2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Never Buying Morimoto Again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 PM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Never Buying Morimoto Again.

Lemme just give you a brief history of why no one here should buy the stupid Morimoto XB headlights. I am a EXTREMELY unhappy camper.

The headlights look absolutely gorgeous! They're bright as hell, my only somewhat complaint about the aesthetics is that they don't really light the ditches very well.

but it ends there....

As most of us who ordered these guys, I waited what... 6 months for the headlights to finally arrive? Being pushed back, constantly, deadlines missed etc. I am unsure if this is TRS's fault or Morimoto but I'd believe it to be Morimoto.

Right out of the box one segment of the orange (turn) led's was out on the drivers (left) side. Should be an easy warranty claim right? Wrong. Wait a few more months for another set of headlights to arrive.

MEANWHILE.... these headlights have a known flaw that they shake while driving down the road. 'fixable' by adjusting them back a few clicks they claim, but should we really be having to jerry rig a 1500 dollar set of headlights?

It doesn't end there. 2 months in my right side headlight goes completely out. I wasn't driving at night much so I just let it ride until I had a chance to investigate. I figured the BCM had triggered an overcurrent and I had to reset it. Few weeks later, I finally get to it, and low and behold its not the BCM's fault... the harnesses going from the stock truck wiring to the new headlights is faulty and cannot maintain a proper connection. Thought I got that under control by reseating them. Things were fine for awhile.

Now lets fast forward to about a month ago, maybe 6 weeks now. The new sets of headlights were coming in, and TRS needs the serial number from my existing left headlight to honor the claim on the headlight with the orange segment out. Meanwhile, I explain to them the issue with the right headlight going out, and the faulty harness..... They have no problems shipping me a new harness. New harness arrives a couple days later, was planning on waiting for install when the new headlight comes in, do it all at once right?

About 2 weeks ago now, I was 2 hours away from home at night, and BOTH (YES BOTH) headlights go out within about 10 minutes of each other ON THE FREEWAY. About a mile later (trying to limp by the streetlights) ONE of the headlights comes back on for a minute or two and goes back out. I was only a quarter mile from my destination at the time. I stopped and proceeded to bang on the headlights and the right one comes back on. Left one completely inop. By sheer luck I guess I make it two hours home on one headlight that could go out at ANY time. (Keep in mind this is a night of severe thunderstorms too, lemme tell ya). I wrote TRS a nasty email about that (i know its not their fault and I blamed morimoto but its principle for me)

Next day, I pull things apart, Inspected the left harness, wasn't making a very good contact, so I took the replacement harness originally intended for the right side and put it in the left. Well, the new harness was completely inoperable, wouldn't make contact AT ALL. At this point, TRS finally gets back to me, informs me they will ship two more harnesses, and that the replacement headlight for the bad led segment was in the mail.

So this week, big box of 'happiness' shows up on my porch. FULL SET OF HEADLIGHTS. ( I only ordered the left one ) hmmmm??????? New harnesses come in. Seems like we're good to go right? Even if they sent me an extra headlight on accident! *hahahahahahahaha~*

Yeah, no.

I open the box tonight. I should have known. They sent me a full set of F-150 headlights. Now not only am I ticked off at Morimoto, but I am now very disappointed in TRS. I know TRS takes care of its people, and they've been more than helpful in this whole thing, but this is beyond ridiculous. I can't ever recommend ANYONE go through this crap that I am right now. I just want a reliable set of headlights. Stockers are going back in tonight I think.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 PM
briangp
Tuned
Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
That sucks. Thanks for sharing for the rest of us in the market for headlights. It seems a lot of these aftermarket headlights for our trucks have some series issues. Maybe I'll just be happy with my Beamtech bulbs in stock halogen enclosures for now.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:07 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Received 626 Likes on 373 Posts
for the money you guys are shelling out on these things, why not just spend a little more and get the ones that work great in our trucks? I think the company that makes them is Ford, and the part number is OEM? ill have to look through some of the threads but that sounds right.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:54 PM
white_dc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear all the issues you are having. One of the headlight builders on FB had told me his initial impressions of the Morimoto headlights months before they were released. He knew several guys that were testing the product prior to the release and they were having lots of problems with some on their 2nd and 3rd sets.

