Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Recommendations | Dana 44 Swap 1990 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 10:34 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Suspension Recommendations | Dana 44 Swap 1990 F150

Hey Everyone,

As I'm wrapping up the last of the pile of parts for the swap, I've reached a massive fork... Suspension. At a high level, I'm planning on only doing a 4" lift in support of the dana 44 I have out of a 78' Bronco. I'm pretty sure that I need the springs for a 78' bronco for the front, but I don't think there are any spring/damper kits that are specific for this swap that also include a matching setup for the rear. I'd like to hear people's thoughts and experience on what springs and dampers they used as part of this swap.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 295 Posts
Just get 4 inch lift leaf springs and shocks for the pickup and you'll be fine.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:49 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
Just get 4 inch lift leaf springs and shocks for the pickup and you'll be fine.
Yes, that's the plan. However, the intent around the question was about brand front and rear for both leafs and coils. I know there are a ton of options that can be mis-matched and made to just "work". I'm looking for opinions on what people's experiences are with the various brands. Oh, and dampers as well.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Bignasty2
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a parts truck with this setup. I believe it was a 6" lift. Where the crossmember goes below the motor is going to get pretty close to your pumpkin. If I remember correctly, it looked like I wouldn't go less than 6. I'm assuming you're after offroad performance. Advertised springrates are what you're after. Superflex will have terrible street manners, skyjacker will have okay crawling manners. Somewhere in between is probably what you want.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:41 PM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Bignasty2
I had a parts truck with this setup. I believe it was a 6" lift. Where the crossmember goes below the motor is going to get pretty close to your pumpkin. If I remember correctly, it looked like I wouldn't go less than 6. I'm assuming you're after offroad performance. Advertised springrates are what you're after. Superflex will have terrible street manners, skyjacker will have okay crawling manners. Somewhere in between is probably what you want.
That's correct. Have you ever used or have an opinion on BDS? We are planning on relocating the power steering cooler and doing some trimming of the engine cross member.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:55 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IBLDBLUE
That's correct. Have you ever used or have an opinion on BDS? We are planning on relocating the power steering cooler and doing some trimming of the engine cross member.
I used BDS on another brand vehicle and was pleased. What's the purpose of the truck? Would help determine what spring rate you want. That really is what I think you're asking??

leaves for the rear can be made more flexy etc. with teflon liners.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:42 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
I recently put a set of 4" procomp leafs in my truck. I didn't want that much lift though so I pulled the stock lift blocks and used a 2" drop shackle (for newer f150s). With Bilstein 5100 shocks they work really well, seems like great bang for the buck. It's a 6 leaf pack vs the 4 I had before, and is much more progressive. The other pack was just harsh all the time.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:32 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd
I used BDS on another brand vehicle and was pleased. What's the purpose of the truck? Would help determine what spring rate you want. That really is what I think you're asking??

leaves for the rear can be made more flexy etc. with teflon liners.
I'm primarily looking for building an overlander. So, it'll need to still carry quite a bit of payload in the back, but not destroy everything in the truck while doing it.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:33 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I recently put a set of 4" procomp leafs in my truck. I didn't want that much lift though so I pulled the stock lift blocks and used a 2" drop shackle (for newer f150s). With Bilstein 5100 shocks they work really well, seems like great bang for the buck. It's a 6 leaf pack vs the 4 I had before, and is much more progressive. The other pack was just harsh all the time.
Oh man, I completely forgot about procomp. I have heard good things about them as well. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 07-28-2020, 02:55 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
So no lift blocks. Consider a traction bar for the rear to prevent axle wrap. Use lift bags as an overload. Just pick your ride/lift height and go with it.

And honeslty I'd keep the TTB. For an overlander it will be fine. It's not like your building a rock buggy. Just replace all your bushings with poly urethane. I used energy suspension.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:29 PM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
So no lift blocks. Consider a traction bar for the rear to prevent axle wrap. Use lift bags as an overload. Just pick your ride/lift height and go with it.

And honeslty I'd keep the TTB. For an overlander it will be fine. It's not like your building a rock buggy. Just replace all your bushings with poly urethane. I used energy suspension.
Thanks hadfield4wd. My heart is pretty set on going it the SAS since I already have one I'm prepping for the swap.. I like the idea of running a traction bar out back.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Thanks hadfield4wd. My heart is pretty set on going it the SAS since I already have one I'm prepping for the swap.. I like the idea of running a traction bar out back.
In that case carry on. You will get axle wrap. There are plenty of ways to build the bar without losing any travel.

Here is a picture of one I built for a jeep Cherokee I built. Worked well and had the added bonus of protecting the driveshaft

Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
That looks pretty damned good. I've got a buddy who does fabrication and custom classic 4x4 truck builds. I'll have to bug him about doing something like that with my build.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:58 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
That looks pretty damned good. I've got a buddy who does fabrication and custom classic 4x4 truck builds. I'll have to bug him about doing something like that with my build.
Thanks. The shackle needs to be the same length as the leaf spring shackles and relatively parallel to them as well. Thats why I had to cut a whole into the passenger compartment. The cover was a loaf pan, I don't think my wife ever found out. 😁

Old 07-29-2020, 10:43 AM
IBLDBLUE
Mountain Pass
Thanks. The shackle needs to be the same length as the leaf spring shackles and relatively parallel to them as well. Thats why I had to cut a whole into the passenger compartment. The cover was a loaf pan, I don't think my wife ever found out. 😁
She probably knows, but is holding it in until the most in-opportune time to bring it up

Quick Reply: Suspension Recommendations | Dana 44 Swap 1990 F150