1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

302 to 460 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 10:56 AM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 to 460 swap.

I got a 81 f150 4wd with a 302 in it. Neighbor offerd me a 460 bug block with transmission and radistor and everything i will need basicly for 400 bucks. Great deal. But its a fuel injected. What all will i need to do if anything to drop that bug block in the spot of my 302 and will it be dificult to make the injected 460 carbouratored? Tnx for any tips

Old 07-06-2020, 06:06 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
302-460

I understand that the fuel injected heads are different. Maybe now someone makes a intake manifold that fits on the fuel injection heads. If you can afford it get a set of Edelbrock heads and manifold with a 750 Holley. Early 60s 429 CJ heads will work if you can find a good set. Find a 460 distributor that has the same wire connections as your current 302 model and the wiring will work. You will need new front springs.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:23 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
I know all of that lol. Autozone makes the manifold adaptor for 30 bucks. And what do you mean by front spring? Surely the coil springs dont have nothing to do with it right?

Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Here's a kit with everything you need. If nothing else it will sort of tell you what you are going to need and try to round up. You can buy the parts separately.

https://www.landlproducts.com/detail...=0&ItemID=1127

Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Here's a kit with everything you need. If nothing else it will sort of tell you what you are going to need and try to round up. You can buy the parts separately.

https://www.landlproducts.com/detail...=0&ItemID=1127
appreciate it but are all of them things necessary? Not planning on spending 1800$ on a kit just to put it in ya know? What are things absolutely necessary to have? Thanks

Old 07-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Franklin2
I am assuming the engine you are getting is from a truck? So it should already have the rear sump oil pan correct?

Do you have the 460 engine perches and mounting? I remember a guy on here said the f250/350 mounts for a 460 would fit on the f150 crossmember. But you will need to get all that from somewhere. It would be nice to verify they will fit and have more than one persons experience with it. It seems suspicious that they sell conversion motor mounts in that kit above.

You will have to buy that remote oil filter kit. And I have read you have to make sure you get the right one that has very tight fittings on it. There is very little room for it in this conversion. The f250/350's with a 460 had a special dent in the crossmember for oil filter clearance. Your f150 doesn't have this.

I guess you are going to use all the accessories that come with the 460 engine? Like the alternator, power steering pump and all the pulleys? Are they serpentine? And you need to check the radiator, you probably need the larger 460 radiator.

What is this $30 adapter you are buying?

Old 07-06-2020, 07:08 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I am assuming the engine you are getting is from a truck? So it should already have the rear sump oil pan correct?

Do you have the 460 engine perches and mounting? I remember a guy on here said the f250/350 mounts for a 460 would fit on the f150 crossmember. But you will need to get all that from somewhere. It would be nice to verify they will fit and have more than one persons experience with it. It seems suspicious that they sell conversion motor mounts in that kit above.

You will have to buy that remote oil filter kit. And I have read you have to make sure you get the right one that has very tight fittings on it. There is very little room for it in this conversion. The f250/350's with a 460 had a special dent in the crossmember for oil filter clearance. Your f150 doesn't have this.

I guess you are going to use all the accessories that come with the 460 engine? Like the alternator, power steering pump and all the pulleys? Are they serpentine? And you need to check the radiator, you probably need the larger 460 radiator.

What is this $30 adapter you are buying?
if i do get this off my neighbor i will be able to take everything (radiator. Mounts. Ect.) I was just wondering if i needed anything special? Sounds of it i have to get a kit for the oil filter and find a way to make that injected 460 into a carbourated one. Is that all? Besides the obvious transmission cross member and engine mounts and use the 460 exhaust

Old 07-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Franklin2
That's the major stuff. There is always the little things, like making throttle cable work, swapping alternators or modifying the wiring to make the later alternator work. Not sure if the 460 radiator will bolt in the f150 radiator support or not. I know the diesels had a different radiator support. Not sure about the gas engines.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Yea i figured that small stuff. If i do do this ill make a detailed youtube video to show everyone how i did it

Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
302-460

When you get the 460 in place you will see why you need a set of front springs.
I did that conversion in 1975.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:04 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kenny nunez
When you get the 460 in place you will see why you need a set of front springs.
I did that conversion in 1975.
i dont have stock springs i have roigh country prings for a 6 inch lift

Old 07-07-2020, 04:28 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You don’t just need the BBF mounts, you’ll need the actual perches from the donor truck in order to use the 385 Series mounts. So drilling out rivets etc. Otherwise you’ll require the swap style mounts like LandL list to line up the 460 block to the 302/351 perch.

The 460 rad should fit in place of your current rad.

Your lift springs will likely be worse off for that big block swap.

Remote oil filter for sure.

Your existing trans crossmember may work. It could just need to be flipped around 180*.

I have no experience on the EFI conversion.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:52 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by displacement4me
You don’t just need the BBF mounts, you’ll need the actual perches from the donor truck in order to use the 385 Series mounts. So drilling out rivets etc. Otherwise you’ll require the swap style mounts like LandL list to line up the 460 block to the 302/351 perch.

The 460 rad should fit in place of your current rad.

Your lift springs will likely be worse off for that big block swap.

Remote oil filter for sure.

Your existing trans crossmember may work. It could just need to be flipped around 180*.

I have no experience on the EFI conversion.
i beleive if i flipped the ol tranny crossmember upside down it wouldnt fit a dang thing lol its shaped like a U right now how she is. And i have no clue what u mean by "perches" and "385 series" im assuming in simple terms your saying as long as i get the mounts off the donor truck itll fit in the place of mine now?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:01 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProfit
i beleive if i flipped the ol tranny crossmember upside down it wouldnt fit a dang thing lol its shaped like a U right now how she is. And i have no clue what u mean by "perches" and "385 series" im assuming in simple terms your saying as long as i get the mounts off the donor truck itll fit in the place of mine now?
By rotating 180* I mean spinning it flat, not upside down. But yeah, a damaged one is no good anyways.
385 refers to the 429/460 block, like how your 302/351 is a Windsor. The perches are the actual structural steel portion riveted to the frame. Your mount is the rubber isolator that bolts to the block on one side and the perch on the other. The stud end is what bolts through the perch.

To make the swap bolt in with what you have available, you need the mounts currently attached to the 460 donor block (as long as they are in good shape), but you need the perches from the donor truck frame and swap those with the perches in your 302 truck.

Perches shown in red

Old 07-07-2020, 07:28 PM
LostProfit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by displacement4me
By rotating 180* I mean spinning it flat, not upside down. But yeah, a damaged one is no good anyways.
385 refers to the 429/460 block, like how your 302/351 is a Windsor. The perches are the actual structural steel portion riveted to the frame. Your mount is the rubber isolator that bolts to the block on one side and the perch on the other. The stud end is what bolts through the perch.

To make the swap bolt in with what you have available, you need the mounts currently attached to the 460 donor block (as long as they are in good shape), but you need the perches from the donor truck frame and swap those with the perches in your 302 truck.

Perches shown in red

i gochya now. So make sure i snag off them perches and tranny cross member. Only thing i have to buy that cant be taken off the parts truck is the oil filter thing right? And thank you so much for clarifying that i wouldnt have thought about those perches

Quick Reply: 302 to 460 swap.