6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Radio upgrade with back-up camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM
bilter
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed this for a backup cam
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW29Y7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW29Y7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and connected it to a Pioneer AVH 4100 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-4100NEX with a steering wheel control adapter https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASWC1/Axxess-ASWC-1-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html
For the camera, if you select a head unit that already has the lines integrated for a BU camera get the model that does not have them. I missed this detail, the lines that are stock on the camera I bought are too thick and honestly I find them useless. The head unit, if it has them, allows you to adjust the width so you can provide as much clearance as you would like when backing up.

As far as the Pioneer head unit, even though it was "plug and play" I ma investigating now if the unit is draining my batteries. I don't use my truck much but I have concluded I do have a draw on my batteries when not in use. Some research indicates that some after market head units may not completely shut down even when on a switched circuit when installed in certain vehicles. Im not convinced yet but I should have an answer this weekend.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by bilter
I installed this for a backup cam https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and connected it to a Pioneer AVH 4100 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...EX/AVH-4100NEX with a steering wheel control adapter https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASW...l-Adapter.html

For the camera, if you select a head unit that already has the lines integrated for a BU camera get the model that does not have them. I missed this detail, the lines that are stock on the camera I bought are too thick and honestly I find them useless. The head unit, if it has them, allows you to adjust the width so you can provide as much clearance as you would like when backing up.

As far as the Pioneer head unit, even though it was "plug and play" I ma investigating now if the unit is draining my batteries. I don't use my truck much but I have concluded I do have a draw on my batteries when not in use. Some research indicates that some after market head units may not completely shut down even when on a switched circuit when installed in certain vehicles. Im not convinced yet but I should have an answer this weekend.
Try pulling the accessory delay relay. that will remove most of the power to the head unit. The memory power will be the only thing still be going to it after that. You could check that
with a meter and see how many amps it pulling after things have shut down. Takes about 1/2 hour for the truck to go to sleep. After that you can't open or close doors or turn things
on or off. I would put the meter in map mode and read what the amps are when on then check after the truck has been sitting for the 1/2 hour. The wire you will be looking at is the
constant on 12 volt line and not the switched.

Attached Images
Old 02-13-2020, 07:23 AM
bilter
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Try pulling the accessory delay relay. that will remove most of the power to the head unit. The memory power will be the only thing still be going to it after that. You could check that
with a meter and see how many amps it pulling after things have shut down. Takes about 1/2 hour for the truck to go to sleep. After that you can't open or close doors or turn things
on or off. I would put the meter in map mode and read what the amps are when on then check after the truck has been sitting for the 1/2 hour. The wire you will be looking at is the
constant on 12 volt line and not the switched.
I will do that. Thank you. I had pulled the fuse for the radio power supply and have been checking battery voltage every 12 hrs or so I'll put an amp meter on this weekend and start pulling fuses as well, just to make sure what the culprit is. In the longer term I believe, what ever the draw is, cost me a new FICM

Old 06-28-2020, 08:01 AM
KingLariat80
New User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Are you taking suggestions on aftermarket units or do you only want to hear from anyone using a newer OEM unit?

If you're open, I'd suggest Atoto A6. I can supply pics and info if needed.

I need some assistance with the A6 wiring for the backup camera. Any help would be appreciated. PM me to keep this tread clear. Thanks!!

Old 07-29-2022, 12:46 PM
hanoverclarkegs
Trailering
Atoto A6 Pro battery drain

I've had this unit installed for 2 years now and had battery drain issues that finally traced back to the head unit. Killed 2 new Interstate batteries over the last 2 years. The unit draws 250 mA measured several hours after the vehicle was turned off. I reinstalled the factory stereo and the quiescent current draw falls to 36 mA after 40 mins. I was pleased with the Atoto unit for a couple of months, but then the Bluetooth phone connection became slow to respond and the backup camera quit working. I would like an aftermarket touch screen with a backup camera, steering wheel controls and the ability to run Torque Pro. Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2022, 01:45 AM
Adawson23
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m actually using the Atoto A6 and it’s working great. I ordered it off Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-30-2022, 10:03 AM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Adawson23
I’m actually using the Atoto A6 and it’s working great. I ordered it off Amazon