Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird electrical gremlin

Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 PM
upanddownau
New User
upanddownau is starting off with a positive reputation.
Weird electrical gremlin

Hi I have a 2018 250 platinum 6.7 diesel 4wd - 6 months old which has been converted to RHD for Australia. All has been going fine (11,000+ miles ) until recently when at odd times I receive a message telling me the adaptive cruise control is not operating. After driving for a couple of minutes I turn off the motor, wait a couple of minutes and start up and all is fine. The other day I started the vehicle and got a message that the pre-collision function wasn't working and found the adaptive cruise control wasn't working as well and did the same thing drove a few minutes, switched off, then restarted and all was well again. Spoke with a couple of people over here including the converters (who are very experienced with Fords) and they all tell me that this is completely unknown and have no idea of the cause. Although a minor issue compared to some I read about, I find it extremely irritating and wonder if anyone here have had this problem and what cause was found?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
Communication between modules or a module is damaged? Can you find a Ford dealer to scan the system for error codes, communication errors? could be a bad module, could be chaffed wiring, I am thinking you’ll have to work through it in stages that way to get to the bottom of things.does your builder have the IDS, or Forscan? Would be a good place to start.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM
Spoojr
Senior User
Spoojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck was doing this exact same thing, literally every 10 days or so. A restart would always fix it, and other times, simply hitting 'ok' through the messages cleared it. You and I have the same vehicle as well. Every time I took it the dealer, they would tell me that the truck didn't have any codes saved (which was a bunch of BS since I retrieved them with FORSCAN), and everything appeared fine. (Since it couldn't be duplicated)

I began taking notes every time that it occurred (along with the weather in case it was a possible water intrusion problem), which led me to discover it was a little over a week between instances regardless of weather. I also bought a bluetooth adapter and FORSCAN so I could scan the code while the error was still activated. After about 10 occurrences, along with the error codes from FORSCAN, I brought the truck back in to the dealer with all the notes I had taken.

The error indicated in my truck included a couple different error codes. One of them was a "Steering angle sensor plausibility failure". (I would assume that means the number the sensor gave didn't make sense, IE: as I'm turning it gives 1,2,3,4,5,96,7,8,9) I'm not certain though, as I'm not a Ford Engineer or Ford mechanic, that's just what makes the most sense based on the name. The other codes were ABS sensor codes, which appear to be attributed to the bad angle sensor information received. I don't have the record in front of me to give you the exact codes, but they are in my truck and I would be happy to get them for you if you are interested.

When I brought the records in to the dealer, they were pleased that I actually had data for them to start investigating. After keeping my vehicle for 3 days (while fixing other minor warranty items), they advised me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle. However, in the writeup of the mechanic's notes, it looks like they checked all of the harness and did wire pin tests on all of the modules that were called out for having an error code. This is definitely something I didn't want to hear, since I had taken this truck in 3 times for this same error, and always got the same information. ("Nothing is wrong...we can't find a problem").

Either way, I am happy to report that after getting my vehicle back, the errors have not reappeared for over a month now. It literally could have been something as simple as a bad connection at the wiring connectors, and simply unplugging them and plugging them back in resolved the connection issue. That issue has been my only complaint with my truck, so I hope it indeed stays away. I will keep you posted if it returns. I wish you luck with the problem, but as 'mhoefer' suggested, I highly recommend buying a bluetooth adapter and FORSCAN so you can grab the code while it is showing. (Since it clears after a restart) I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but possibly unplugging and replugging the wiring harnesses for the ABS sensor, etc may clear your issue. It could just be a bad connection. Trust me...I feel your pain. I banged my head against the wall many times over this issue, and I hope it is finally resolved!

Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 AM
BOSS 379
New User
BOSS 379 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 AM
flumpydog
Junior User
flumpydog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks BOSS 379, I was going to point them to that same thread that I started. The Adaptive Cruise issue you are experiencing was one of the issues I had. First time this was happening, it was due to the connector at the back having corrosion, which in turn was impacting all sorts of things on the truck. Once we got that fixed, the problem happened again awhile later, this time it was the module for the adaptive cruise and collision assist module that is located behind one of those black plastic inserts in the front bumper. For the module in my case, it never threw any codes, but it was faulty and the new one resolved all those problems.

My saga still continues, the latest being the interior alarm is now haunted and goes off at random now, waking up all the neighbours ;-/

Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 PM
upanddownau
New User
upanddownau is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spoojr & Mhoefer many thanks for your information very much appreciated. Will inform the converters as they have a guru electric bod that is well up on the eFfie foibles with electrics except this one. Also noticed rust spots on the suspension arms and steering which would alarm me if I were driving in snow a lot - lucky I hate snow.

The Ford dealers over here don't like accepting anything to do with "imported" trucks and even have problems solving problems outside the the standard dead battery & oil changes :-)

Strange that attitude to"imported" vehicles - as ALL vehicles on their lots are imported. Australia ceased vehicle manufacturing in 2017 after the vehicle manufacturers lost the subsidised manufacturing gravy when the government at the time said enough was enough (the average subsidy per vehicle was in the vicinity of 9-12%) so off went the majors -GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota to their lower wage plants in Asia.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Spoojr
Senior User
Spoojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best of luck! Please keep us posted on your progress. I checked the electrical connectors from the other poster when I first had this problem, and mine was dry with no corrosion. I did add Ford grease to the connector just in case, but it didnít help my issue. Not until they disconnected and tested those connections did my problem go away. (Thus far....fingers crossed)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.