2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New F450

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 05:48 PM
scottz99
More Turbo
Received 172 Likes on 112 Posts
New F450

I just picked up a 2019 F450; still getting to know the truck. So far it is a great truck and is a fantastic pulling machine. I didn't do enough research on the "Tow Technology Bundle" which includes the "ultimate trailer tow camera"; thought I'd pass on a couple things I have found out in case someone else is looking at the package.

I assumed that the back up camera for the trailer was wireless. It is not. To make it work, you have to purchase (about $385) and install a wiring harness the length of your trailer; then you can add the camera (another $350+). It would be a total pain to install this cable from my pin box, through the belly the length of RV and then try to fish it up the rear cap. I guess I will stick with the wireless camera and display that I already have. I was excited about getting it incorporated into the Ford display but not going to happen at this time. Another note; the Ford camera only works in reverse. There are times I like to look behind the RV while traveling forward.

The "trailer tire pressure monitoring system" uses the same harness along with a receiver box mounted to the RV frame. I'm not clear if the receiver and tire sensors are included in the harness kit. It does not matter because I'm still not motivated to install the wiring harness. In addition, Ford does not put pressure sensors in the 19.5" tires so even if I installed this system it would not monitor the truck tires. Once again, I'll install my aftermarket TPMS kit which monitors the truck and RV tires; another display stuck to the dash that I thought I was going to get rid of.

Finally, there is supposed to be an additional connector (I've seen photos on line) in the bed next to the 7-way to plug this wiring harness into. In spite of having the above mentioned packages, my truck does not have this connector. So, even if I installed the wiring harness, I would have no place to plug it into. I discussed it with the dealer who was surprised and looked at the other trucks they have. He said the F350's have it, the F450's don't. (I can't verify; about 350 miles to the dealer.) Anyone have any ideas why I don't have this connector? I suspect the wiring is in place up under the spare tire and I am just lacking the proper harness and connector going up to the bed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the truck; just thought I'd pass this info on. I know, don't rely on the dealer or salesman to know this stuff. Honestly, I can't blame the dealer, I never actually asked if the trailer rear view camera and trailer TPMS was wireless; just a poor assumption on my part, but I would have bought the truck anyway.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:05 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice truck! I even like the color.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
You should have gotten a box with the camera, wire harness, and the different plug.
Send you loose the flat 4 wire connector when you install the camera connector you should have a 6 X 4 adaptor in the box also.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The Trailer Cam is an option on the F350, just like it is on the F450. Without the option, the bed connector on the F350 is simply the 7-pin connector assuming the 5th wheel prep option was selected. I agree using the cable is fairly useless IMO with a 5th wheel - most that have done so with a 5er have had to buy a cable extension as the cable that comes with the trailer camera option as it isn't long enough for most 5ers. Go with a wireless option - my 5er was pre-setup for the LCI camera and works great but there are several other brands available.
Nice truck BTW. Waiting for my F450 to come in - supposed to be built this week.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Joezilla
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I reached the same conclusions upon purchasing my F450 KR a couple of weeks ago.

I am currently exploring wireless backup options for my 43 ft DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta.

I will rectify the lack of a TPMS for my F450 and trailer with the purchase of a TST color display and 12 flow thru sensors soon.

I love your truck color! I went with the two tone white/stone gray on my King Ranch due to having a black Ram 3500 previously. Dark colors are/were too hard for me to keep clean. Now with the white/stone gray, it takes a LOT to make this truck look dirty.

Loving my F450!

Joe

Old 08-12-2019, 03:43 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,756 Posts
A concerning possibility is that people are paying high dollars for these options (like the Ultimate Tow Camera in the Tow Technology Bundle)... without realizing that the some of that technology ships in a dunnage bag/box inside the cab, and when the truck is PDI'd upon arrival at the dealership, the dunnage box is not removed from the cab and secured with the keys and owner's manual in a locked room at the dealership... or the dunnage box containing the camera IS removed, but by a dishonest dealership service employee who proceeds to sell it on eBay. If not removed, and the vehicle is put on display, then any random tire kicker can squirrel away with the camera box and harness, and once again, we'll find it on eBay.

How would a paying customer be expected to know how the vehicle is shipped, when neither the salesman, nor the sales manager, nor the service manager at the dealership know... despite them collecting the profits from selliing a near $100,000.00 vehicle.

