Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Compression Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey guys a couple of questions:

1. I removed my injectors and in the process of trying to get the worst one on the passenger side out, I broke off a 1/4" x 1/2" piece of the aluminum oil diverter and it has slid into the push road hole. I am still trying to get it out, but it is under the tunnel with maybe three inches above it using a inspection camera and a pick with adhesive on it. BTW, to get that injector out I had to remove the magnetic actuator (I wish I had remembered that was how I did it before, then I would not have used as much force on the pry bar to get it out which broke off the oil diverter because it is impossible to get a clear view of the injector.)

If I can't get it out, will it ruin the cam? or will it fall all the way through to the oil pan?

2. The 5K generator was at the cabin when it burned down on Sunday, so I have a custom made bracket for the 13" diameter generator which I no longer have. What is the Ford bracket part number for the dual alternator set up on these 7.3 PSD? I cannot run the engine without the serpentine belt and I cannot connect the serpentine belt because I cannot put the generator with the serpentine pulley back on.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:26 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Damn, I hate to hear about the cabin.

I need to look at a loose engine and decide where that piece of diverter will go. The diverters should be removed before removing injectors to prevent this. A couple solenoids need to be removed to get injectors out of a van...

Is the bracket for generator different than dual alternator bracket? I have a single alternator bracket or (3) laying around here if you can make that work.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:48 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks Jason. My wife and I have each other and will rebuild. I wonder if I can find the bracket in the ash. It is actually the upper right bracket that I need. I can take a photo of what I have now, but I don't know what the upper bracket looks like in the van because I can't find a diagram or a photo of it.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,515 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Thanks Jason. My wife and I have each other and will rebuild. I wonder if I can find the bracket in the ash. It is actually the upper right bracket that I need. I can take a photo of what I have now, but I don't know what the upper bracket looks like in the van because I can't find a diagram or a photo of it.
Sorry to hear about the cabin. The fires out west are very bad this year. Things are just things and though their loss is still fresh, you can and will rebuild, as you said.

I would like to help with a drawing if I can.

The Ford Service Manual has some drawings in the Workshop Manual volumes that pertain to the E series. I am not following you on what I would be looking for though.

Are you looking for one of the alternator brackets in a drawing?

EDIT: I see you started a new thread for the parts you are looking for, I will see what I can dig up.

Thread link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-numbers.html

Old 09-02-2021, 09:19 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 287 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by AubieTN
I too punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter after loosening. Once the oil has drained, I plug it with a golf tee then remove it with no further dribbles.
that’s clever...may have to try that one. I usually use a piece of duct tape to stop it from dribbling on me.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:30 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,974 Likes on 1,963 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
that’s clever...may have to try that one. I usually use a piece of duct tape to stop it from dribbling on me.
I like the feeling of warm oil dribbling on me because it feels like... oh wait which forum is this?

The following 2 users liked this post by FordTruckNoob:
Old 09-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Bogeys7.3
New User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Hey guys a couple of questions:

1. I removed my injectors and in the process of trying to get the worst one on the passenger side out, I broke off a 1/4" x 1/2" piece of the aluminum oil diverter and it has slid into the push road hole. I am still trying to get it out, but it is under the tunnel with maybe three inches above it using a inspection camera and a pick with adhesive on it. BTW, to get that injector out I had to remove the magnetic actuator (I wish I had remembered that was how I did it before, then I would not have used as much force on the pry bar to get it out which broke off the oil diverter because it is impossible to get a clear view of the injector.)

If I can't get it out, will it ruin the cam? or will it fall all the way through to the oil pan?

2. The 5K generator was at the cabin when it burned down on Sunday, so I have a custom made bracket for the 13" diameter generator which I no longer have. What is the Ford bracket part number for the dual alternator set up on these 7.3 PSD? I cannot run the engine without the serpentine belt and I cannot connect the serpentine belt because I cannot put the generator with the serpentine pulley back on.
Is the dual alternator bracket the same for trucks, as well as vans?
If so, I think I've got one laying around the shop somewhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bogeys7.3:
Old 09-02-2021, 02:54 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,515 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogeys7.3
Is the dual alternator bracket the same for trucks, as well as vans?
If so, I think I've got one laying around the shop somewhere.
@Bogeys7.3 , Tim has another thread dedicated to finding this part which is here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-numbers.html

Very generous offer by the way and thank you.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:13 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I don’t think it’s good news about the diverter lost down the pushrod hole...

Looks like it’s pretty easily stopped by the head gasket that covers most of the opening for pushrods. Below that are the lifters and cam and the remainder of the rotating assembly with very little clearance between crank counter balance and block. A friends truck recently ate a pushrod and it ended up wedged between crank and block and required crank to be unbolted to be removed.

The red circle is a roller lifter and the blue lines represent where the head gasket would be. (Head removed from block in this pic)

Not a great pic, but lower image shows head on and the head gasket that is visible through the pushrod opening.