Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

ABS trouble ... F53 .....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 10:34 PM
xtal_01
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ABS trouble ... F53 .....

I have a 1999 RV with an F53 chassis ....

I have been trying to get ready for a Christmas trip to see relatives .....

So, after fixing the furnace ... putting in new o2 sensors (fixing stripped threads) ... fixing an antifreeze leak ... a bunch of other little issues ... two weeks work in sub zero weather .... I thought I was ready to go.

Took the RV out to get propane and gas ... no brakes!

Played a bit and found that brakes work great at 0-5 mph range ... and above 30 mph .... at 5 - 20 I have to use two feet to push down on the peddle .... I can feel the abs fighting me.

I did some searching ... found a Ford video (for a car) ... said it was a wheel sensor failure.

Scanned and got an error code C1184 (Excessive Isolation Valve Failure) ... Just for the fun of it, I tried replacing the sensor on the rear diff ....

Now I get a new code ... C1158 (Left front wheel speed sensor).

I see a few places listing "left front" .... are the left and right the same? What is the Ford part number?

Bolt holding it in is rounded off and almost completely rusted away (I have never touched it) .... don't know what I am going to do to fix this one!

Any suggestions on what the problem is (other than the sensor) or how to replace this sensor?

I don't even see the valve listed anywhere ... any idea of a part number?

Thanks ..... Mike

Old 12-23-2019, 08:50 AM
xtal_01
Tuned
I am even more confused this morning ...

Trying to find the sensors ...

NAPA lists them (UP 530915) .... same for both sides ... but they don't look like mine .... large plastic blocks ...

Rock Auto list a left front only (NTK ... AB1436) ... looks correct ... but 1) when I check on a different site it says this is for a 2002 - 2003 F53 2) they don't list the right

HELP!

Thanks .... Mike

Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Well, first, let's work on the theory of operation, and how much the Ford system is a lot like the Chevy/GM system, because it's really a Kelsey-Hayes ABS unit.

Chevy had what is known as a TSB in Ford-land for exactly the same type of ABS issues you're having.

What happened was, the knuckle under the sensor would rust. The corrosion would force the sensor away from the tone ring, and the ABS system would lose the signal from that wheel sensor. Because it was on the hairy edge, sometimes it would work, especially at low speeds, sometimes it wouldn't. Of course, the ABS system sees this as a wheel locked up, and would go active.

The simple way to solve this "for now" is: Pull the ABS fuse, or disconnect the master cylinder float sensor - without that float sensor connected, the ABS should go into fault mode.

Now, how do we fix this? Well, get a digital volt meter, set it to AC volts. Check the voltage at the ABS sensor (with it disconnected from the vehicle, while spinning the wheel. With the wheel spinning at a good clip, even by hand, you should see .2-.3 volts at the sensor. If it's less than .2, you have a problem like I described above - the sensor isn't generating enough signal. Either because it's too far away from the tone-ring, or there's too much rust/metal on the tip of it.

Looking at what you have, the only way out of this is to try to get a Vice-grips on that head and see if it'll come loose - I bet it won't, and will have to be drilled and easy-outed.

Right and left sensors should be physically the same, the only thing that might be different is the wire on it might be a different length.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:16 PM
xtal_01
Tuned
Thanks!

So any idea on what the correct sensor is?

I did some calling today ... seems no one around here has a clue ... one "looks" right but has the wrong number ... one has the right numbers but looks wrong.

Mike

Old 12-23-2019, 02:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Yeah, I can't really say what the correct sensors are... I just know from working with the Kelsey-Hayes system that when they get dirty or corrosion gets under the mount-point, that things start getting hairy

before you do anything, I would certainly check the voltage.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:24 AM
doge2damoon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your Problem solved?

Originally Posted by xtal_01
Thanks!

So any idea on what the correct sensor is?

I did some calling today ... seems no one around here has a clue ... one "looks" right but has the wrong number ... one has the right numbers but looks wrong.

Mike

I’m just curious if you found a solution to this as I’m experiencing the same exact issues on my 1999 Gulfstream with the F53. I need a left front abs sensor and it’s damn near impossible to find and double the cost of the passenger side

Old 05-27-2021, 08:46 AM
xtal_01
Tuned
Yep ... fixed it !

Hey!

Yep .. Ford and local dealer were stumped .... found the clue on a YouTube video (saw a similar problem on a Mercury Marque) ... parts obsolete.