I don't know what exactly ships with what package, but if I had ordered and payed for an option, and didn't have all the equipment Ford usually ships with that option, even if shipped loose, then that is where I would start. First find out what exactly ships with the Tow Technology Group, then find out HOW it ships, then find out if the dealership still has it, then find out how you can get every dollar worth of equipment that you already paid for... even if you don't use it yourself. Yes, even if you end up selling it on eBay.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Check the window sticker. It should be listed. Mine came with the gooseball kit but wasn't in the truck. I had to ask the dealer to find it. It was listed on the MSRP sticker as an option as would be the camera and/or tpms. Same thing happened when we bought our Subaru Ascent. I was in a hurry when we bought it and did not notice the nice factory option sun shade was missing. I had to call the out of state dealer when we got home and they shipped it to me. If I had not checked the window sticker I would not have known.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM
scottz99
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bobv60
You should have gotten a box with the camera, wire harness, and the different plug.
Send you loose the flat 4 wire connector when you install the camera connector you should have a 6 X 4 adaptor in the box also.
I have not (and probably won't) order the kit. As far as I know, nothing comes with the truck; the camera/trailer TPMS is an extra accessory. Thanks

Edit: I checked the window sticker, it clearly says "Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera". Checking with dealer now. Thanks

Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM
scottz99
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Joezilla
Yep, I reached the same conclusions upon purchasing my F450 KR a couple of weeks ago.

I am currently exploring wireless backup options for my 43 ft DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta.

I will rectify the lack of a TPMS for my F450 and trailer with the purchase of a TST color display and 12 flow thru sensors soon.

I love your truck color! I went with the two tone white/stone gray on my King Ranch due to having a black Ram 3500 previously. Dark colors are/were too hard for me to keep clean. Now with the white/stone gray, it takes a LOT to make this truck look dirty.

Loving my F450!

Joe
That is what I did. Here is how it looks.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
truck4andy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like more info on the additional devices needed

Originally Posted by scottz99
That is what I did. Here is how it looks.

Scott,

I'm looking forward to upgrading my F250 for a F450 and I was hoping you can give me a bit more info on the 3 additional devices you've installed and what functions they server?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM
V10DoubleTow
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I have not (and probably won't) order the kit. As far as I know, nothing comes with the truck; the camera/trailer TPMS is an extra accessory. Thanks

Edit: I checked the window sticker, it clearly says "Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera". Checking with dealer now. Thanks
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera and the trailer camera or trailer camera with TPMS are separate items.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM
scottz99
More Turbo

Thanks for the info. I just got an email back from the dealer; the "Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera" is not the camera that goes on the back of your trailer (that is an accessory that you can purchase). It is the camera display that gives you the funny looking image of your trailer from the back of the truck. I think I might have this figured out. Now I just have to figure out "Trailer Reverse Guidance" with the stickers you put on your trailer. That is for later since it only works with conventional trailers; been backing for forty years so it can wait.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM
scottz99
More Turbo
Originally Posted by truck4andy
Scott,

I'm looking forward to upgrading my F250 for a F450 and I was hoping you can give me a bit more info on the 3 additional devices you've installed and what functions they server?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
The one on the left side of the mirror is my wireless 5th wheel back up camera, the one on the right side is a dash cam, the one on the dash tray is a TST 507 TPMS. Maybe someday Ford will integrate all this stuff. With all the cameras on the truck, it would just take a little software to duplicate the function of the dash cam.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,756 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just got an email back from the dealer; the "Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera" is not the camera that goes on the back of your trailer (that is an accessory that you can purchase). It is the camera display that gives you the funny looking image of your trailer from the back of the truck.
I would call Ford's 800 number with your VIN, and get a second opinion. The language, as printed on the Ford literature posted by V10DoubleTow, states "includes 360 degree view camera" and includes "customer PLACED trailer camera FROM THE FACTORY".

It did not say customer PROVIDED trailer camera. Instead, it said customer PLACED.
It did not say camera FROM FORD ACCESSORIES or FROM FORD PARTS DEPARTMENT. Instead, it said FROM THE FACTORY.
It did not say TRUCK camera. Instead, it said TRAILER camera.

Since the trailer did not ship from Ford's factory, but the trailer camera did come from the factory, then by default, the camera included in the package cannot be mounted to anything, because it is a trailer camera, to be mounted on a trailer, and Ford doesn't build or ship trailers from the factory, only the camera, from the factory, for the trailer, that the customer is to PLACE on their own trailer.

As I interpret the Ford literature, a camera, for the trailer, from the factory, should have been included with your truck, since you paid for that package. Such a camera would not be mounted on your truck, as it is for the trailer.

I would contact Ford Motor Company, not the dealer.

Quick Reply: New F450