General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is Jessica Lynch really a hero?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:12 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Jessica Lynch really a hero?

First off, let me say I hold nothing against Miss Lynch as she did what she did. She choose to serve her country and in no fault of her own was captured. However, is she deserving of all the fan fare she has received? See this website: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=34272

I just have to ask myself if this had been Joseph Lynch, would it be such a big deal? She isn't the first female POW. She isn't the first female to be in battle. She isn't the first female to return from war. So what is the big deal?

It just angers me that she is recieving all this attention and others who are more deserving are not! Everything that has to do with her is on the fast track, while other service members are still waiting to have their awards typed.

I am disappointed that the Army has allowed the media to set the standards for awards she has been awarded. I know there are vets rolling over in their graves at the thought of her being awarded the Bronze Star!

Old 10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jessica Lynch is a hero.

But not one iota more so then the hundreds of thousands before her. Or the ones still serving, or will serve in the future.

Yes. This sizzles my bacon alright.

But look at the other side of the coin (I am forcing myself to):

The Woman (girl) really is a hero.

Even if she was in the service just to get away from Nowhere, USA. (home) and I don't speculate that she was; when the stink hit the fan and her pals started loosing blood - and body parts - she didn't run. She stood and fought. Notice she wasn't shot in the back. She was shot where you could reasonably expect to be shot using a vehicle for cover while laying down baby bullets (I hate .223's) in the direction of an enemy.

That takes strength of character. Serious strength.

Money is enough to make anyone's moral vision fuzzy. Especially a whole pile of it. I have to believe that she will realize the opportunity she has to make a pile of money, AND legitimately demonstrate to those young people who may be looking to her for leadership by example the real "right stuff".

Let's not forget, there are a lot of dead soldiers talking to her over her shoulder too - she will do the right thing with this in the end. She is a hero.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
You may want to have a boo at this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2B%25252BLynch

Waxy

On Edit: My opinion, NO.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:56 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Waxy
You may want to have a boo at this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2B%25252BLynch

Waxy

On Edit: My opinion, NO.
I hate when this happens

Now I have to find out the truth.

And maaaan, you better believe I will. I'm a professional Geek - remember.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i dont believe she is for being a POW. i respect her for risking her life for me and everyone else in this country. but i dont think being a POW makes you a hero.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:31 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
I don't either. And I hope I was not implying that.

IF

her situation is per my current understanding, she directly risked a potentially ugly death for herself defending the lives of others.

Regardless of the context it occurs in, the person who did that is a hero. . . . in my book.

Now, as to the question of whether a person can be a SCUM BAG ~and~ a hero . . . that's another topic for The Pig Pin. Based on what I am reading now about the "real" situation surrounding this, it is entirely possible.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
...Did she do anything Above and Beyond the call of DUTY...?
If so, then yes...If not, then no...

Anything less, demeans the word Hero...
IMHO

Old 10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Red face

Opps, missed that one. Should have known this was covered before.
Guess I should have asked, Does she rate the Bronze Star?
My answer would still have to remain....NO.

Thanks for the heads up on the other thread.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:26 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by wabiker
...Did she do anything Above and Beyond the call of DUTY...?
If so, then yes...If not, then no...

Anything less, demeans the word Hero...
IMHO
. . now correct me if I'm wrong here; by that definition neither firemen, police officers or soldiers COULD meet the criteria for hero. How about Austronauts? Not them either.

Have I got that right? It sure wouldn't seem so to me. But maybe I'm getting old

Old 10-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Caplax40
More Turbo
In my opinion, she is definitely not a hero. The men who rescued her are the heroes. Just because you have an intriguing story doesn't make you a hero. I think people are just desperate to find a hero in this conflict.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:37 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
I think we may have a misunderstanding. FWIW - I am basing my use of the term "hero" on the dictionary.

http://www.dictionary.com

Pardon the pilferage please:
"In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.

A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.
The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation. "

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:42 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
I think anyone that puts their personal safety aside to help others could be called a hero. Therefore, the term could be applied to all the men and women serving our country all over the world, and yes, I would also include policemen and firemen.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:01 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Then each person who served should get a Bronze Star, major publicity, book deal and movie rights? I'm with Waxy on this one, just more of the same old spin.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
She's not a hero. In 5 years, there won't be any word of her, she'll have her pile of cash, her books will be out of print, and the made for TV movies will be gathering dust, along with our recollection of all of this. Another fabricated hero fades away...
Then, in like 25 years, some goohead TV exec will need a filler piece, like "Chronicle of a Hero: Whatever happened to Jessica Lynch?" The TV audience will say to themselves "Who? Hero?", directly before switching the channel.
She is not a hero, she is just damn lucky to be alive, and if I were her, I would be shouting the names of the men who rescued me at every news conference and TV spot, demanding that they get recognition as well. She had better be grateful every day of the rest of her life for those men, and she should take her pile of cash and give a bunch of it to them.
You know what a hero is? It's the person who takes an old lady lunch and talks to her for an hour a week, not some lucky little girl that got a lucky break and a fat paycheck. We have TOTALLY lost track of what real heroism is. The men who rescued her are the heroes, not her.
BDV

Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 AM
AYoungblood
Elder User
Ill make this short and sweet.

Dont you have to surrender yourself in order to be captured?

Well im not one to be captured. I would have fired, throwm stabbed and blown anything up before i was taken. And if somehow i was taken, i would make sure i then poked eyes out of as meny of them as i could before i was shot.

Just my opinion on that "hero" and pow thingie.

Adam

Quick Reply: Is Jessica Lynch really a hero?