new wiring harness - cloth or new technology and source?

Other than a good going over with my 15 y.o. son as a joint project, I intend to make this a daily driver and good time for my dogs.

Thanks for any help.

-Scott

Last edited by Narwhal; 10-27-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott

One of the best things you can do is to do a search on the forum for any particular subject you care to think about. I read for about 2 weeks before ever posting the first time. You'll find out who are serious restorers, restorodders or flat out innovators. Course you discover others like me who are merely wannabes or are so new ourselves, we can only offer generalizations.

Get a good manual. Our host here sells them at a competitive rate. Ditto on parts. Consult the magazines, look at other areas of the forums

Put tongue firmly in cheek, keep sense of humor and thick skin handy and remember, we all love our trucks. Read John Niolon's article under tech articles "Trials of a first time builder" Check the gallery and story/history of "Earl" (George is the owners name) Listen to other members who dispense good tech info.

Above all, have a road map.

Good luck and have fun

From the outhouse

Bubba

Old 10-27-2003, 01:41 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
53 Newbie,
Welcome aboard FTE! Good folk here, so fire away with the quesions. For vendors, I'd start right here on FTE. Click on the Parts Shop in red on the upper right hand corner of this screen and go onto MotorHaven. I'l E-mail you with other vendors, but this is a good place to start and prices are competitive.

Hope you and your son have many memories ahead with your project truck. Somehow, I think you will...

Daryl
'59 Styleside
(aka, Butch n Me)

Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 PM
1cool60
New User
Welcome aboard. There is no end to the amount of parts available for the 53-56 trucks, so that should not be a problem. I have helped my dad build three 56 big windows, and two small windows. They are great trucks, and alot of fun to work on. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Scott

Welcome to the forum. I tried to check out your truck but the auction number you posted is for a shop manual. Like the guys said, start reading the old posts and fire away with your questions.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Flaflathead
Senior User
Welcome, take pics and keep us posted of your progress. I too am a newbe and a wanttobe. I am starting on a 52 F-1 with a flathead V-8 installed when I got the truck. Much is needed for my truck and should I discover any Good tips, I will pass these along.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
53 F100 pickup wrong number

Sorry I posted the wrong number. The truck I bought is Item # 2438416462.

Gonna need wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuild kits...

-Scott

Old 10-28-2003, 07:23 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Scott

Click on my profile and email me. My brother in law has the rebuild kits you need. Plus shoes and stuff. He changed his mind and is using modern axles on his truck. They are collecting dust in my garage. I'm sure he'll sell them for less than you can get them at a parts store.

I''ll check out your truck PICs when I get a chance.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
rebuild kits

I'm too new to be allowed to use the email from profile feature, but my email is skilborn(insert at here)wfubmc.edu and I'd be interested.

-Scott

Old 10-28-2003, 05:45 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Scott

Just checked out your project on ebay. It looks like a good solid project. We could better answer your original questions if we new a little more about your intentions. Somewhat stock restoration planned I presume? Some vendors are more stock oriented while others cater to the rodder crowd.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
53 F100

You make a very good point about intentions. I want to make it a safe daily driver, but otherwise to keep it stock. No hotrodding, etc. but seat belts, etc. will be considered. I'd like to get it to do 65 mph safely so I can easily drive it to work and not just on the back roads. It will be a functional restoration, be fun to drive but the dogs will be riding in it with me (in other words, not a concourse restoration!)

So I want it safe and would like to drive 65 without killing it.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm in Winston-Salem, NC.

-Scott

Old 10-29-2003, 07:21 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Sott

Opinions will vary. I would suggest radial tires and rims, completely rebuilt stock suspension and steering, and power front disk brakes. That would allow safe driving at Interstate speeds with a somewhat stock appearrance. Now whether the stock flatty and rear gearing will do 65mph is another subject others here can answer.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Originally posted by fatfenders
Sott

Opinions will vary. I would suggest radial tires and rims, completely rebuilt stock suspension and steering, and power front disk brakes. That would allow safe driving at Interstate speeds with a somewhat stock appearrance. Now whether the stock flatty and rear gearing will do 65mph is another subject others here can answer.

In terms of the rear gearing, I've heard of overdrives and changing the rear enad ratio. Where would the best place be to look for either and what ratio/specs would I need for a '53 F100. Assume 65mph to be top end for 10 miles to work.

-Scott

Old 10-29-2003, 08:28 PM
bhabben
Senior User
Scot,
The easiest way to determine if the engine can pull a higher set of gears is to temporarily swap on a pair of taller rear tires, as tall as you can find, and go for a drive. Remember that if it still says 65mph, you are actually going faster. There are web tire calculators that will give you engine rpms at a given speed with a given set of tires and rear axle ratio. Use these numbers to guesstimate to how much your speedometer has been thrown off.
If can pull it, then decide what size tires you want to run, look at the chart, and figure out what is the closest rear axle ratio to give you the desired engine rpm. If you don't already have a 3 speed overdrive, it can be difficult to find a working one. A rear axle swap may be cheaper and easier. A '57-72 F100 9" rear axle is the easiest substitution, and has the advantage of the drop out pumpkin (poor man's quick change).
Good Luck!
Brett

Old 10-30-2003, 10:23 AM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User
A reasonably healthy stock flathead V-8 can pull a '53 F-100 at 65 MPH on more or less level ground. Don't expect it to go up mountain passes at 65 MPH however.

I live in Denver Colorado and have a good friend who has a 100% stock '53 F-100 with flathead V-8 and 3-speed and the stock factory overdrive transmission. It runs 65 easily even at our altitude of 5,200 feet.

I don't know for sure what RPM it's turning, but an educated guess would be about 2,800 RPM. He doesn't have a tach in it.

A lot of people coming out of cars are fooled into thinking they are over revving an engine by the fan noise which is generated by these older pickups. Do some calculations as previously mentioned in this thread once you have determined the tire size you are going to use. A flathead can run at 3,000 RPM all day if it is in decent condition. The fan noise might make it seem higher than that. (DON'T try to make it pull 65 at 2000-2100 like a modern car however. The torque and horsepower simply aren't there at that RPM.)

Good luck, and be safe.

BobJonesSpecial.

Quick Reply: 1953 F100 newbie needs help