I had such a PITA time with their conversion harnesses on the super duty, I probably wouldnt buy another product from them again either.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by JHForman812
for the money you guys are shelling out on these things, why not just spend a little more and get the ones that work great in our trucks? I think the company that makes them is Ford, and the part number is OEM? ill have to look through some of the threads but that sounds right.
Wow you’re a genius.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 PM
briangp
Tuned
Yes. Let me get another set of headlights that I already have that suck, scatter light, and glare at oncoming traffic. Makes complete sense, right? I'm sorry that you spent all your money on your truck and can't afford upgrades.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:30 PM
briangp
Tuned
Originally Posted by white_dc
Sorry to hear all the issues you are having. One of the headlight builders on FB had told me his initial impressions of the Morimoto headlights months before they were released. He knew several guys that were testing the product prior to the release and they were having lots of problems with some on their 2nd and 3rd sets.

I had such a PITA time with their conversion harnesses on the super duty, I probably wouldnt buy another product from them again either.
The headlights are really amazing to look at and sit behind in the driver's seat, but man their quality control is a 4 letter word that starts with S and ends in HIT.

Frustrating. For the first time tonight I actually managed to get both headlights working with a new working harness.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:53 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 399 Likes on 265 Posts
OP, that SUCKS. the shipping screw up is super sucky but the intent was there,,,right? lol. i tried to give Morimoto the benefit of the doubt up until their "fix" was adjusting the headlights to fix the shake. Thats just BS lol. TRS sells great retrofit products

yea let me get those fancy fx4 shocks too please. smh.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 PM
briangp
Tuned
Originally Posted by honda250xtitan
OP, that SUCKS. the shipping screw up is super sucky but the intent was there,,,right? lol. i tried to give Morimoto the benefit of the doubt up until their "fix" was adjusting the headlights to fix the shake. Thats just BS lol. TRS sells great retrofit products
Yeah I've always stood behind TRS in the past, and I told the last guy on the phone that I have no doubt they're losing their *** on these headlights, he wouldn't directly acknowledge it though. Was pretty easy to put together through the two guys I talked to on the phone. Other guy was quick to admit theyve had issues with the harnesses. It's a shame. The shipping mixup was seriously the straw that broke it for me. Morimoto needs to step up their game. I hate that TRS had to be the middle man.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:09 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by briangp
Yes. Let me get another set of headlights that I already have that suck, scatter light, and glare at oncoming traffic. Makes complete sense, right? I'm sorry that you spent all your money on your truck and can't afford upgrades.
for the money you spent on a set of lights from them, you could have bought a set of factory ones that would have worked like they are supposed to. im sorry youre all hurt over this but the factory option would have been the best option. I don't need some aftermarket light that cost more than the factory option(which I have), my factory LED lights work great. and you don't know my financial situation, I can easily afford upgrades.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Another option, although from the same source, would be the OEM LED conversion. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/fo...ect_restrict=1

Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ForCal
Another option, although from the same source, would be the OEM LED conversion. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/fo...ect_restrict=1

careful suggesting that youll get chastised

Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 AM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I’m in a similar but not as bad situation. Just got a whole new set due to:
- passenger side shake. Was told this has been fixed, haven’t driven at night so we will see
- drivers side low beams intermittently going out. When I switch the high beams on, they come back on.

i switched out the pair and everything worked. Yesterday the drivers side low beam lights went out again, this time at start up. Popped the hood and started feeling around For connections, and they came back on. What are the chances that it’s the harness on the same side as the last pair?
Ive still got the old pair here, how easy are they to switch out and could I take the harness from the other side that never had an issue.
i was starting to think it was the truck wiring somewhere until I saw this thread.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 AM
JHForman812
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by PatsfanTN
Well I’m in a similar but not as bad situation. Just got a whole new set due to:
- passenger side shake. Was told this has been fixed, haven’t driven at night so we will see
- drivers side low beams intermittently going out. When I switch the high beams on, they come back on.

i switched out the pair and everything worked. Yesterday the drivers side low beam lights went out again, this time at start up. Popped the hood and started feeling around For connections, and they came back on. What are the chances that it’s the harness on the same side as the last pair?
Ive still got the old pair here, how easy are they to switch out and could I take the harness from the other side that never had an issue.
i was starting to think it was the truck wiring somewhere until I saw this thread.

Could you guys, including the OP buy the pin crimping tool and recrimp the terminals? Also when I build harnesses for LS engines, I will crimp and solder the terminals. I know you guys paid a lot of money for these, it sounds like there’s some QC issues in the harness builds, so I’d understand not wanting to bother messing with the harnesses on your own since you shouldn’t have to, but it sounds like the harnesses are the issue mostly?

Quick Reply: Never Buying Morimoto Again.