1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New Axle Options F250

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:03 AM
BlueWhiteFord
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New Axle Options F250

Alright,
so most of the regulars probably remember the whole Drama with my diff and that my axle is now basically junk. It works for now, but its I plan on stroking the 351 to 437 and add some other bits making the truck fun to drive. I do not trust my axle to keep together when I let the planned engine rip.

I plan on getting a new axle. I think I will stay with a Dana 60, but if anyone has a better suggestion I will definitely take that into account. It should definitely be a full float. I am kinda tired of not being able to get upgrades for an axle because it is semi float. Since I also plan on throwing one of those true tracks in it, it really needs to be a full float.

Another thing I ran into while searching for an Axle is the fact that I have a rear sway bar, but have not found many axles for sale with the mounts for it. Does anyone have an idea what to do about that?

So if anyone could point me into a direction for what my axle options are (like do Danas from other makes work), it be greatly appriciated.

Thank You

Old 04-15-2020, 07:50 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Your sway bar mounts are welded to the axle? My truck doesn't have it, but some of the smaller trucks I have messed with, the mounts to the axles were just clamps. So another axle with the same diameter tube always worked in those cases when I swapped axles.

The dana axles are good axles. What I don't like is doing brake jobs on them. The drum is behind the axle flange. You have to pull the axles, take the spanner nuts loose, and pull the complete hub and bearings to do a brake job. On my Ford/Sterling axle all I have to do is take the wheel off, and then pull the drum.

See if you can do some research and find out what year they made the Sterlings with the upgraded pinion shaft. The earlier Sterlings like I have (Mine is a 1989) had problems with the pinion nuts coming loose over time. At some later time (I don't know the exact year) they upgraded this area, making the pinion area of the axle longer lending more support for the pinion bearings and keeping the nut from coming loose. This type of axle is the one I would swap in if I could find one.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 AM
BlueWhiteFord
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Your sway bar mounts are welded to the axle? My truck doesn't have it, but some of the smaller trucks I have messed with, the mounts to the axles were just clamps. So another axle with the same diameter tube always worked in those cases when I swapped axles.

The dana axles are good axles. What I don't like is doing brake jobs on them. The drum is behind the axle flange. You have to pull the axles, take the spanner nuts loose, and pull the complete hub and bearings to do a brake job. On my Ford/Sterling axle all I have to do is take the wheel off, and then pull the drum.

See if you can do some research and find out what year they made the Sterlings with the upgraded pinion shaft. The earlier Sterlings like I have (Mine is a 1989) had problems with the pinion nuts coming loose over time. At some later time (I don't know the exact year) they upgraded this area, making the pinion area of the axle longer lending more support for the pinion bearings and keeping the nut from coming loose. This type of axle is the one I would swap in if I could find one.
Thanks for the input!

Are you talking about the 10.25 or the 10.5 Axle?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,403 Posts
The 10.25 axle. You can't go beyond 1998. In 1999 when the superduty came out they went to a metric lug pattern on the wheels. Here's a link to a article I found. They say the little better axle is 1993-1998.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...nch-axle-tips/

Like I said the dana 60 axle is a good axle also. If you don't mind tearing the whole thing apart to work on the brakes. I guess you don't have to do it that often. Where you live I wouldn't think you would have many choices.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I was going to suggest the Sterling 10.25" as well. (But it's only up to '97. There were no '98 F-250HD or F-350s.) The Dana 60 is a good axle, but the Sterling is better.

On the sway bar, I'd try without it. Most F-250s are pretty stiff to begin with. Especially if you have a front sway bar you might actually prefer it without the rear.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:24 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Go with the Ford 10.25, they are readily available, easy to work on, parts are cheap compared to a Dana 70 or 80 and they are way stronger than a Dana 60. A Dana 60 belongs in the front of an HD truck not the rear.