1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

tank and sending/draw units

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 12:37 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking tank and sending/draw units

Ok boys -n- girls...here's the problem...as I am gathering up parts info to order parts to R+R tank sending/draw units and fill tubes/vent hoses, I am finding this: The available sending/units are for a 3.5 inch opening, the tanks on the 1984 f250 have 2 inch openings. Ok, so just replace the tanks...but all the suppliers indicate that the front 19 gallon tank for a 1985 f250 will NOT fit a 1984 f250. Haven't even asked about the rear tank as it still works, but thinking I'd like to replace the sending/draw unit also while the bed is off the truck. And then there is the possible issue of the fill tubes not being compatible...might have to completely replace all of those components. So...what's a poor boy supposed to do here? I just want to be able to go more than a hundred miles before I have to refuel... I have found tanks on CarParts.com at a reasonable price...
My truck is a 1984 F250 Fleetside 2WD 6.9idi T-19 trans. So, my question is this...will a side mount and rear mount 19 gallon tank from a 1985 F250 work on my 1984 F250? Will I have to change the fill tube neck and other components also? Or will my existing fill tube work. The deeper I dig...the more chit I find...Thx for all the replies!!!

Old 04-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,734 Likes on 1,404 Posts
The newer tanks will fit, filler necks and all. The reason they are saying they won't fit? Because the older sending unit is smaller. Of course you knew that. If you get the matching sending unit for the newer tank, you should be good. The only problem you may run into is the wiring plug to the later model sending unit may not fit your older harness plug. I saw the other day that LMC Truck had a whole bunch of wiring pigtails for sending units. But you will probably have to get your new sending units in hand to figure what you need and what you need to do.

You should be buying plain sending units with no pumps, but two fuel connections at the top, since the diesels run a return fuel system.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Ok...gets me closer to the nitty-gritty...LOL!!! Ok, my rear tank is working properly as well as the gauge...is there a method of reinforcing/strengthening that showerhead draw unit so it doesn't break? Thinking I'd take the sending unit out and tinker with the showerhead some ...try and make sure it doesn't break like the front one did.. Thx!!
Oh, suggestion on where to source the sending/draw units? LMC? One of the tank suppliers?

Old 04-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Franklin2
I think you already know this but to make sure, don't buy any sending unit newer than 1986. It will not be compatible with the gauge in the dash, Ford changed all that around in 1987.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM
ulmapache
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I think you already know this but to make sure, don't buy any sending unit newer than 1986. It will not be compatible with the gauge in the dash, Ford changed all that around in 1987.
I did not know that!!! Thanks!!! Is that info on a sticky somewhere? Might be a good idea to add it...

Old 04-21-2020, 01:34 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
One more question....will the "showerhead" strainers listed with 3/8th ID work on my '84? Thx!!!

https://www.gastankdepot.com/fmff1-d...-strainer.html

Old 04-21-2020, 01:39 PM
Franklin2
I don't know for sure, but I would think if your supply is 3/8" like mine is all the way up to the engine, you would think the pickup in the tank was 3/8" also. But you never know. Most guys don't bother with those shower head pickup units, the originals are famous for breaking off inside the tank. Most people just get submersion rated fuel hose, cut a short piece and put a vee in the end of it and let it be the pickup with no screen.

Mine is broke off my rear tank now, it runs out of fuel right below 1/4 tank. I can only get 10 gallons in it at the station. One of these days I will get in there and pull it out.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I don't know for sure, but I would think if your supply is 3/8" like mine is all the way up to the engine, you would think the pickup in the tank was 3/8" also. But you never know. Most guys don't bother with those shower head pickup units, the originals are famous for breaking off inside the tank. Most people just get submersion rated fuel hose, cut a short piece and put a vee in the end of it and let it be the pickup with no screen.

Mine is broke off my rear tank now, it runs out of fuel right below 1/4 tank. I can only get 10 gallons in it at the station. One of these days I will get in there and pull it out.
Ja, was going to do that, but then thought about all the crap at the bottom of tank...strainer might be a good idea to keep selector switch from getting jammed...and other issues from crap in fuel...wonder if there is some kind of filter that could be attached to the line with a hose clamp or other method... No such thing as too clean fuel...LOL!!!!

Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Yes...here we go again... Read somewhere that the fuel line clips that attach the fuel lines to the sending/draw units will break when you remove them...where can I source these? Or just go with "universal" type...available at NAPA, or?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Franklin2
Here's some. Parts stores may have them also in the HELP! section.

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-25-2020, 01:25 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Cool beans... Waiting for the rest of the parts to show up...decided to try and rebuild both sending/draw units...along with the fill tubes/vent tubes. Clips should be easy to source... Have 2 inch lock rings and o rings as well as the strainer showerheads on the way... Wish me luck!!!

Old 05-01-2020, 03:41 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Quick question...does the "showerhead" fuel pickup rest on the bottom of the tank, or should it dangle maybe a half inch above the bottom.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:16 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by ulmapache
Quick question...does the "showerhead" fuel pickup rest on the bottom of the tank, or should it dangle maybe a half inch above the bottom.
I don't know what this shower head looks like but if it has little (I will call them feet) so the opening can not sit on the bottom and cause an issue with suction I would keep it off the bottom 1/4" to 1/2"
This way it will not suck up junk and have issue with sucking up fuel.
Dave ----

Old 05-02-2020, 02:36 PM
ulmapache
Senior User
Here's what it looks like...

Old 05-03-2020, 07:24 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,853 Posts
Them little nibs on the bottom I don't think would hold it off the tank bottom enough so I would go 1/8" to 1/4" off the bottom to be safe.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: tank and sending/draw units