2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2012 Expedition XLT EL "Service Advancetrac" light and ABS lights on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:21 AM
Jermy_Jinky
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Expedition XLT EL "Service Advancetrac" light and ABS lights on

I have a 2012 Expedition XLT EL. The other day the "Service Advancetrac" warning appeared on the instrument panel readout and the ABS lights came on also. Then, for a brief second, I lost brakes. Then, the brakes started working again, but the lights stayed on. Later, after having been parked for a while, I went out again, and all of the lights were off. A few minutes into driving, all the same lights came back on, but had no braking issues. We parked for a little bit, then when we started back driving, same thing as before, all the lights were still on, and lost brakes for a moment. It sounded like the front driver wheel bearing was starting to go out (humming in right hand turns), so I replaced it with a new one. After replacing the wheel hub assembly, the lights went out. I took it for a drive and the bearing hum was gone, but as soon as i touched the brake pedal, the ABS kicked in like I had stomped on the pedal. It did this for about a mile, then all of the same warning lights came on, and the brakes went back to feeling like normal. The last time I drove it the other day, the same wheel was making the same humming again. The day I replaced the wheel hub, I also replaced both sets front brake pads. Neither appeared to be excessively or unevenly worn.
Also, I noticed when using the turn signal, sometimes you can hear it "clicking" inside like normal when they are on, and then the "clicking will stop, but the turn signals are still flashing. I've been looking and looking and have seen that it could be the steering rack, or ABS unit, or wheel sensors...are these things that are a major PIA to replace or repair? Is there something else I might be missing? Is there something I can test or check before tearing it apart or dropping hundreds into it? or worse, taking it to a shop?
Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2023, 05:46 PM
Dathoz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see this post is a couple of years old. Did you ever resolve this issue? I have exactly the same truck and I am experiencing the same issues.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:20 PM
BSM
1st Gear
2012 Expedition help.

Originally Posted by Jermy_Jinky
I have a 2012 Expedition XLT EL. The other day the "Service Advancetrac" warning appeared on the instrument panel readout and the ABS lights came on also. Then, for a brief second, I lost brakes. Then, the brakes started working again, but the lights stayed on. Later, after having been parked for a while, I went out again, and all of the lights were off. A few minutes into driving, all the same lights came back on, but had no braking issues. We parked for a little bit, then when we started back driving, same thing as before, all the lights were still on, and lost brakes for a moment. It sounded like the front driver wheel bearing was starting to go out (humming in right hand turns), so I replaced it with a new one. After replacing the wheel hub assembly, the lights went out. I took it for a drive and the bearing hum was gone, but as soon as i touched the brake pedal, the ABS kicked in like I had stomped on the pedal. It did this for about a mile, then all of the same warning lights came on, and the brakes went back to feeling like normal. The last time I drove it the other day, the same wheel was making the same humming again. The day I replaced the wheel hub, I also replaced both sets front brake pads. Neither appeared to be excessively or unevenly worn.
Also, I noticed when using the turn signal, sometimes you can hear it "clicking" inside like normal when they are on, and then the "clicking will stop, but the turn signals are still flashing. I've been looking and looking and have seen that it could be the steering rack, or ABS unit, or wheel sensors...are these things that are a major PIA to replace or repair? Is there something else I might be missing? Is there something I can test or check before tearing it apart or dropping hundreds into it? or worse, taking it to a shop?
Any ideas?
Did you ever resolve this problem, I have same vehicle and exact same lights and issues.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:01 PM
dposey
Trailering
How I solved this problem on my 2013

I was having all the symptoms mentioned in the original post. Forscan reported an ABS DTC B1342 ECU internal fault.

I ordered a used ABS module/pump from Ebay for $160 plus shipping. I didn't need the pump, but when the module and pump are assembled it protects some delicate parts on the module during shipping.

I used Forscan with the paid subscription and a high quality ELM32 adapter to save the configuration of the old module.

I disconnected the -battery cable before removing the old module and installing the new module. A T20 Torx and small flat blade screwdriver are all the tools required. I removed the 4 screws and pulled the module off the pump before removing the connector. Being able to relocate the module allows better access to the connector. The flat blade screwdriver can be used to work the connector loose. The connector has two tabs you have to pinch together to release the lever that latches the connector to the module. When reinstalling, the two screws on the bottom of the module are more easily installed from underneath the vehicle.

After reconnecting the battery, I used Forscan to load the correct data back in to the module. The sequence that finally worked was to load the factory data, which Forscan can do if you are connected to the internet, using the "write all" feature, then load the saved data, also using the "write all" feature.

This worked for me.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:17 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dposey
I was having all the symptoms mentioned in the original post. Forscan reported....
This is the step that is needed first in any of the diagnosises, otherwise you're shooting in the dark.