2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Multi use airbag compressor setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM
pspc271
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi use airbag compressor setup

Anyone know of a way to install an suspension airbag system like the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 with an air compressor but with the ability to use a single compressor to both run the bags and inflate tires, rafts, kids toys, etc.? I called Airlift and they say its not possible but there has got to be a way. I'm not apposed to using a different model compressor but I want to be able to control the airbags from the cab or remotely. I just don't want to have to run two separate compressors. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2019, 02:40 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pspc271
Anyone know of a way to install an suspension airbag system like the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 with an air compressor but with the ability to use a single compressor to both run the bags and inflate tires, rafts, kids toys, etc.? I called Airlift and they say its not possible but there has got to be a way. I'm not apposed to using a different model compressor but I want to be able to control the airbags from the cab or remotely. I just don't want to have to run two separate compressors. Thanks!
This is possible. I have an OBA setup with Viair 444c compressor and 2 2 gallon tanks (4 gal total) running my tire hose/filler, horns, etc.

You can use this to then control your airbags off the same compressor and tank(s) by simply plugging this unit into the mix:
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Navistar86
Senior User
Following. Very interested

Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am interested as well, I bought the Airlift 5000 and was told the same thing, but I also bought the bolt on Vilair onboard air system. Surely someone has figured it out, the Vilair said they would work with most airbags.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Sanspy
Junior User
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a dual viair compressor kit with a 2.5 gallon tank and air lift 5000 air bags. I have done tons of research on this subject. I have found a few options, but most require you to run an air line to the cab. I didn't want to do that. Right now i just use the hose from the kit to fill the bags.

The link is to a system that will allow you to monitor and adjust pressure in your air bags with your phone, but it is a bit pricey. I have not pulled the trigger yet. But there is a $100 rebate right now.

https://pacbrake.com/product/hp10325...ring-controls/

Old 07-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
You can certainly do this, you'll just need to piece the kit together yourself. The upside is that you get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same price as just the airlift bags I have air bags, a 100% duty compressor, air tank, solenoids for fill and dump, and a nice digital PSI gauge. I use 3 upfitter switches for this, one to turn the compressor on (itll auto fill the tank to 150psi from <90psi) and two for filling or dumping the bags. This is a very versatile setup, I fill my truck and trailer tires after a trip to the dunes, I've run some pneumatic tools, I have an opening on the tank for an air horn I havent installed yet. Lots you can do.

Bottom left corner of the tablet, you can see my PSI gauge, tells me the pressure in the tank and in the bags at all times.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
It's very easy to do if you have the Airlift 72000 (or simular) kit
I added a Viair kit with the 2.5 gallon tank separately.
What you need to do after you get the seperate air system installed is to buy a 12VDC solenoid valve and wire it in place of the 72000 compressor.
The way the 72000 system works is the valve block opens and closes the supply air and air dump to the individual bags. When the system sences it needs air it will command the compressor to come on.
Replacing the compressor with a 2WAY Valve (on/off) NC valve will do the same if the valve inlet is connected to an compressed air source.
I have bought a few valves off Amazon that are ok quality, they leak a little air, but that is common with several high quality valves also.
Just take the wire that turns on the compressor of the 72000 system and connect it to one wire of the valve, the other valve wire goes to ground.
You MUST have a 2 way NC valve. You can make 3 way and 4 way valves work, but it is simpler to just get a 2 way
This is one of the valves that will work.
I recomend buying two and kerp one in the truck for emergancys. You wont find one at most parts houses

https://www.amazon.com/4inch-Normally-Closed-Electric-Solenoid/dp/B00ON8XFSO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=12v+dc+pneumatic+solenoid& qid=1564588961&s=gateway&sprefix=12vdc+pneumatic&s r=8-3

Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have done this also. I have a VIAIR 10007 system with AirLift 5000 Ultimate Plus Air Bags. I also have the dual needle air gauge. I ran the gauge to the center console to hide it out of sight. You will need to run air lines from the bags to it. I installed the air bag fill lines to the wheel well as a backup in case the gauge failed. So far so good. I learned a lot about this install when doing it and researching. If you need any help with anything let me know.

