1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bad experience at an automotive paint store today

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 03:37 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Bad experience at an automotive paint store today

Hi to all.
Today I went to a local automotive paint store to get some advise on what type of paint to use on my 51 f1. I am not a an experienced painter but have shot paint through a paint gun a few times in my life.

I went to the counter with a couple of paint charts and questions regarding single stage paint. The guy behind the counter looked busy and he seemed as though he wasn't interested in helping me at all. I explained that I was building a ford truck and was thinking of using single stage paint. He immediately responded that I wouldn't be happy with it and suggested 2 stage paint. I asked why and he said it would make for a better paint job. I asked him a few more questions about 2 colors that I was thinking of using. He just loked at me over the top of his glasses and his mask, as to indicate why are you asking me dum questions and implied as though I was an idiot.

I asked about the price of single stage paint and reducer and he replied about $150 per quart for each color that I had in mind. I could tell he was either having a bad day or he really thought I was an idiot for not knowing what I wanted. He made me feel that I was wasting his time and I left the store feeling that I had wasted my time.

Hopefully, I can find a paint store that is interested in selling paint and helping a potential customer.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration.
Take Care
Dan

Old 08-25-2020, 04:46 AM
F1 Mike
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Find another store. I'll often go to stores farther away and pay a little more just because of the service. A single stage paint will work just fine for a truck. In fact if you aren't set on a factory color check out the paint lines that Summit Racing has. I have used Summit brand paint recently and I am very impressed. Easy to spray and cures to a great finish.

Edit. Just saw you are in CA. I don't think you will find any on line supplier that will ship paint to CA.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:52 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts
TCP Global is based in San Diego and offers a wide range of autobody supplies including House of Kolor and their own line of paints. While living in the San Diego area I routinely bought paint from out of state vendors using online services...that said, there are products with high VOCs that cannot be purchased in CA. If you need someone to talk to in person then I would recommend that you take a drive south down to the Roseville area, some of the finest custom automobile shops on the West coast are located there so there has to be quite a few body shop supply stores in that area. As for your experience with the other shop, as with any business the counter help can get overwhelmed and short with customers. Your statement that "The guy behind the counter looked busy" is telling. If you went into that same store at a time when they weren't busy am relatively sure that you would get the attention you were looking for.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:15 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts
Dan, I would send that posting via email or even snail mail addressed to the owner of the paint store just to see if that makes a difference in their employees thinking

Old 08-25-2020, 07:32 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What store did go to Dan? Was it in auburn

Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts
Reno is only 2 hours away, buy anything you want and the paint store I've been using has been great.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:31 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys
Yes, Roy, it was Warehouse paint in Auburn.
I have been looking into Summit and TCP Global paints and will probably buy from either of them.

My big concern was the attitude. I ran a customer service help desk for the state of CA where I was an automotive tech advisor for consumers and automotive technicians. I know how difficult it can be for people looking for assistance. Sometimes you just need to stop and listen and offer options even if the options are limited.

I just got frustrated. Thanks for listening.
Dan

Old 08-25-2020, 01:41 PM
Bob Ingram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 662 Likes on 323 Posts
There’s nothing more frustrating for someone with customer service experience, than getting poor customer service. Some folks just feel like it’s beneath then to give advise to a beginner, tell me what you want and I’ll get it, attitude has put many stores out of business.

good luck finding a better vendor

Old 08-25-2020, 01:53 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sherman- Williams is across the street on 49

Old 08-25-2020, 04:20 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys
I am sure I will find a better vendor, maybe local or online.
Jerry's paint in Citrus Heights (between Sacramento and Roseville) has a good reputation. I may try them next.