Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

ABS Sensor Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
gdombroski
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Sensor Problem?

Have 93 Explorer 4WD and the ABS light is on. Wondering if it could be due to a bad or imporperly connected sensor. Under normal drive stop conditions brakes OK with no pull. If wet/icy or emergency stop the left front brake locks as it would without ABS while the others seem to make an ABS assist stop. But, I've read that if light is on system is shut down on all brakes. It doesn't seem like that is happening on mine. So is it possible that replacing the left front sensor is all it needs? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
thelonerangerxlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gdom, it takes a special scanner to read ABS codes, so it might be easier and cheaper to just replace sensors to fix it. Chances are it's the rear differential sensor that's bad. It's also the cheapest, and very easy to replace, so I'd start with that one. It'll take more time and effort to jack up the vehicle for access, than it will to change the sensor. One bolt and it's out, and the sensor costs about $35, IIRC.

If you're not lucky and the light is still on, then I'd buy a front wheel sensor and change it out. I believe the sensor is the same on both wheels, so you can switch it to either side if necessary. The front sensors are more expensive, over $100.

You can also check the sensors with an ohmmeter; a bad one will read infinite resistance or an open. A good one will show a lesser resistance value.

After fixing it, you will need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ABS warning light.

Good luck,
TLR