Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

A warning beep problem with my 2002 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Geocritter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A warning beep problem with my 2002 Escape

I was hoping someone on this forum, more knowledgeable of any inherent quirks in the early Ford Escapes, can help me with an annoying problem that cropped up about a week ago with the 2002 Escape I’ve recently acquired. I’ll start by describing the problem and what I’ve done so far:

About 30 seconds after I start my Escape, a series of 5 beeps begins followed by a short pause and another series of 5 beeps. This will go on for two to three beep cycles after which it ends until the next time I start my engine. Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep –pause—beep, beep, beep, beep, beep—pause—beep, beep, beep, beep, beep and usually at the end of two to three beep cycles it ends.

I tried plugging in my OBD-II reader but got no information, it didn’t even light up, there was nothing. I know the code reader works okay because I used it just a few weeks ago on another car.

The dash warning lights turn on when I start the car but they all turn off right away as is normal. There is one thing that may be abnormal, I just don’t have enough experience with the car to know for certain. When I first start the engine all of the instruments peg, but then immediately drop back to normal. It’s not something I’m used to seeing on other cars I’ve owned.

I always wear my seat belt and it doesn’t seem to matter whether or not I click the belt before or after I start the engine or even put the key in the ignition, the beeping starts up with 30 seconds of starting the car.

I’ve made certain nothing is resting on the front passenger seat, but just to make certain I engaged the seat belt on the passenger side.

About a week ago I completely removed the rear seat(s) and put it in storage. Currently, I have a dog crate strapped down where the wider drivers side rear seat was located.

I’ve checked through the fuses and haven’t found any burned out fuses.

FWIW my Escape has 196,000 miles on it and is a 4X4 with a V6 engine. I reviewed 25 pages of threads on this forum before I posted my question here.

That’s about all the information I can shed on this annoying mystery. If anyone has any questions or ideas please speak up.

Steve

Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
That one is actually in your owner's manual..

Old 08-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Geocritter
Junior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
That one is actually in your owner's manual..
Thank you for responding. As for the owners manual, the only copy I have is an online copy. While I didn't read the manual end to end I did spend a good deal of time trying to look up the problem and read through a selection of about 10 pages I found in the index, I also searched through a Chilton's manual. In other words I did look for an answer. If you would be kind enough to give me a page reference I'll be glad to take it from there.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The gauge sweep when you first start the engine is normal - it’s part of the clusters self-test mode.

Pay particular attention to the top left area of the cluster during the self-test - you’re looking for the air bag indicator light. If it’s not on during the self test, the bulb is out and the beeping you hear is the alert to this. It will continue until you replace the bulb.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
Originally Posted by Geocritter
Thank you for responding. As for the owners manual, the only copy I have is an online copy. While I didn't read the manual end to end I did spend a good deal of time trying to look up the problem and read through a selection of about 10 pages I found in the index, I also searched through a Chilton's manual. In other words I did look for an answer. If you would be kind enough to give me a page reference I'll be glad to take it from there.

Thanks again,
Steve
See airbag section.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Geocritter
Junior User
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
The gauge sweep when you first start the engine is normal - it’s part of the clusters self-test mode.

Pay particular attention to the top left area of the cluster during the self-test - you’re looking for the air bag indicator light. If it’s not on during the self test, the bulb is out and the beeping you hear is the alert to this. It will continue until you replace the bulb.
Thank you for enlightening me about the instrument self-test, and the AB indicator light. I had a Dodge Caravan that started behaving similarly and it turned out o be a battery going bad. It'd act weird until the alternator kicked in and supplied the proper voltage. I'm going hiking this morning and so it may be a day or two until I properly check into the problem (I live in far SE Arizona and this time of the year it's often just too damned hot mid-day to work on anything).

Thanks again for your help.
Steve

Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Geocritter
Junior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
See airbag section.
Thank you for your continued help with this problem I've been having.

Steve

Old 08-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Geocritter
Junior User
Originally Posted by DBGrif91

FWIW per your suggestion I looked for the air bag indicator light when I started the car this morning and it appears that you nailed the problem. The AB indicator light never went on. I'm hoping to search out the problem this weekend starting with the bulb. The area's been going through a heat wave here in SE Arizona and while not as bad as Tucson or Phoenix it's still pretty hot!

Steve

Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Geocritter
FWIW per your suggestion I looked for the air bag indicator light when I started the car this morning and it appears that you nailed the problem. The AB indicator light never went on. I'm hoping to search out the problem this weekend starting with the bulb. The area's been going through a heat wave here in SE Arizona and while not as bad as Tucson or Phoenix it's still pretty hot!

Steve
A work light and a cold 12 pack makes working after dark much easier.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Geocritter
Junior User
This is just a follow-up. The summer heat is finally relenting and so yesterday morning I pulled the instrument cluster and replaced the bulb for the airbag light. It worked! The annoying beep beep beep is finally gone. Thanks again for helping me clear up this annoying problem.

Steve