This pic was taken at the early stages of install

Air chuck on passenger side behind cab door

Lines going to dual air needle in console

I printed a 3D cover for all the wiring and air lines.

air bag lines installed in the passenger side wheel well.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I can be done, but requires a tank... and my understanding is once you go with a tank, you can't use the wireless air units (don't have the duty cycle I believe for a tank).

Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto
I can be done, but requires a tank... and my understanding is once you go with a tank, you can't use the wireless air units (don't have the duty cycle I believe for a tank).
I have a tank and a wirless 72000 kit, no problems. The duty cycle for compressor in the wireless kits is not enough for a tank, just like you said
A bigger Viair or simular compressor is required for the tank.
The only hose line to the cab is for the pressure gage.
Airing up the bags is MUCH faster now.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I have 150 psi in the tank, filling up the bags to 30 psi takes about .012 seconds haha.

Everyone's installs look great, it funny how many ways you can skin this cat. My one strong recommendation is to use electronic psi senders/gauge, you can run a tiny ga wire up into the cab and you have a lot less chance of leaks since there's so much less air line and connectors in the mix.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Stewartlbz
New User
Wireless airlift setup with digital psi gauges and tank

Tricon can you send me a PM with additional info please.I want to do the wireless airride or firestone bags in the rear a tank with outlet for air hose attachment a single compressor to run both and the digital electronic psi gauges in the cab. 1 that monitors both airbag pressures and 1 for the tank. Like you stated the less airlines the better.
Thanks Dustin

Last edited by Stewartlbz; 05-04-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: D
Old 03-11-2022, 08:35 AM
TTz
New User
Bumping an older one here, but I have a question for you @rjbrittain11 . On your air set up, am I understanding correctly that you are running 1 compressor, 1 tank, dual needle gauge and switches and using it for on board air and for your bags as well? Without using "Normally Off Solenoids"?
I understand what you've done at the gauge, with separate lines to each bag; do you also have a separate gauge for just the tank pressure? What are you using to turn on your compressor?
Are the dual air switches in the dash for each bag enough to operate the bags without issues with the rest of the system, if there is no "Normally Off Solenoid" in the line?

Appreciate your time.
-- Tony

Last edited by TTz; 03-11-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:52 AM
jfcody3962
Mountain Pass
Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
I am waiting on this toy to arrive (waiting for 2+ months I might add)
Wireless bluetooth airspring controller.
I am going to use one side for the airbags, and the other side for my goosebox air hitch

https://pacbrake.com/product/hp10325...ring-controls/

Old 03-11-2022, 06:45 PM
Sledfan600
5th Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the Loadlifter 5000 air bags with the Airlift 73000EZ wireless compressor that uses just a phone app to control. There are 2 separate valves intended to be for left & right air bags along with choice of settings in the app to control them together or individually. If you don't need individual psi settings for each air bag, you can run one air line from one outlet valve on the compressor to control both bags (always at the same psi) which frees up the other compressor outlet valve to use for something else. Once you connect to whatever you want to fill you can control it off the other individual outlet option on the phone app without affecting the air bag psi on the truck.

I sort of stumbled upon this by mistake while installing my compressor and troubleshooting a manifold defect from the factory thinking I had air line leaks. I will say that I would expect anything getting filled to be fairly slow without an air tank but it will still work.

On a side note, if you're looking for another option, I use a 20v Dewalt compressor for a lot of odd air inflation jobs around the farm. It made sense for me because it's portable and I already had plenty of 20v batteries from my other Dewalt tools. I think I paid around $100 for mine without a battery. Again, no air tank but is relatively small and easily portable not being tied to a cord. For how often I use it I would likely have bought it even if I had to buy a battery just for it.

Quick Reply: Multi use airbag compressor setup