2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Remote battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 PM
alumizilla
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Remote battery terminals

I haven't run cables to the battery yet, but I'm looking for feedback about this location. It was convenient to use the existing bolts and out of the way. I don't plan to do any off roading but I was just curious if there were any other potential issues that may come up that would make this a bad idea. It would primarily be used for emergency jumping if I ever get around to removing the lock cylinder and the battery dies.
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:02 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts
What's the intended purpose? For me, I'd want them in an area that's a little more protected which I guess could sort of defeat the purpose of accessible terminals...

Old 04-22-2020, 06:17 PM
powersrp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you drive in any snow, that will be a block of ice, in the grill is wear most towing companies put them, time to do sum fabbin and also an excuse to get out of the house.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM
alumizilla
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by powersrp
If you drive in any snow, that will be a block of ice, in the grill is wear most towing companies put them, time to do sum fabbin and also an excuse to get out of the house.
I saw a good spot in the grille but just having recently wrestled with that thing taking it off for the headlight upgrade, I'm not excited about going back in there yet. Good to know though. Might reconsider.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:30 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alumizilla
I saw a good spot in the grille but just having recently wrestled with that thing taking it off for the headlight upgrade, I'm not excited about going back in there yet. Good to know though. Might reconsider.
I recommend grill too. It's not bad to remove, Ive got it down to a few minutes. Zap out the plastic pins and off goes the shield, zip out those bolts, reach down with a large slotted screwdriver and it pops right off! I like the idea of remote terminals versus remote quick connect jumper cables. More useful in the scenario you described of dead battery and no lock cylinder, plus just makes jumping other vehicles faster access wise. Win-win.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:46 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts
Every time I take the grille out, I either break or lose a tab or 2 so, rest assured, it gets easier!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:54 PM
powersrp
Senior User
Heres an idea i used on my unimog to move winch front to back, I got a male and female big battery quick connectors, they may have been 8 or 10 gauge, wire to battery then the female connector tucks in grill or bumper, male connector on one end of jumper cable the other end leave the clamps on. the connectors were about an 1” tall by 2” long, easy to tuck in somewhere. I think snowplow use something similar. very heavy duty.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:59 PM
powersrp
Senior User
googled.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:14 PM
dieseldrew
Mountain Pass
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
In my experience with external terminals, especially if you live in the North where salt is used in Winter your going to have a corrosion problem with this even when somewhat protected installations. Corrosion seems to happen at a faster rate in these conditions when current (electric) is involved and in connections. If you have the luxury of living in Southern or Western Regions this won't be as much of a problem. Where I worked we had the quick connects like the ones pictured above and they were tried both on the front and the rear of different vehicles and treated with dielectric grease, fluid film, bearing grease, WD-40 and cable lube. there wasn't much difference in any position or application of the results. Corrosion ! This might be something to consider when picking a location and fixtures.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:55 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
I would use those Anderson connectors on a ~24" cable that is secured under the hood. Even better is if the cable was on a heavy duty relay that you could activate with an Upfitter switch.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Cornbred
Senior User

just get this

Old 04-22-2020, 09:06 PM
powersrp
Senior User
^^^^^^^^there ya go. me———-duhhhhhh. lol🤔

Old 04-22-2020, 09:06 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
The cable in the upper right corner of the picture posted above is what I'm talking about. That's exactly what I would do.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:58 PM
Cornbred
Senior User
That’s what I’ve always used (upper right) for connecting winches...this set-up was discussed on how to jump-off truck if battery is dead when using jimmy jammers and removing key lock cylinder. Forgot link in previous post...

https://www.amazon.com/TOPDC-Jumper-Cables-700Amp-Booster/dp/B078NSKCLZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=quick+connect+jumper+cables&qid=1587618200&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/TOPDC-Jumper-Cables-700Amp-Booster/dp/B078NSKCLZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=quick+connect+jumper+cables&qid=1587618200&sr=8-4

Old 04-23-2020, 07:36 AM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 444 Likes on 268 Posts
I haven't run cables to the battery yet, but I'm looking for feedback about this location. It was convenient to use the existing bolts and out of the way. I don't plan to do any off roading but I was just curious if there were any other potential issues that may come up that would make this a bad idea. It would primarily be used for emergency jumping if I ever get around to removing the lock cylinder and the battery dies.
Thanks!
Members have posted good solutions but if your goal is, as stated, to use it for emergency jumping when you are unable to get into your truck to pop the hood, your location should be fine. I would not use your location if I intended to use the remote connections every time I wanted to use jumper cables. Consider too that if the remote connection will be used only when the battery is too dead to activate the door locks, the remote connection does not need to be sized to jump the truck. It only needs to be large enough to power the door locks. Once you have access to the truck's interior, you can pop the hood and connect jumper cables directly to the battery.

Quick Reply: Remote battery terminals