Went on Ebay ... found a left and right ... took a day to get the little retainer bolt out (didn't want to break it and I drive my RV in winter salt up here in Vermont and Canada) .....

Put the new ones in ... works great!!!!!!!!

Have not traveled since the epidemic but just tried it a week ago (had to move it so took it down the road and back .... still working!

When they open the boarder I plan on running up to Canada to see my mom (lives in Canada ... 82 ... boarder has been closed for a year and a half now).

Mike

Old 05-27-2021, 08:55 AM
doge2damoon
New User
Hey!

Yep .. Ford and local dealer were stumped .... found the clue on a YouTube video (saw a similar problem on a Mercury Marque) ... parts obsolete.

Went on Ebay ... found a left and right ... took a day to get the little retainer bolt out (didn't want to break it and I drive my RV in winter salt up here in Vermont and Canada) .....

Put the new ones in ... works great!!!!!!!!

Have not traveled since the epidemic but just tried it a week ago (had to move it so took it down the road and back .... still working!

When they open the boarder I plan on running up to Canada to see my mom (lives in Canada ... 82 ... boarder has been closed for a year and a half now).

Mike
So with eBay did it list it for 1999 specifically because with most I see listed the pictures don’t usually look like ours. Usually when I search 2002 f53 abs it looks like ours. Weird….
can you confirm that the sensors are actually different between left and right or is it just harness length? Also what did you do to get the old rusty retainer bolt out?
Glad to hear at least there are solutions haha!

Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 AM
xtal_01
Tuned
hmmm ... I will have to look for pictures .....

So, I actually got these as NOS from a guys who had them for sale on ebay. I found them by making sure they had the correct part number. As you said, the later ones (that the local NAPA said would fit) look nothing like ours and will not work.

I honesty don't remember why a right and left but it may be something in the coil ornamentation ... I know I took pictures ... just have to find them.

The bolt .... put a wench on it ... and tapped while turning .... and I was very very careful ... took an hour a bolt (then had to "punch out" the sensor. The combination of tapping and turning did it.

I put stainless steel bolts in when I replaced them ... plus anti seize on the sensors.

Just FYI ... I found it hard to imagine someone would say "well parts are obsolete, just get a new RV" ... but just a month ago same thing. My neighbor has a skid steer (about 15 years old) .. glow plugs died (three of four) ... obsolete part ... he was told to get a new skid steer! Found him the parts (got lucky and found an obscure cross reference for the same engine used in a forklift ... had different #'s but the same part).

It is hard for me to imagine they would not make a critical part that would cause you to scrap a vehicle!

Mike

PS .... it will not pass safety inspection. but I was told you could pull the fuse out of the ABS unit and it will be drivable ... never tried this

Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 AM
doge2damoon
New User
So, I actually got these as NOS from a guys who had them for sale on ebay. I found them by making sure they had the correct part number. As you said, the later ones (that the local NAPA said would fit) look nothing like ours and will not work.

I honesty don't remember why a right and left but it may be something in the coil ornamentation ... I know I took pictures ... just have to find them.

The bolt .... put a wench on it ... and tapped while turning .... and I was very very careful ... took an hour a bolt (then had to "punch out" the sensor. The combination of tapping and turning did it.

I put stainless steel bolts in when I replaced them ... plus anti seize on the sensors.

Just FYI ... I found it hard to imagine someone would say "well parts are obsolete, just get a new RV" ... but just a month ago same thing. My neighbor has a skid steer (about 15 years old) .. glow plugs died (three of four) ... obsolete part ... he was told to get a new skid steer! Found him the parts (got lucky and found an obscure cross reference for the same engine used in a forklift ... had different #'s but the same part).

It is hard for me to imagine they would not make a critical part that would cause you to scrap a vehicle!

Mike

PS .... it will not pass safety inspection. but I was told you could pull the fuse out of the ABS unit and it will be drivable ... never tried this

Hey thanks a ton Mike for the info. If you happen to come by the pictures or the part numbers you referenced I’d appreciate it!

It’s always crazy how things get labeled as obsolete but where there’s a will there’s a way. No way a stupid sensor is going to keep me from continuing to enjoy my solid coach.

You are correct the coach is driveable with the light on just no abs for emergency situations which is why I’d rather get it fixed not just for inspection.