Here we go again. ..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Here we go again. ..

Wife and I got married 4th of July!!

so wife’s 95 7.3 broke down on her today. I couldn’t get it running.

Freeway, 70mph. Check engine light. Loss of power. Pulled over. Shutoff. Tried to restart. Crank crank crank nothing. Swapped cps. Still nothing. Unplugged ICP. Still wouldn’t start. Drained fuel bowl. Checked filter looked clean. Crank and watch fuel fill up inside filter housing. Seemed slow?

checked all fuses. Under hood and in cab. All good. Tach moves to about 200 rpm when cranking.

Unplugged batteries removed pcm to check to make sure TS6 chip still tight. It was. ?

Not syre what what to do next. Scanned it. No codes stored at all.

Did a buzz test yesterday when the truck still ran because the check engine light has been popping on and off the last few days. Also ran kinda rough after going to store when we started it to go home
. All sounded strong. Did a cylinder contribution test last night said 6&8 faulty. Did test again only 8 faulty according to scanner.

This is morning on her way to work is when it died. O also just replaced the whole throttle assembly. The IVS was bad

Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
6-8 CCT issues can happen with low fuel pressure

Can run two temp fuel lines into a bucket/tank to eliminate the fuel lines, tank, tank valve

get a cheap tire gauge 100 PSI to check at the bowl

Should have 20 while cranking and no less than 45 at WOT in 3rd gear. some fittings, gauge and long grease gun line for a road test works well

Old 07-18-2019, 04:06 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Ok. I’ll see what I can do. It currently won’t run so I can at least check cranking psi

Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Tested fuel pressure with tire gauge. Was good. As engine cranked. 20,30,35 psi

still wint run. Removed chip. Still nothing.

Popped cap on HPOP reservoir 1” of oil. Filled it up completely. Still nothing.

Took cap cap off HPOP. cranked engine, oil puked out. Which tells me LPOP is working.

Im thinking the IDM took a poo. ??

Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't jump to conclusions and start throwing parts at it.

Check engine light and no codes stored, that means something. Not sure what? What did you use to scan it?

Look at the no-start flowchart from the FAQ for this forum. It has saved a lot of guessing. The FAQ is good too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...1qRU1VVGc/view

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ostic-faq.html

Some of the boxes in the flowchart are links, to tell you what to do.

Congrats on the new wife with the cool truck.

I'd link to a new wife FAQ but you're on your own there. No user's manual either.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,168 Likes on 949 Posts
Maybe you have a loose battery terminal? I had stuff crank and not start before due to that.

I am sure the PCM and IDM require a minimum voltage level to turn 'on' are the batteries fully charged? Yet, the tach registering makes me think PCM is on.

Probably something related to the fuel pump is where I woild start testing. I would rent a gauge setup or make one. I think someone mentioned a grease gun hose and a gauge

Guys have had HPOPs kick it on the road. Any good scanner can show the pressure and duty cycle of that cranking easy.

Either way, keep us posted.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
I checked the battery terminals. And I jumped it to my dodge for 30 minutes to make sure they were charged. A buddy has a spare IDM and I’ll try it. And I definitely will look at the flow chart. Thank you on the congrats too!!

Old 07-20-2019, 12:24 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Hmmmmmm....need to see if you have any codes.....but, BUT..... sounds like the same symptoms/scenario when my HPOP went kablooie. Could always crank with a line off and see if it oozes oil or shoots it. Just a quick, but messy check.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Update.

Put in different IDM, nothing still. Cranks and cranks

Hooked up up jumper cables to the drivers battery kinda cranked slow. Decided to move jumper cables to pass side. Cranked wayyy faster. But still no start

while cranking about the fifth rotation the oil pressure gauge jumps up into operating range but no start?

Ipr maybw?

one other thing, she kept smelling burnt plastic. I found the EBPV plug melted to the turbo and stuck. Metal contacting metal. Any reason this could’ve screwed something up? All fuses still good

Old 07-21-2019, 09:43 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Update.

Ok guys. Good news. It was the IPR. buddy gave me a used one to try and she fired right up.

Also the FPR screen was SUPER caked so I cleaned it completely as well. That could’ve been the problem too all along but not really sure. It would puff smoke cranking so I’m thinking it wasn’t just the FPR screen but definitely could’ve been a contributing factor

Old 07-22-2019, 08:19 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Update to the update. The IPR didn’t fix it after all.

Idled and revved it in driveway for an hour. No problem. So I thought we were ok.

Made it 5 blocks. Truck shutoff. Won’t restart.

Maybe the HPOP is bad.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd be thinking electrical. Also kinda curious why it would crank over better when you jumpstarted it from one battery versus the other battery. Something;s wrong there. Have you checked your ground wires? All of them? Both ends?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
If you’re talking on the battery posts yes I have, the previous owner jerry rigged up the + on the passenger battery side with temporary crimps that I’ve not been able to fix yet. I need to get the oem cables.

Buddy is gonna bring his laptop over and we’re gonna try to monitor things as I crank it over. He’s thinking the hpop is acting erratic. Not sure which program he’s using yet.

Weve owned this truck for a little over a year now. Nothing like this has happened.

We we live in the Columbia river gorge in Oregon. High winds and erratic weather. She said she thought it might’ve all started with a huge gust of wind the day before it broke down cause check engine light and then it idled rough an hour or two later when we went to go to the store and things. But I haven’t found anything obvious quite yet.

After we scan it I will get back to y’all with all and any results. I hate searching forums for problems and There’s never an answer that resolved the issue. Don’t wanna be that guy. Thanks guys so far.

And yes I will check over the grounds

Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,168 Likes on 949 Posts
Byron had an HPOP poop at random, get test details from him.

I bought new cables from Custom Battery Cables in AZ. Boss parts. Opt for the military connection upgrade.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Byron had an HPOP poop at random, get test details from him.

I bought new cables from Custom Battery Cables in AZ. Boss parts. Opt for the military connection upgrade.

Im not sure who he is? Any username or link to the thread?

Quick Reply: Here we go again. ..