2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New 7.3 Hard downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:42 PM
argentbandido
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 7.3 Hard downshifting

Hi All, Im new to the forum but not new to fords. I just picked up a 2020 F250 XLT with the 7.3 gas and Ive noticed when cruising around 10mph the transmission downshifts hard when slowing down. So much to the point where the truck almost jumps. The truck now has around 950miles on it and not sure if this is normal or part of the 'break in' process. Wondering if anyone has the same hard shifting happening.
Here she is with a 2.5" level and 35's...

Old 08-23-2020, 11:55 PM
4RXLA
Cross-Country
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
I’m not experiencing what you are but will say that when cold, the transmission shifts harder than when it is at temperature.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:01 AM
Thevol
Tuned
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Its pretty common from what I have seen, really depends on your driving style. Mine does it on occasion but has gotten better, I'm at 1k miles now. One thing that does annoy me is in tow/haul the auto downshifting is really aggressive, if you are towing under 10k and going down a steep hill it will rev the motor really high, up to 5k RPM to slow you down. I have been using normal mode and manual mode to keep it under control. Tow haul works ok on relatively flat ground but dont care for it in the mtns.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:12 AM
raven_zilla
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm at 9k now. Intermittent hard shift 1-3 and 3-1. Maybe a software update would help and also improve the shifting delays.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:34 PM
FishinSturgeon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got over 7K on mine, brought into 2 different dealerships and they wont do anything about it........ Ive literally been shoved into my wheel on a few occasions because of the aggressive downshift... but Ford doesn't seem to think its an issue. I even asked the last dealership to re-flash the computer and they said NOPE.... so anyways i just deal with it but its not fun to drive cause I never know when its going to happen.
Same issue when accelerating lots of clunking...once again all normal according to Ford.... Oh ya I have a fleet of work trucks all with same tranny and guess what, no issues. Im done with this topic as it gives me a tummy ache. Good luck

Old 08-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Bronkxone
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
After going to two different dealers for the same issues as the others in this post I bought tunes from 5 star in the hope it could be tuned out. The answer is no it cant, improved yes but its still there. I do feel if I could find a "good" local Ford tuner they could resolve it just from my messing around with HP Tuners and the trucks trans settings. I just don't think its possible with out the tuner driving the truck and making changes. I hate the trans in my 7.3 truck with a passion and it will be the reason I get rid of it.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 AM
Lin19687
Cargo Master
Received 158 Likes on 140 Posts
Is this only a 7.3 thing or does the 6.2 gasser have it too?

Old 08-25-2020, 07:19 AM
JayCarver
Laughing Gas
Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts
I’m wondering how common this issue is....

Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 AM
raven_zilla
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkxone
After going to two different dealers for the same issues as the others in this post I bought tunes from 5 star in the hope it could be tuned out. The answer is no it cant, improved yes but its still there. I do feel if I could find a "good" local Ford tuner they could resolve it just from my messing around with HP Tuners and the trucks trans settings. I just don't think its possible with out the tuner driving the truck and making changes. I hate the trans in my 7.3 truck with a passion and it will be the reason I get rid of it.
If I get DW, that will be the final straw.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Get with 5 Star and get a tune they will straighten out that tranny.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:13 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 463 Likes on 337 Posts
A common recommendation for the F150 transmission hard shift issues is to disconnect the battery overnight to force a "re-learn" process. Might help on the Super duty trans too, and is free and low risk in any case.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:01 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
[QUOTE=After going to two different dealers for the same issues as the others in this post I bought tunes from 5 star in the hope it could be tuned out. The answer is no it cant, improved yes but its still there. I do feel if I could find a "good" local Ford tuner they could resolve it just from my messing around with HP Tuners and the trucks trans settings. I just don't think its possible with out the tuner driving the truck and making changes. I hate the trans in my 7.3 truck with a passion and it will be the reason I get rid of it.
.[/QUOTE]

you should have come and did some live tuning to get it like you wanted sometimes thats all it takes... all the ones we have here drive like butter including the New Tremor we picked up as Ford trans updates in it..

Old 08-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Bronkxone
Cross-Country
I dont doubt that 5 Star could do a lot more in person that should be a given, but a 1500 mile round trip is not. Your own trucks had better be butter smooth as the tuner should have no excuse with the trucks being on hand and all. The fact I am throwing money at a problem
on a truck with 700 miles on it is nuts. I am all for pissing away money for the sake of fun but this is not that situation. The trans is the worst part of the truck in my experience, and dealing with the dealership service depts just makes the situation worse.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,479 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Lin19687
Is this only a 7.3 thing or does the 6.2 gasser have it too?
I drove a F250 6.7 PSD Tremor today and it does the same thing, very harsh downshift into first, buttery smooth going up though.

Been thinking about getting a new F250 but this has me wondering if I should.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:40 AM
Bronkxone
Cross-Country
I wont try to say they all have the issue as I have no idea. I expect to have a few issues with any new car or truck that is just the nature of manufacturing. Where this goes off the rails for me is getting the run around from Ford dealers. I asked that I take
the tech for a ride in the truck and they told me no. I asked that they check for updated software and was told it was not needed. I made sure the truck had a full tank and told them to let the tech drive it as much as they want and to drive it home even.
I wrote down the miles and they put a total of 3 miles on the truck. When I pick it up its a no problem found. I took it to a local private shop and the owner took it for a 10 min ride and came back with much the same complaint I had. But as a private shop
they cant get Ford software and such. So I am sure its not all in my head and I just cant stand it.

The tunes from 5 Star I bought made a difference so that tells me its in the programming. But I need in person tuning to get further and 5 Star is 800 miles away.

Quick Reply: New 7.3 Hard downshifting