Computer Chips & Tuners  

Econoline hand held tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Dw89xj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Econoline hand held tuner help

After much reading, I'm still a bit unsure, but has anyone had positive experience with the sct tuners on an Econoline with the 4.2? The f150 and mustang guys both seem to have a couple preferences for hand held tuners, sct x4 was one of them. In my eBay and Craiglist scouring I found an sct x4 that says it works on my van. It's hard to convince myself to spend 400 bucks on a tuner, and it sounds like it would be best to Dyno tune it also for a couple different tunes to store on the unit, if I am understanding what I read properly. The features sound great on the description of the sct unit, but I'm not sure how many I'd actually use besides changing gear ratio and tire size and possibly shift points. The van is going to be stock for quite awhile engine wise unless my luck finds a great deal on a turbo or supercharger setup.
• This van is being converted to 4x4, it's a2002 e250 4.2 4r70w. It has sentimental value to me so I'm keeping it and making it as good as possible. It won't be a heavy hauler. At most 1400 lbs of atvs a small trailer maybe 1100lbs(it's a stripped down pop-up camper). Occasionally building materials on same trailer. It's mostly just going to be my hunting and camping handicap van, not ever planning on any heavy hauling at least not for any considerable distance. Just my cool guy cripple cruiser that I can go off-road in and not worry when we get snow.
*Edit* I should mention I'm happy with the vans power while empty aside from my wife, myself, my power wheelchair and 4 35s not on wheels. It's an ex medical transport van so it's very stripped down except a row of jump seats on one side and tie downs in the floor, also a shuttle bus size wheelchair lift. In the current 2wd configuration the semi float d60 has 4.10 gear.

Don't mind the ugliness it's currently at the body shop getting some pampering
​​​​​​

Old 11-09-2019, 10:03 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I have both the 4.2 and 5.4 engines in my vans. I don't think you will gain anything other than spending $400 on the SCT tuner and having bragging rights that your 4.2 has a tune.

I bought the SCT Tuner from 5 Star to tune my 5.4 van. It stalled, sputtered, and ran terrible. I was climbing a big mountain grade in Utah and I had to pull over and set it back to stock. 5 Star provided another tune that did not feel much different than stock. My fuel economy went from 13-15 mpg to 11! I set the van back to stock.

5 Star has good customer service. Maybe my 5.4 is a "one-off" van.

I put a light tow tune on my 6.0 diesel van and that was a noticeable improvement. In fact, it was scary noticeable. I set that van back to stock too as I was afraid of blowing a head gasket.

Nothing wrong with keeping a vehicle stock.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Dw89xj
Freshman User
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I have both the 4.2 and 5.4 engines in my vans. I don't think you will gain anything other than spending $400 on the SCT tuner and having bragging rights that your 4.2 has a tune.

I bought the SCT Tuner from 5 Star to tune my 5.4 van. It stalled, sputtered, and ran terrible. I was climbing a big mountain grade in Utah and I had to pull over and set it back to stock. 5 Star provided another tune that did not feel much different than stock. My fuel economy went from 13-15 mpg to 11! I set the van back to stock.

5 Star has good customer service. Maybe my 5.4 is a "one-off" van.

I put a light tow tune on my 6.0 diesel van and that was a noticeable improvement. In fact, it was scary noticeable. I set that van back to stock too as I was afraid of blowing a head gasket.

Nothing wrong with keeping a vehicle stock.

As of now I'm happy with how the 4.2 powerwise, it seems to pull the van along pretty well, much better than my dodge shorty v6 does. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the scratch, I have buddies that it seems like every time I talk to them they're trying a different tune whether they switched intakes or whatever other thing they do. So I guess with the 4.2 it's a go big or go home deal, either build it and go all out or let it stock. Il just stay stock for as long as I can. I can make up for any losses from switching it to 4x4 with gears. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:54 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I have owned the 4.2 for 7+ years. I keep it because it's so reliable. I have camped all over the Western United States and British Columbia. The only time it ever let me down was a cracked radiator right before entering Glacier National Park. It's under-powered going over steep grades. As long as I keep the speed slow and not over-rev the engine, I am fine. I don't like the way it handles compared to E350. We use the E350 exclusively for camping as it can handle just about anything that I throw at it. The E150 gets me to work and back every day.

I see you have 4.10 gearing. My E150 has 3.73. Your van is better suited for climbing mountains than my van.

Both are useful vans. Keep your 4.2 as it will serve you for many years without fail. If you want upgrades that count, install Bilstein shocks all around. I installed Active Suspension to prevent flipping my longer E350 van. I first installed it on the E150 and it drove noticeably better.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 AM
Dw89xj
Freshman User
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I have owned the 4.2 for 7+ years. I keep it because it's so reliable. I have camped all over the Western United States and British Columbia. The only time it ever let me down was a cracked radiator right before entering Glacier National Park. It's under-powered going over steep grades. As long as I keep the speed slow and not over-rev the engine, I am fine. I don't like the way it handles compared to E350. We use the E350 exclusively for camping as it can handle just about anything that I throw at it. The E150 gets me to work and back every day.

I see you have 4.10 gearing. My E150 has 3.73. Your van is better suited for climbing mountains than my van.

Both are useful vans. Keep your 4.2 as it will serve you for many years without fail. If you want upgrades that count, install Bilstein shocks all around. I installed Active Suspension to prevent flipping my longer E350 van. I first installed it on the E150 and it drove noticeably better.
I will be running bilstein 5100s after my 4x4 conversion. I have most of the parts gathered to complete it, my super duty axles are 3.73. I'm considering 4.56 or 4.88 because I will be running 315 75 16 tires. It would be much more affordable to just keep my semi float 60 rear and gear the front to match, but I'm a big fan of being overbuilt. I'm pretty sure just gearing will take care of my needs but I have a bug for extra power too, lol.