Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Am Screwed!!!

Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I Am Screwed!!!

OK, I have been out, and trying to install the ignition switch on the column. Everything looks right, but I still get NO SPRINGBACK!

There was also a wire that came with the switch, what in the world is that thing for??

If it's the rod......what does it take to fix it?????? I have zero exp. with this kind of repair.

Please, can someone give me a little insight here?????!!?

Old 10-09-2003, 08:59 PM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
ttt

Old 10-09-2003, 09:03 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
What exactly did you do? can you put up a pc? Did you change the switch or the lock cylinder?

Old 10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
I changed the "tumbler", which I believe is the lock cylinder. And the ignition switch, located down on the column, with the large harness plug-in.

Thanks.....my temper is cooling off now.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:24 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
I don't know what the wire would be for but the place that the "spring back" comes from is the switch down on the column.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
Cool

I am thinking it must be the assembly up in the column.

I already have the steering wheel off, so now I have to wait another week, to be able to buy the parts, and I have only had the truck home a few weeks, and haven't gotten a manual yet. So, between now and next week, if anyone has any pointers that could make all of this a little easier, bring it on, and thanks for the help......I really like this site!

The funny thing is, that I passed up working on the Mustang tonight, because I have to pull the upper plenum and fuel rail to change the fuel pressure regulator on it, thnking this would be an easier project!!

O well, I think I am going to go sleep on it.

Thanks again....
Mike

Last edited by kermitstang86; 10-09-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Maybe this will help.

Can you take the switch off the column and turn the ignition switch? Does the rod move? That should tell you if it's something in the actuator up in the steering wheel or something wrong with the way you put the ignition switch on.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:15 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Take the switch and make sure it has the spring back in it. The only thing the lock does is make it so it can't be stolen. The only thing the rod dos is transfer motion. If the switch has the spring then maybe the rod is binding for some reason.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
The wire is probably the key in lock buzzer switch.

Old 10-10-2003, 08:18 AM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
Cool Seek and ye shall find...

Bubba Shrimp---
Thanks for the link......after some searching, I ended up in the F-450 repair manual, which has the same system I believe.

That wire is to keep the ignition switch set where it should be for adjustment purposes, when installing it.

So the springback is in the switch itself? OK. I will see what I can do with that info tonight when I get home from work.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
No_BS
Senior User
Wow, mine just did the same thing yesterday morning after it had been sitting waiting for calipers, needless to say it really ticked me off that once the brakes were finnaly done it just had to have something stupid like this happen, haven't driven it all week.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:35 AM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
Bummer

Yeah it's a pain.

I am still not sure that this will cure my problems though.

Is the actuator a dealer item??

My Father-in-law gave this truck to me. Like you said, mine's been sitting awhile too.

I had the truck tuned and ready to go. Took her her up to the gas station, and on the way back, for no readily apparent reason, she started cutting out.

20 minutes later I got it started again, and started cruising down the road, and cut out again. No backfiring, no sputtering, no spark knock, no smoke.

I do this grind two more times, and when I am less than 200 yards from the in-law's house, the tumbler loses it's springback, and I am stuck in neutral.

I lose the priming to the fuel pump, and though I have all of my accessories (lights, fuel gauges, temp gauge, radio), I can't get it to turn over. I can jump the solenoid, and she turns over, but won't start. I thought that maybe the high pressure pump went, and while hitting the key so many times trying to get it started it toasted the igntition switch.

So I figured I would start at the tumbler, then the switch, and go on from there......

But the more I am digging, the less certain I am of what the actual problem is.

Last edited by kermitstang86; 10-10-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 AM
DeathRowe
Senior User
hey buddy. i think i had the exact problem you have. i turned the key forward and it wouldnt turn back one day. and after that, when i turned it forward, nothing even happened. i dont know if you fixed it yet or what, but ill tell you what i had to do. take the steering wheel off. take the shrouds for the colums off. when you turn the key, does the little rod thing move? if there is alot of play in it, then i know whats wrong. if youre still having problems, let me know and ill help you out. i dont want anyone else to have to go through the crap that i had to! thanks.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:51 PM
kermitstang86
Freshman User
You're right

The rod is supposed two have two legs. One for the ignition switch, and one for the shift lever lock. The lower leg is broken off on mine, and allowed rod to float with respect to the lock.

So, I have it all apart now, and am curious as to if the rod is a dealer item, or an aftermarket.......

I agree with you, this is so over complicated!

Old 10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
I believe you can get the part from the "Help" section at Autozone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Am Screwed!!!