1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Now the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 02:47 PM
Red60
Cargo Master
Received 370 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnNewb
Yes. I found through Cleggs a complete kit for the 223. Since I don't need pistons it lowered price to $750, no tax, free shipping. If it was a truck for the highway the 292 would be my first choice. For this old dump truck, the six will be fine. I am amazed it ran at all. Low compression, burned valve, one cam lobe worn round, timing chain shot. If I get the whopping 139 hp back it will feel like a rocket. A friend saw an ad for running 292 for $500. I would want to go through it too while out of truck so would be out lots more, I think.
If the motor was as out of tune as you have been using it, I'm sure a fully running motor will be AWESOME!

Burning on all 6 LOL

BMC

Old 01-12-2020, 01:03 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by spurredon
I know the feeling but what I get done I know is sometimes right!
Too cold and windy to wash parts but I did receive my shop manual yesterday. USPS only took one week to get it from Los Angeles to the high desert, but it is almost three hours away.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:56 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 771 Likes on 689 Posts
That book won't look like that for long! LOL

Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
My wife finally got me to wear 7 mil gloves when working so maybe I can minimize greasy hand prints. Received most of my parts yesterday. Remaining parts from another warehouse due here Wednesday. Cold or not, have to get everything cleaned up. Buddy says I need assembly lube and break in oil with zinc. I'm thinking I should spring for a spin on oil filter adapter. Have one new cartridge in stock but at this point that is minor.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:33 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

I really like the look of the canister filter but I ended up going to spin on since it is less effort.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
I agree, the canister does look good. Think I'll bead blast it and paint it to match valve cover. Purple Power oil my buddy recommended is run for five hundred miles. That could mean I won't need another filter any time soon. Received the rest of my parts today. Have to start new post about my parts source. Great company.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 AM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
I agree, the canister does look good. Think I'll bead blast it and paint it to match valve cover. Purple Power oil my buddy recommended is run for five hundred miles. That could mean I won't need another filter any time soon. Received the rest of my parts today. Have to start new post about my parts source. Great company.
Don't see a vendor review forum so going to plug them here. My dream of hone, rings, rod bearings fell apart quickly so started searching for overhaul kits. Complete kits from $909 -$1400. Cleggs Engine lowest price. Buddy found individual pricing on Ebay for $660 from many sources. When I checked shipping, prices skyrocketed ($86 to ship cam kit). Clegg's listed all their kits with $14 shipping. They also indicated kits as customizable. So, with dropping pistons and wrist pins from master kit price dropped to $750, no shipping, no sales tax. I sent email for quote but too impatient to wait so called. Guy there said he had just sent email quote but wanted to talk about it. I asked for 1960 kit. He said some internals changed by end of 1960 into early 1960's so wanted block numbers before processing order. We verified early 1960 date codes, standard sizes, etc. This was about 3:30 Friday afternoon his time. He said order would ship from multiple warehouses so some woukd arrive Monday, rest by Wednesday. I thought sure, I bet not but needed to clean everything so no worry. Everything minus one part arrived Monday, remaining part Tuesday. Everything well packed and correct. I found soft plugs in box although I had deleted those as buddy thought he had some. I called to see if I owed him for those and he said he threw them in because they were cheap and thought I would need them. Great people to deal with and unlike some companies, their website is easy to deal with. Tieson that helped me was very helpful and knowledgeable. I highly recommend Clegg's Engine.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Sounds like he knows what he is talking about with being aware of the changes in 1960. Always fun to get so many pkgs.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
More fun to receive than to pay for.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Red60
Cargo Master
Received 370 Likes on 291 Posts
More fun to receive than to pay for.
Late gifts are always fun! Its driving my family crazy which an unexpected bonus...

Old 01-17-2020, 01:07 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
Can't really call these parts gifts. Visa bill next thing to arrive.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 AM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
Got half a valve job done. Had to order exhaust valves. Number four had one edge burned away. Small wonder compression only 36 in that cylinder. Same neighbor with valve grinding machine loaned me his cam bearing tool so I pressed out the old cam bearings. Now I have another problem. There are two pipe plugs I need to remove to clean the camshaft oil passage. The one behind engine stand came out. The one in front the hex stripped out. Don't know if I should try ez out or similar? I want to run a long brush through that passage.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Fortunate to have a neighbor with shop tools. I ground mine by hand, sure took awhile. I also replaced two exhaust valves. I was able to borrow a cam bearing puller thru the local high school since I knew a teacher. Does that stripped plug stick out enough to weld something to it?

Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
Yes. I thought of welding an alken wrench in the hole.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Pipe plug

I have had better luck by drilling progressively larger holes then with a square internal pipe easy out. By drilling it relieves the outer pressure and makes the plug easy to remove.

Quick Reply: Now the Engine